Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

speed pulse generator location?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 03:00 AM
mikeef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speed pulse generator location?

Does anyone know where the speed pulse generator is located?
Old 01-06-2004, 08:13 AM
themyst

when you remove the center console, there is a white box. in the white box, there is a white wire. cut and splice the speed sensor wire (assuming pioneer headunit) into that white wire.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:36 AM
isaaktnt

Default How can you tell?

I had it installed by a shop but not sure they connected it. How can I tell? When I go to info and connection status the pulse reading is always zero. When i go to the 3D status then the speed there works but I am not sure that they connected it correctly. I have AVH-P6500 plus the AIC-80? model.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2004, 11:50 AM
mikeef

They haven't connected it; if they had, the pulse reading should go up when you are drving.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:32 PM
themyst

Default Re: How can you tell?

Originally posted by isaaktnt
I had it installed by a shop but not sure they connected it. How can I tell? When I go to info and connection status the pulse reading is always zero. When i go to the 3D status then the speed there works but I am not sure that they connected it correctly. I have AVH-P6500 plus the AIC-80? model.

Thanks
yeah they didn't connect the speed sensor. Its not that big of a deal to be without the speed sensor regardless... the positioning of the GPS by itself is more than sufficient. I didn't connect the speed sensor for a while, and I didn't notice any real improvement after it was done.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:50 PM
mikeef

I think it is somewhere different in UK cars, but no-onein the UK seems to know where!
Old 07-10-2005, 02:48 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by themyst
when you remove the center console, there is a white box. in the white box, there is a white wire. cut and splice the speed sensor wire (assuming pioneer headunit) into that white wire.
There are no white wires into my white box - there is a white wire with gray bands and another white wire with a black line down the lenght of it.

Old 08-07-2005, 08:52 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

OK to confim the speed pluse wire is the white wire with light gray loops every inch and a half coming from the center connector of the unified meter and AC amp.

Old 02-06-2006, 02:36 PM
FirstZ
Banned

Paul,

I used your instructions today. I was able to find the speed pulse wire w/ ease and my AVN works perfect!

Thank you,
Rob
Old 07-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Nforce1

Originally Posted by FirstZ
Paul,

I used your instructions today. I was able to find the speed pulse wire w/ ease and my AVN works perfect!

Thank you,
Rob
What did u use to tap into the wire?? or did you splice it?? im trying to aviod having to cut the wire.

If I dont tap into the speed sensor wire, will the voice navigation not work?? Im having some issues with that. I have the voice setting at "7" but no voice directions are ever made. Is it because I didnt tap the speed sensor wire??
Old 07-15-2006, 03:32 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by Nforce1
What did u use to tap into the wire?? or did you splice it?? im trying to aviod having to cut the wire.

If I dont tap into the speed sensor wire, will the voice navigation not work?? Im having some issues with that. I have the voice setting at "7" but no voice directions are ever made. Is it because I didnt tap the speed sensor wire??
Use a 3M splicer available at any PepBoys or the like. They slide over the target wire and then you insert the wire you wish to join to the target. Then you use a pair of pliers to crimp a metal fixture into place and then close a plastic cover over the top to seal the connection. You'll want the red color one for that gauge wire.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Kirkster

That is correct... No speed sensor no voice guidance...
Old 07-15-2006, 11:13 PM
Nforce1

Originally Posted by Kirkster
That is correct... No speed sensor no voice guidance...
That would explain that!
Old 07-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Nforce1

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
Use a 3M splicer available at any PepBoys or the like. They slide over the target wire and then you insert the wire you wish to join to the target. Then you use a pair of pliers to crimp a metal fixture into place and then close a plastic cover over the top to seal the connection. You'll want the red color one for that gauge wire.

I tried to do this.. but for some reason, it still didnt sence the speed sensor wire?? the unit still says "check speed pulse."
Old 07-16-2006, 09:31 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I took a crappy pic of this wire recently:

Old 07-17-2006, 01:26 AM
Nforce1

Yeah, thats the wire I clamped to... maybe it just wasnt a good enough clamp??
Old 11-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Questhate

Yeah, thats the wire I clamped to... maybe it just wasnt a good enough clamp??
So did you figure this out? I'm installing an AVIC-Z1 into my car this weekend and don't know **** about electrical wires and whatnot. My dad is helping me with the install, and he's an electric technician, but he's not familiar with the specifics of my car. So the Speed Pulse Wire (white with gray loops) is the only wire that needs to be clamped, right? Any other wires need to be spliced? What's the red gauge wire that Paul was talking about a few posts up?

I wish there was an install manual online specifically for this deck in this car. I have an install manual from crutchfield which shows directions on installing any generic double din head unit into my car, as well as instructions on installing the DVD-based navigation system (specifically, the AVIC-D2 or AVIC-N1, I think), but not the Z1. If someone could point me to some useful resources, that would be very kind of you.