Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

"Best" Aftermarket speakers to complement my 2x JL SUBS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 12:48 AM
waiseelay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Best" Aftermarket speakers to complement my 2x JL SUBS?

I have 2 JL Subs. The rear speakers have been disabled (was like that upon purchasing this car), which leaves the stock side door speakers + tweeters.

The sound quality of the stock speakers and tweeters are barely tolerable and really isn't complementing my subs.

With that being said, which aftermarket speakers & tweeters would you recommend?

My car? 2003 Enthusiast.
My budget? $100-$300.

Keep in mind that I plan to run the speakers off my headunit, which is a
Pioneer DEH-X5500HD
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...rs/DEH-X5500HD
As there is no room in my car for me to put an additional amp, and I don't think
I would be able to connect it to my current amp as my JL Subs are already using it.

At this point, if I am not able to hook the aftermarket speakers to an external amp,
Should I just not bother at all and keep it stock? Will aftermarket speakers hooked to
my headunit and NOT an external amp sound exactly the same?

I'm just looking for speakers with great crisp vibrant sound, I don't need them to have bass, as that is what my subs are for.

I plan to replace the side door speakers & tweeters if need be.
(After doing research I've found that replacing the rear speakers is too much of a hassle and some aftermarket side door speakers should do more than enough than what stock does for you)
If replacing the tweeters are not necessary that's fine, but if you think the overall music will sound better with good tweeters over the stock ones then by all means please include it in your recommendation.

Thank you all for your help in advance, it is highly appreciated.

-Wes

Last edited by waiseelay; 04-05-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:12 AM
BipJip

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wes, JL makes a great "cs" speaker mid budget. i have BA PRO60SE they are at the high end of your budget. Morel is one of the best speaker MFG along with Focal. i also replaced my rear speakers they seem to help the over powering sub pound and give a nice ballanced sound in the car. I have a ZR and a JL 10w3 in the stock location being ran by a PPI PC2300 and the sounds ran by a PPI PC4100. i recomend that you try to match the RMS of your head unit with the RMS of the speakers you want to purchase to get the best sound with out distortion and underpowering the speaker. so if you have a 55W RMS you should look for speakers with a 40W-80W RMS speaker.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

If you are not using an external amplifier, you need a speaker that sounds well with less power. One example to consider is the Infinity Reference X REF-6502ix. This is a two way speaker with an integral tweeter. You can connect an external amplifier (if you decide to add this), but the speaker is sensitive enough to match up with your aftermarket H/U. It’s also economical at around $100, but it delivers quality sound.

--Spike
Old 05-08-2013, 02:47 PM
waiseelay

If anyone knows, your help would be much appreciated.

So I ended up buying the ones that were suggested to me.

Amazon.com: Infinity REF-6502IX 6.5-Inch Speaker Pair: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Infinity REF-6502IX 6.5-Inch Speaker Pair: Car Electronics

^^^ Those are the ones I bought.
However, I am now being told that I am also going to need to buy some speaker harnesses?
If that is the case, which are compatible with the speakers I bought as well as being compatible with the fitment of my 2003 350z?

A link would be very helpful (to the product I need to buy).
Thanks in advance for the help guys.

***for example***
I found 3x different ones when I typed in speaker harness on amazon.

Amazon.com: Metra 72-7800 Honda and Acura Speaker Adapter Harness Connector - Pair: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Metra 72-7800 Honda and Acura Speaker Adapter Harness Connector - Pair: Car Electronics

Amazon.com: Metra 72-6514 Speaker Harness for Select Chrysler/Dodge Vehicles: Electronics Amazon.com: Metra 72-6514 Speaker Harness for Select Chrysler/Dodge Vehicles: Electronics

Amazon.com: Metra 72-4568 Speaker Harness for Select GM Vehicles: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Metra 72-4568 Speaker Harness for Select GM Vehicles: Car Electronics

are these compatible? or even what i'm supposed to be looking at for the speakers I just bought? thanks guys.

One more update... Spike, the speakers just arrived in the mail. But I just checked crutchfield and it says they wont fit in my car

I'm hoping that crutchfield is wrong? And you knew that I was obvs gonna be installing these in a 350z? :<

Last edited by waiseelay; 05-08-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Collin Lacy

I mean, you can buy a harness, but its easier to just cut the old one off the stock speakers, crimp some female connectors to it, and stick them onto your new speakers.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Crutchfield’s fitment sheets seem to exclude every front speaker with the 350Z. Ignore Crutchfield’s advice here; the speakers will fit. You may need to add spacers.

You don’t need a harness for these speakers. I would solder some male/female blades and companion inserts to the car’s wires and the wires on your speakers.

--Spike