Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Static in speakers after installing aftermarket deck

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Azzerare

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Static in speakers after installing aftermarket deck

Hey everybody- I kind of already posted this question but it was pretty "thread-jack-ish" of me :sorry: so i'm making a new thread for my question.

I have a 2004 Touring Z (w/ Bose w/o Nav) and I just bought and installed a Kenwood KDC BT-952HD head unit.
I used a Scosche NN03B wiring harness (
link link
). Also, I soldered and insulated my connections between harnesses.

Everything seems to be working perfectly, including the factory woofer, but there is a hiss-like static coming from all speakers (all audio sources) unless the unit is in standby mode.
The static doesn't correlate to engine speed in any sense (pitch, volume, etc).
While music is playing, the static is quiet enough that its completely unnoticeable; however, in between songs or during a quiet section of a song, its pretty annoying. Also if I select, for example, the bluetooth audio source with no audio playing and turn the volume up, the static increases in volume.

I am running all audio through the factory amp so that I don't lose the factory sub despite reading that many feel that the factory amp is worthless.

The head unit ground is connected to the factory stereo ground line and the factory amp ground is grounded under a chassis bolt so I don't feel like it could be a ground issue; although, that's exactly what it sounds like.

The only thing I can think of is that the quality of the wiring harness I used may be to blame.

Has anyone encountered this issue before or possibly know what may be going on here?

Any advice/suggestions would be well appreciated.

I can answer any questions you guys may have about my setup if I didn't provide enough information.

Thank you so much in advance for your time!
-Adam

(Pics to Follow)
Old 09-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Azzerare

So the pics I took are really not helpful but here they are anyway >_<

Name:  P1070307_zps7ae83ce7.jpg
Views: 1784
Size:  135.9 KB

Name:  P1070311_zpsee46bb34.jpg
Views: 1770
Size:  120.5 KB
Old 09-19-2012, 05:45 PM
zeroaccessinc

I think you got the wrong adapter As I got the same adapter from Geek Squad, but I ended up getting this one:

Amazon Amazon

Get this too:
Amazon Amazon
depending on the preamp...

it works great..

Last edited by zeroaccessinc; 09-19-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:47 PM
DeanFX

I took my amp ground, HU ground and harness ground all to one bolt on the rack that holds the HU. I didn't hook the HU ground and harness ground together. I read somewhere on here to do that.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Azzerare

Smile

Originally Posted by zeroaccessinc
I think you got the wrong adapter As I got the same adapter from Geek Squad, but I ended up getting this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-Amplifie...ords=350z+bose

Get this too: http://www.amazon.com/ROEMNIS2-Inter...=PAC+ROEM-NIS2 depending on the preamp...
Do I need both of these?
In the picture of the Metra harness, it shows RCAs. I assume that one end goes to the preamp outs on the kenwood and logic leads me in the direction of assuming they then plug into the factory amp... is this correct?
I haven't run anything directly to the amp with my setup so far, only to the wiring harness.
Also, I don't quite understand what the PAC ROEMNIS2 does.
Thanks for your help!

Originally Posted by DeanFX
I took my amp ground, HU ground and harness ground all to one bolt on the rack that holds the HU.
That sounds like a good idea too, I'm gonna do this in the mean time to see if it helps with the static. Thanks!

EDIT: I should add that I did speak with a crutchfield call center rep before i bought everything (didn't buy from crutchfield or it would've come with the correct adapters... maybe I should have) and he mentioned that to fully utilize the factory amp and sub I would need a HU with at least two preamp outs (the KRC BT-952HD has three). The thought crossed my mind during the install but I figured he was either mistaken or that it didn't really matter... shame on me.

Last edited by Azzerare; 09-19-2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: added a detail
Old 09-20-2012, 11:31 PM
bender

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're retaining the stock Bose amp, it's recommended you use the PAC ROEM-NIS2 module in between your new headunit and the existing harness. Your symptoms are similar to those who went the same route as yourself (eg. noise at low volumes)

The PAC ROEM-NIS2 has one harness on one end that will be direct plug in play with your factory harness. The other end comes another harness with precut wires ready to be wired to your aftermarket deck.

Last edited by bender; 09-20-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Azzerare

Originally Posted by DeanFX
I took my amp ground, HU ground and harness ground all to one bolt on the rack that holds the HU. I didn't hook the HU ground and harness ground together. I read somewhere on here to do that.
This actually helped somewhat. It dramatically reduced the amount of noise I'm hearing and now I really only notice it when the car is not running and the HU is between songs (Which is not often at all)
Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by bender
If you're retaining the stock Bose amp, it's recommended you use the PAC ROEM-NIS2 module in between your new headunit and the existing harness. Your symptoms are similar to those who went the same route as yourself (eg. noise at low volumes)

The PAC ROEM-NIS2 has one harness on one end that will be direct plug in play with your factory harness. The other end comes another harness with precut wires ready to be wired to your aftermarket deck.
Thanks for the info. As stated, I'm relatively satisfied for now with the amount of static I'm hearing as it is practically inaudible with the motor running BUT for sake of getting it done right, I will take the advice given and order one of those PAC ROEM-NIS2 modules within the next couple weeks.

I am still curious, however, about the RCA cables included with Metra harness kit posted by zeroaccessinc. Do I need/should I get that kit in addition to the PAC module if I already have a Scoshe harness installed that is (for the most part) working?

Would the PAC unit replace the Scosche harness that I have installed already?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to avoid spending too much unnecessary money/time behind that nightmare of a dash.

On a side note, Do you guys feel that it is normal for the center console finisher to not completely seat against the rest of the dash after removal?
I'm going to go grab a pic of the gap I'm referring to so that I can attach it to this post.
Maybe I'm just being OCD about it, but I swear it was better seated before I removed it...
Name:  2012-09-21_18-33-22_633_zps00e388cd.jpg
Views: 1738
Size:  99.9 KB
Name:  2012-09-21_18-32-54_845_zpsb91772b6.jpg
Views: 1764
Size:  67.5 KB

Last edited by Azzerare; 09-21-2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: linked wrong picture
Old 09-21-2012, 04:24 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

you only need ONE harness to interface between your headunit harness and the existing stock harness. The PAC ROEM-NIS2 is the only one you need. Discard all others. Read this
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-video...y-monitor.html

Last edited by beezee; 09-21-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:38 AM
bender

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beezee
you only need ONE harness to interface between your headunit harness and the existing stock harness. The PAC ROEM-NIS2 is the only one you need. Discard all others. Read this
This poster is correct. No need for anything else.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Azzerare

Originally Posted by beezee
Thank you for clearing that up for me. That's what I suspected, but I wanted to be sure.
I will read that link as soon as I submit this post, Thanks!