Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Aftermarket HU with BOSE speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 06:15 PM
ChrisMCagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftermarket HU with BOSE speakers?

I've done a lot of searching but cannot find a difinitive answer to my question...

I want to replace the BOSE Head Unit in my Touring model 350Z with one of the following two HU's:

Clarion VRX935VD
Pioneer AVH-P7500DVD

My question is, can I just swap the BOSE HU with the new HU and keep the BOSE speakers and/or amp? Will it work? I am looking to go the cheapest possible route.

Please let me know

-Chrismcagle
Old 01-07-2004, 04:05 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Aftermarket HU with BOSE speakers?

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
I've done a lot of searching but cannot find a difinitive answer to my question...

I want to replace the BOSE Head Unit in my Touring model 350Z with one of the following two HU's:

Clarion VRX935VD
Pioneer AVH-P7500DVD

My question is, can I just swap the BOSE HU with the new HU and keep the BOSE speakers and/or amp? Will it work? I am looking to go the cheapest possible route.

Please let me know

-Chrismcagle

To run the Bose amps and speakers from a normal head unit you would need level converters. The Bose amps are expecting a differential input but aftermarket stereos typically have "line outs" or "speaker outs" (usually both).

That said, the Bose amps and speakers are the worst part of the system. Putting a decent headunit on the Bose amps and speakers would (in my opinion) be a waste of time and money. the sound would probably be as poor as the stock setup. (the Bose speakers are junk, and the amps have some really wierd EQs in them).

If you want to stay "sort of cheap" you can buy a high power head unit and drive new speakers directly with it. You could then add an amp later if you need more power.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:59 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default High Power?

AndyB,

Well, I am actually planning to go buy the Clarion unit today after work. I must admit that I don't know much about stereo systems and what all is involved in making them work, but I have heard (similar to what you mentioned) about running the speakers directly from the HU. When you say "High Power" what is that defined as? The Clarion HU says that it outputs 208-Watt (52W x 4). Is that powerful enough? I have also heard that I can connect the new HU with no problems so I am not sure what to do now.

-Chrismcagle
Old 01-07-2004, 08:48 AM
alienx

That's about as high as any other. And that is probably peak power, definitely not RMS (as though there was a standard anyway!). But if you get a HU, just make sure you get all the appropriate line outs on the back that you may need to add amps later.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:03 AM
AndyB

Default Re: High Power?

AndyB,

Well, I am actually planning to go buy the Clarion unit today after work. I must admit that I don't know much about stereo systems and what all is involved in making them work, but I have heard (similar to what you mentioned) about running the speakers directly from the HU. When you say "High Power" what is that defined as? The Clarion HU says that it outputs 208-Watt (52W x 4). Is that powerful enough? I have also heard that I can connect the new HU with no problems so I am not sure what to do now.

-Chrismcagle
How much power is enough depends on how loud you like your music and how efficient your speakers are.

In my opinion that head unit should be powerfull enough for most people, unless you REALLY like to crank your tunes.

You can not run those speaker outputs from the new HU in to the Bose amps. I am not sure if it would damage it (it might) but I am pretty sure it wouldn't work.

If you shop around you can get VERY nice speakers for like $50 or $60 a pair. That would be my recomendation.

For example, you can get a pair of Infinty Reference 6002i 6.5" 2 way speakers for under $55 a pair.

Speakers - Discount Jungle (part of yahoo shopping)

Just my $0.02

AndyB
Old 01-07-2004, 10:33 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default Line Output Converter

I have been talking to another member here and he gave me 3 options...

1. Completely replace all BOSE equipment
2. Install a Line Output Converter (LOC) to the new HU which will then enable me to use the BOSE amp and speakers
3. Wire the speakers directly to the new HU

I like the LOC method, but I am not sure which device I need to get. He mentioned AudioLink and Soundgate? Anyone have any idea which LOC I need for my situation? I also have the factory NAV if that matters?

-Chrismcagle
Old 01-07-2004, 12:26 PM
AndyB

Default LOCs

My guess is that a 4 channel LOC will cost more than 2 decent pairs of speakers.

But if this is what you want to do you might want to check out www.linkmeup.com . They have some Bose level converters as well as cable adapters.

AndyB
Old 01-07-2004, 01:22 PM
ss350

Default Hey ChrisMCagle

It would be great if you could keep us updated on how it turns out b/c I was debating b/w the same 2 HU's, but I wasn't sure how everything would hook up. I plan on buying new speakers and an amp, but not till summer. I think I'm going to pick up the Pioneer in a few days.

BTW on my last car I put it an aftermarket HU (52watts x 4) that directly drove my speakers. It sounded great and was plenty loud, so I don't think you necessarily need a new amp.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:00 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Re: Hey ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by ss350
It would be great if you could keep us updated on how it turns out b/c I was debating b/w the same 2 HU's, but I wasn't sure how everything would hook up. I plan on buying new speakers and an amp, but not till summer. I think I'm going to pick up the Pioneer in a few days.

BTW on my last car I put it an aftermarket HU (52watts x 4) that directly drove my speakers. It sounded great and was plenty loud, so I don't think you necessarily need a new amp.
I'll definitely document the install as well as the outcome for everyone.

AndyB, thanks for the link, however those units look a lot more involved that what I have been told about and are a lot more expensive . For example, the P.I.E. HRC-NISS95 1995-2000 Nissan Headunit Replacement Converter says that it does what I'm looking for, and it's only $49.00 rather than $149.00. I have also been told about the Soundgate OEM4A and OEM2 units, but I can't find a price for them. There is such a broad range in prices and I don't want to spend $149.00 on something when a $49.00 thing works just fine... ya know what I mean??

-Chrismcagle
Old 01-07-2004, 03:44 PM
zzzya

The head unit would be the last piece that I would replace in the touring model especially with the NAV. As mentioned the speakers are the worst part of the system and should be replaced, especially the fronts. Then go for a better amp and use a converter to hook the aftermarket amp into the sytem. I would only replace the headunit if you are needing more functionality from the unit that you do not already have or are in need of. The factory HU is not that bad at all and is the least bang for the buck in upgrading the stereo system in the Z.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:08 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by zzzya
The head unit would be the last piece that I would replace in the touring model especially with the NAV. As mentioned the speakers are the worst part of the system and should be replaced, especially the fronts. Then go for a better amp and use a converter to hook the aftermarket amp into the sytem. I would only replace the headunit if you are needing more functionality from the unit that you do not already have or are in need of. The factory HU is not that bad at all and is the least bang for the buck in upgrading the stereo system in the Z.
Well, I just got home with my new Clarion VRX935VD Head Unit. I wanted to replace the head unit for following reasons...

1. I was going to hook up an XBOX as an in-car PC and was going to attempt to integrate it into the factory NAV screen using Swoobyz's method, but decided it was too much work for a jerry-rigged setup.

2. My main reason for hooking up the XBOX was for DVD playback as well as MP3 playback

After a lot of thinking I decided that the smartest move would be to leave the factory NAV alone and just get a new HU that did all the things I wanted it to do... hense forth, the Clarion.

Now I need to find out a difinitive answer on which converter I need to get to hook up to the BOSE speakers. Still too many "maybe's" and no Definitely's.

-Chrismcagle
Old 01-07-2004, 05:13 PM
frankmusic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Keep the 6 CD in-dash HU!

I agree 100% with zzzya. I've purchased the 'Z' Touring model, but then I was sufficiently disappointed with the BOSE audio system. (*old news*)

While I absolutely enjoyed the functionality of the BOSE HU - the rest of the system was obviously in desperate need of an upgrade. I purchased the AudioLink LOC [ www.linkmeup.com ] that specifically addresses this audio needs of the Z Touring models with the BOSE HU. You've got to change ALL those cheap (made in Mexico) speakers. They're a real joke when you get a real close look at them. Upgrade to a decent 4 channel power amp - and then add a good sub woofer. I installed the Infinity BassLink X behind the driver's seat. You'll be glad that you decuded to upgrade your stereo. It will then become the type of sound system that should have been there from day one.

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket HU with BOSE speakers?-basslink.jpg  

Last edited by frankmusic; 02-06-2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:42 PM
zzzya

Since the Clarion HU has decent power output you will probably be better off just running the speakers off the HU for now. The only question is powering the sub. You would be better off using an aftermarket amp for the sub and could get by with something reasonable. One question, how much do you want to spend and what are your long term goals and plans for the system? That Head Unit looks like you are going to do some serious upgrading to the rest of the system. You can obviously get by with the stock speakers but I wouldn't expect drastic improvements in the sound after installing the new HU. On converters, I have seen converters to go from Bose HU to aftermarket amp and speakers but I have not seen the other way around as you are looking for. My guess is that you will have to replace the Bose amp at this point, only a guess though.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:01 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Not much more

Originally posted by zzzya
One question, how much do you want to spend and what are your long term goals and plans for the system? That Head Unit looks like you are going to do some serious upgrading to the rest of the system. You can obviously get by with the stock speakers but I wouldn't expect drastic improvements in the sound after installing the new HU. On converters, I have seen converters to go from Bose HU to aftermarket amp and speakers but I have not seen the other way around as you are looking for. My guess is that you will have to replace the Bose amp at this point, only a guess though.
Well, personally I am satisfied with the sound of the current BOSE system (other than the whole fluctuation in volume from time to time) and to answer your question... I am looking to spend no more than another $100.00 MAX! I already dropped $1500 on the HU!!
For a converter I am thinking about going with the P.I.E. HRC-NISS95 Nissan Headunit Replacement Converter because it pretty much sounds like my situation and it's only $49.00!

Here's what it says:

"The HRC-NISS plugs directly into the factory harness and has separate 4-channel gain controls. Makes replacing the Nissan-Nissan/Bose OEM headunit with an after-market headunit simple and fast. For all 1995 - 2000 Nissan model vehicles."

It does only mention vehicles from 95-2000, but I doubt that the 350Z is any different the the other BOSE crap in the older models.

-Chrismcagle
Old 01-08-2004, 12:00 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Is Soundgate's response correct??

I have been trying to find the exact Line Output Converter that I need to hook up my new HU to the BOSE speakers and amp and Soundgate was one of the companies that was mentioned. Here is their response to my question of which of their products I would need to buy to complete my install. Is he right????

-Chrismcagle
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 10:52:28 -0800 (PST)
To: sgsales@soundgate.com
Subject: Radio replacement interface
Resent-From: sgsales@soundgate.com
Resent-To: sgsales@wavecom.net
Resent-Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 11:52:30 -0700

Hello,

I have a 2003 Nissan 350Z with the "Premium" BOSE sound system in it. I am planning to replace only the head unit this weekend and keep the existing amp and speakers and I was told that I would need to buy a "Line Output Converter" to do this. Please let me know which of your products that I need to buy to complete my sound system install. Thanks!

-Chris
chrismcagle@yahoo.com

SG Sales <sgsales@soundgate.com> wrote:

You don't need any interfaces to wire in the new radio. If you simply feed signal from your head unit into the factory wires that are right behind the radio then the system will still work and the sub will still operate as well. All you will need to do is install the radio, no re-wiring required.

Thanks CHET.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:25 PM
bixby

Default Re: Not much more

It does only mention vehicles from 95-2000, but I doubt that the 350Z is any different the the other BOSE crap in the older models.
I'd confirm that with the vendor if I were you. My 91 has the factory Bose and it IS quite a bit different. I'd hate to see you buy the part & it not work.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:52 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Soundgate's new unit

Well aparently Soundgate has discontinued the OEM4 units and replaced them with the new Soundgate XR4. However based on my above e-mail conversation with "Chet" at Soundgate, he claims that the 350Z does not require any interface to connect to an aftermarket head unit. While I am pleased that he didn't try to sell me something, I am not sure that his information is accurate since everyone else (that I have read a post from) says that they have needed some type of interface unit. I suppose that I could just connect the Clarion to the factory wiring harness and see what happens, but I don't want to screw anything up by doing that. I'd rather be safe than sorry. ;-)

-Chrismcagle

Last edited by ChrisMCagle; 01-08-2004 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:17 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Another option?

Here is yet another interface that might possibly work
The Peripheral NISAH4N.

Now I REALLY don't know what to do!

-Chrismcagle
Old 01-09-2004, 08:21 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default More from Soundgate

Well, here is the latest e-mail response from Chet at Soundgate. According to him, the 350Z does not require any form of interface to connect a new HU to the existing BOSE speakers and amp...

---------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 12:56:33 -0800 (PST)
To: SG Sales <sgsales@soundgate.com>
Subject: Re: Radio replacement interface
Resent-From: sgsales@soundgate.com
Resent-To: sgsales@wavecom.net
Resent-Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:56:34 -0700

Chet,

Once again, thank you for the information. The only problem is that I have been told that there is a difference in the signal or power output from the BOSE HU and aftermarket HU's which required a special converter. I definitely like the idea that all I have to do it connect the new HU to the wires that are there... but I sure don't want to mess anything up, especially after spending the amount of money I did for the new HU.

What are the OEM4A and OEM2 units that you sell for??

-Chris

Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 09:47:08 -0700
Subject: Re: Radio replacement interface
From: "SG Sales" <sgsales@soundgate.com> Add to Address Book
To: "Chris Cagle" <chrismcagle@yahoo.com>

In some Bose systems that is correct, there is a change in output, however the Nissan uses a speaker level input for the Bose level amp. You should not need any adapters for this, at least no one else has needed one. Thanks CHET.

------------------------------------------------------

He sounds like he knows... at least he has not changed his mind at all. ;-)

-Chrismcagle
Old 01-09-2004, 09:51 AM
frankmusic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Don't forget to snap some pics!

Chris,

Whatever path you decide to take when you're ready for the much anticipated audio adventure......please capture the event by taking a few good photos. I'm sure that we'd all like to see how you made out with your task.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HU with BOSE speakers?