Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Wireless phone charging?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013 | 03:43 PM
mcubed45

Default Wireless phone charging?

Has anyone added wireless charging to their Z? I'm looking at replacing the factory stereo and will probably go with a single din unit. Since the mounting kit includes a pocket to go under the stereo, I was thinking about attaching a wireless charging pad underneath. That way you just rest your phone in the pocket and it starts charging immediately. I suppose I could add an NFC tag too to turn BT on so the phone can auto connect to the stereo as well.

Anyone done something similar? I can't think of anywhere else that'd be good to place a wireless charger.

*UPDATE*

Works great. The hardest part was getting the placement of the charger right. I wanted to make it simple so all I had to do was make my phone flush with the rear and left side to activate the charger.

I was originally gonna remove the components from the charger housing completely but the main coil and ferrite back plate are attached with a very strong adhesive foam. The plate started to crack when I tried to remove it so I opted to just keep the components sealed to the back half of the housing. I had to cut up the housing to get the coil right where I wanted it.

To keep things simple, I'm just using the USB out on the back of the HU for now. I'll have to monitor to see what kind've charging currents I actually get since my HU only has 1amp output to the USB ports (ideally the charger wants 2A but it'll run off of less).

Last edited by mcubed45; 02-09-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-19-2013 | 12:08 AM
DarkCreep

LMFAO wow..... really? Is it that hard to connect a cable?
Old 11-19-2013 | 04:54 AM
mcubed45

Originally Posted by DarkCreep
LMFAO wow..... really? Is it that hard to connect a cable?
lol that's usually what people that don't have wireless capable phones say (especially iSheep).

wireless is way more convenient and doesn't wear your usb port (which is a typical point of failure for most smartphones). it's pretty much the wave of the future (everything from smartphone to EV's). don't worry, apple will catch up eventually though.

about a decade ago you probably would've said:
"LMFAO WIFI? WOW... REALLY? IS IT THAT HARD TO CONNECT AN ETHERNET CABLE?"

kinda seems silly now, huh?

Last edited by mcubed45; 11-19-2013 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-19-2013 | 07:37 AM
dcains

The problem with wireless charging is the piece you need to add on to the phone. Who wants to make their phone heavier/bulkier? If/when this becomes built-in, that's great, but I'l never be interested in an add-on.
Old 11-19-2013 | 01:34 PM
mcubed45

Originally Posted by dcains
The problem with wireless charging is the piece you need to add on to the phone. Who wants to make their phone heavier/bulkier? If/when this becomes built-in, that's great, but I'l never be interested in an add-on.
It's already built in on a lot of newer phones. The add on for the s3 or s4 is paper thin and fits under the stock back plate.

Not sure where you're getting your info from... Unless you have an iPhone. Lol in that case the wireless addons are pretty terrible. But that's apples fault. Theyre running out of features to add so they're rationing them out yearly. The iPhone will probably get wireless charging in a year or two (android has had it for the past couple years). Apple will probably ignore the Qi standard also and force you to buy a $100 charging pad instead of a 3rd party one for $15.

Last edited by mcubed45; 11-19-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-19-2013 | 01:37 PM
dcains

Really don't have the time or desire to be such a phone geek, but whatever works for you. Must you really be such a douchebag to everyone not so well-informed, or who perhaps makes other choices?
Old 11-19-2013 | 01:51 PM
mcubed45

Really don't have the time or desire to be such a phone geek, but whatever works for you. Must you really be such a douchebag to everyone not so well-informed, or who perhaps makes other choices?
Umm you two douchebags are the uninformed idiots that posted in my thread. I asked a simple question:

Has anyone added wireless charging to their z?

Your replies were "zomg wireless charging is dumb!"

You chose to bring your ignorance into the thread. Why would you post in a topic on which you're so obviously ill-informed.
Old 11-19-2013 | 04:01 PM
Spike100

Can you provide any example of wireless phone charging in any car?

When we have that info, we can proceed to a solution....

--Spike

Originally Posted by mcubed45
Umm you two douchebags are the uninformed idiots that posted in my thread. I asked a simple question:

Has anyone added wireless charging to their z?

Your replies were "zomg wireless charging is dumb!"

You chose to bring your ignorance into the thread. Why would you post in a topic on which you're so obviously ill-informed.
Old 11-19-2013 | 04:09 PM
hndumafia

i'm one of the isheep, but think setting up wireless charging and nfc to turn on bt are both awesome idea. dooo ittttt. i'm surprised other people find these ideas to be useless.
Old 11-19-2013 | 04:50 PM
Spike100

So I'll ask a gain...Can you provide any example of wireless phone charging in any car?

When we have that info, we can proceed to a solution...

BTW: I don't consider the solutions as useless... I just don't see an existing solution. Can you help me here?

--Spike

Originally Posted by hndumafia
i'm one of the isheep, but think setting up wireless charging and nfc to turn on bt are both awesome idea. dooo ittttt. i'm surprised other people find these ideas to be useless.
Old 11-19-2013 | 07:46 PM
mcubed45

Originally Posted by Spike100
Can you provide any example of wireless phone charging in any car?

When we have that info, we can proceed to a solution....

--Spike
sorry let me clarify

You can add wireless charging to your car or pretty much any piece of furniture at home by attaching a wireless charging pad. The pads have a range of a centimeter or two so people do stealth installations where the pad is on the underside of a desk or night stand. You simply plop your phone on top and it starts charging immediately.

Here's the chargers I use at home:

Amazon.com: Lerway Wireless Qi Power Charger Pad for Lumia920 HTC 8X S4 S3 Note II (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Lerway Wireless Qi Power Charger Pad for Lumia920 HTC 8X S4 S3 Note II (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

My plan is basically to attach one to the underside of the stereo pocket. This would be completely concealed once the dash is reassembled. The pocket would look like any other but when you stick your phone inside it starts charging.

Amazon.com: Metra '06 - up Nissan 350Z Radio Install Kit: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Metra '06 - up Nissan 350Z Radio Install Kit: Car Electronics

Here's an example of a stealth nightstand install:

http://lifehacker.com/integrate-a-wi...tand-478949465

Last edited by mcubed45; 11-20-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-19-2013 | 09:39 PM
dcains

Wonder if the charger's magnetic field would have any effect on the white HVAC/Gauge control box in the waterfall, as the charging pad would be sitting directly on top of it? The box has a plastic case, so there isn't any shielding.
Old 11-20-2013 | 12:31 PM
Spike100

Thanks for the reply. I would think your project would easily be accomplished.

The example you posted appears to power from a USB connection. That would be simple to do in your Z. You only need a H/U with a USB port.

There are H/U’s that have a USB dongle coming of the rear of the unit. Actually this is a good idea since it prevents stress and breaking a direct USB connection. This would work well with your idea since the connection could be inside the lower shelf and completely out of the way. It would also be a good connection point for other USB devices.

Thanks for presenting a good idea!

--Spike

sorry let me clarify

You can add wireless charging to your car or pretty much any piece of furniture at home by attaching a wireless charging pad. The pads have a range of a centimeter or two so people do stealth installations where the pad is on the underside of a desk or night stand. You simply plop your phone on top and it starts charging immediately.

Here's the chargers I use at home:

Amazon.com: Lerway Wireless Qi Power Charger Pad for Lumia920 HTC 8X S4 S3 Note II (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

My plan is basically to attach one to the underside of the stereo pocket. This would be completely concealed once the dash is reassembled. The pocket would look like any other but when you stick your phone inside it starts charging.

Amazon.com: Metra '06 - up Nissan 350Z Radio Install Kit: Car Electronics

Here's an example of a stealth nightstand install:

http://lifehacker.com/integrate-a-wi...tand-478949465
Old 11-20-2013 | 12:40 PM
Spike100

The setup mcubed45 presents won’t cause any interference. He suggests a 5v solution powered by a USB connector.

I like mcubed45’s idea. I always store my phone on the lower shelf of my car’s single din installation (see the pic above). I might as well be also charging the phone.

--Spike

Wonder if the charger's magnetic field would have any effect on the white HVAC/Gauge control box in the waterfall, as the charging pad would be sitting directly on top of it? The box has a plastic case, so there isn't any shielding.
Old 11-21-2013 | 10:15 AM
Syner

The setup mcubed45 presents won’t cause any interference. He suggests a 5v solution powered by a USB connector.

I like mcubed45’s idea. I always store my phone on the lower shelf of my car’s single din installation (see the pic above). I might as well be also charging the phone.

--Spike
Where did it say 5V w/ USB connector would work? Doesn't that seem too low?
Old 11-21-2013 | 11:47 AM
mcubed45

Originally Posted by Syner
Where did it say 5V w/ USB connector would work? Doesn't that seem too low?
5v is the standard charging voltage for all usb devices. The usb adapter you stick in the outlet at home converts the 120v AC to 5v dc. The adapter you stick in your car's cigarette lighter converts the car's 12v DC to 5v DC.

Wireless charging pads typically have a micro usb input. Therefore they run off the same voltage (5v). Some wireless chargers come with different power adapters or special connections but this only makes things more complicated.
Old 11-21-2013 | 11:54 AM
Syner

5v is the standard charging voltage for all usb devices. The usb adapter you stick in the outlet at home converts the 120v AC to 5v dc. The adapter you stick in your car's cigarette lighter converts the car's 12v DC to 5v DC.

Wireless charging pads typically have a micro usb input. Therefore they run off the same voltage (5v). Some wireless chargers come with different power adapters or special connections but this only makes things more complicated.
My bad, I thought the pads required 120V I didn't realize they only used microUSB.
Old 11-21-2013 | 11:55 AM
mcubed45

Thanks for the reply. I would think your project would easily be accomplished.

The example you posted appears to power from a USB connection. That would be simple to do in your Z. You only need a H/U with a USB port.

There are H/U’s that have a USB dongle coming of the rear of the unit. Actually this is a good idea since it prevents stress and breaking a direct USB connection. This would work well with your idea since the connection could be inside the lower shelf and completely out of the way. It would also be a good connection point for other USB devices.

Thanks for presenting a good idea!

--Spike
Thanks!

I was thinking a HU w/ usb output would be the simplest solution. Most've the units I've been looking at already come with this feature (in addition to BT phone/audio streaming). I'd have to check what kind've output the HU's put through their usb outs though, since I think they're usually more intended for data transfer rather than power.

I was also considering just taking apart a cigarette 12v usb adapter and hardwiring directly to the car. This would allow charging even when the car's off. The wireless charging pads only activate when they sense a receiving coil in close proximity so the parasitic drain on the battery should be pretty minimal.
Old 11-21-2013 | 12:06 PM
Syner

Thanks!

I was thinking a HU w/ usb output would be the simplest solution. Most've the units I've been looking at already come with this feature (in addition to BT phone/audio streaming). I'd have to check what kind've output the HU's put through their usb outs though, since I think they're usually more intended for data transfer rather than power.

I was also considering just taking apart a cigarette 12v usb adapter and hardwiring directly to the car. This would allow charging even when the car's off. The wireless charging pads only activate when they sense a receiving coil in close proximity so the parasitic drain on the battery should be pretty minimal.
5V is next to nil, it should charge regardless. Are you talking about splicing off the under-dash plug, or actual hardwiring?
Old 11-21-2013 | 03:18 PM
Spike100

I believe that 5 volts is the standard output for a USB port. The USB port’s function is data transfer, but it also provides the small level of voltage (5v) so that it power attached devices such as a compact backup drive.

Many electronic devices are designed to plug into a USB port for charging. My Garmin GPS watch is an example.

--Spike

Quick Reply: Wireless phone charging?