Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

JBL MS-62C components rock!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:05 PM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default JBL MS-62C components rock!!!

Wanted to share this as an option for those looking for a reasonably priced stealth install, found these while searching reviews for various 6.5/6.75 components that would fit in our cars.

Last edited by NismoDude; 08-18-2016 at 10:03 PM. Reason: sp?
Old 02-03-2013, 07:09 PM
NismoDude

A few photos:

Last edited by NismoDude; 08-18-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:13 AM
poorkidz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! Plan to replace my frontz soon!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:35 AM
NismoDude

Originally Posted by poorkidz
Thanks! Plan to replace my frontz soon!
Check into these

Last edited by NismoDude; 08-18-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 AM
07maximan

Hows the overall sound now? Why I'm asking is that Ive heard the doors on the 350 are very restrictive. I have some Focals I want to install but have been waiting to do door pods. To be honest I really don't want to spend the money on that if I don't have to,but I also need for it to sound good. I have too much invested in my system to have it sound like crap...
Old 02-21-2013, 12:03 PM
NismoDude

I'm really pleased with the sound.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:47 PM
07maximan

Yes thats what I was referring to. I read some where that the grills in the door panels dont allow for the sound to travel very well. However, this is good to hear. I dont really want to spend 350.00 on door pods. Let me know what you think after you hook up your amp.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:58 PM
NismoDude

Hooked up

Old 02-24-2013, 08:33 PM
Scrildo

Originally Posted by NismoDude
Wanted to share this as an option for those looking for a reasonably priced stealth install, found these while searching reviews for various 6.5/6.75 components that would fit in our cars.

Best review is here:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ll-out-me.html

I can only say these are the best sounding set of components I have personally heard installed in a car. Surprisingly deep bass, and the tweeters provide excellent fine detail, blend well with the mids without ever sounding harsh. Completely blow away past components I have had from Pioneer and Infinity.

Picked up a set on Sonicelectronics for $179 shipped - a steal for this level of equipment!

Woofers are just under 2.5 deep and mounted perfectly with a set of Zenclosures 1" MDF spacers.
What head unit are you running?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:45 PM
NismoDude

Pioneer AVH-X3500BHX. no longer using it to drive my speakers though.

Amp is Pioneer GM-D8604. 4-ch amp. 100w continuous x4. rear 2 channels bridged to my polk sub. Nice class-D amp. $159 at SonicElectronics.

Not running my rear speakers.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:27 PM
JRSport018

What mounting hole diameter did you go with from ZEnclosures? I think I may give this setup a go. Thanks for the great review!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:28 PM
NismoDude

Originally Posted by JRSport018
What mounting hole diameter did you go with from ZEnclosures? I think I may give this setup a go. Thanks for the great review!
I think it was the largest cutout size they offer. Go to both crutchfield and sonicelectronics websites, and look up the specs on the components, it will have the measurement there. As you can see in the photos on the link reviewing these JBL's, they have pretty massive baskets!

You won't be disappointed, I read through the entire 20 plus page thread on the link I provided, and the overwhelming consensus is that these speakers are pretty much unrivaled in terms of "bang for the buck", and are also considered very forgiving in terms of installation (meaning some speakers only sound really good if installed following very strict parameters).

Are you planning on driving them with your headunit? or gonna amp them? running a sub?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 AM
DrinkUrJuice

OP,

First of all nice thread and information. Made me register for a new forum. My question is; did you run new speaker wires to your components before you installed the 4 channel amp (running 14W RMS from the HU)? Or did you use the existing speaker wires from the original system? I just bought a set of components to replace my stock ones and am going to use the HU to drive them and see how they sound.

Cheers,
Juice
Old 03-05-2013, 10:16 AM
DrinkUrJuice

Now I am seriously considering finding a set of these JBL's. I caught a good deal on Crutchfield for a set of Rockford Fosgates, but I want the same sound you are getting. I am installing a Pioneer AppRadio2 to mirror my mobile phone through MHL/HDMI and replacing the compnents and running a single 10" Polk sub through a mono Alpine amp. Any wiring tips you can give me for the components would be helpful. I am not knowledgeable in that area.

I am looking for a deal on these JBL's now
Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 PM
NismoDude

Originally Posted by DrinkUrJuice
OP,

First of all nice thread and information. Made me register for a new forum. My question is; did you run new speaker wires to your components before you installed the 4 channel amp (running 14W RMS from the HU)? Or did you use the existing speaker wires from the original system? I just bought a set of components to replace my stock ones and am going to use the HU to drive them and see how they sound.

Cheers,
Juice

Used the stock wires. Cut them where they went into the factory paper cone speakers, and ran them into the component crossover. Then ran wires from the crossover to my woofers and tweeters.

When I added my amp a few weeks later, considered running speaker wire directly from amp to crossover in doors, but after lots of research on a couple of audio forums, the consensus seemed to be for a "non-competition" type setup, running under 100w RMS, that the stock wire would be fine. It also looked like a major headache to run wire through the molex plug in the door (lots of threads on that here), and I didn't want to drill a hole in the door, although that would have been pretty easy. So I ran my speaker wire from my amp to the factory wiring behind the head unit. My amp is rated 100W channel RMS, but I only have the gain turned up to the halfway point, and it provides clear, distortion and hiss free sound, with AMPLE loudness! I typically play my music with the headunit volume at about 20, and that is pretty loud! (I think the max setting is 50, but I'm not sure never turned it up that high, lol!)

especially if you are not running an amp, the factory wire is more than adequate (although I highly recommend an amp, it really opened up the sound in my car)

BTW what model Fosgate components did you buy?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:24 PM
NismoDude

Originally Posted by DrinkUrJuice
Now I am seriously considering finding a set of these JBL's. I caught a good deal on Crutchfield for a set of Rockford Fosgates, but I want the same sound you are getting. I am installing a Pioneer AppRadio2 to mirror my mobile phone through MHL/HDMI and replacing the compnents and running a single 10" Polk sub through a mono Alpine amp. Any wiring tips you can give me for the components would be helpful. I am not knowledgeable in that area.

I am looking for a deal on these JBL's now
Which

Last edited by NismoDude; 08-18-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:29 PM
NismoDude

here's a few

Last edited by NismoDude; 08-18-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:06 PM
DrinkUrJuice

It's good to hear that the factory wiring works well enough. I was reading through a DIY on how to run new speaker wire and starting dreading that option. A bit more involved than I have the patience for. The Rockfords I bought are:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R165...ssi=0&tp=13593

I feel like I went cheap, but it seems the HU amp will power them fine. Crutchfield wants $299 for the set of JBL's you have!!! The Polk amp is:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DXI1...04.html?tp=111

Which I got on a ridiculous buy one get one free deal that I believe is still going on. Pushing it with a 300W mono Alpine amp. Man, I dig how you fit that Polk 8" into the factory sub space. Well done. I am going to see what I can do to fit my sub in there but Pold recommends .66 ft^3 of box. I am making a custom box but there may not be enough room.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:11 PM
DrinkUrJuice

Oh, I forgot that the crossovers are built into the tweeters...I'm just not sure about these speaks
Old 03-06-2013, 02:22 PM
NismoDude

Thanks for the kudos,

Last edited by NismoDude; 08-18-2016 at 10:06 PM.

Quick Reply: JBL MS-62C components rock!!!