Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Radar Checkup....

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 05:32 PM
alpine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Radar Checkup....

Who's using what Radar Detectors and how's it going?

I've been debating whether or not it's worth it or not.

The bottom line is if they see you (eyeball) or clock/pace you then the detector isn't going to do jack for ya.

Anyone not getting tickets because they've actually had a dector?

Also what's the input on "metalized" film for Tint jobs, doesn't that reduce/deflect the rear/side?

Lemme know as I'm gearing up towards the valentine, working on some additional stealth install options, saw the one onthe board installed at the rear (nice).

Thanks
Old 10-30-2004, 05:30 AM
alpine

bump
Old 10-30-2004, 06:50 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Re: Radar Checkup....

Originally posted by alpine

The bottom line is if they see you (eyeball) or clock/pace you then the detector isn't going to do jack for ya.

Also what's the input on "metalized" film for Tint jobs, doesn't that reduce/deflect the rear/side?

Lemme know as I'm gearing up towards the valentine, working on some additional stealth install options, saw the one onthe board installed at the rear (nice).

Thanks
I have a radar detector and LASER jammer. They work. I have avoided tickets. I did get one ticket from a LASER GUN speed trap. I was going too fast and reacted too slowly. As for eyball/clock/pace.....I think you would need a Klingon cloaking device to avoid that. (don't ask me where to get one!)

I had metalized tint. It looked like ****. I had it re-done in 20% dark.

I do not believe tint affects detection. Radar uses SOUND waves, and LASER depends on adequate light reflection.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:55 AM
alpine

Default Re: Re: Radar Checkup....

Originally posted by jcn30127
I have a radar detector and LASER jammer. They work. I have avoided tickets. I did get one ticket from a LASER GUN speed trap. I was going too fast and reacted too slowly. As for eyball/clock/pace.....I think you would need a Klingon cloaking device to avoid that. (don't ask me where to get one!)

I had metalized tint. It looked like ****. I had it re-done in 20% dark.

I do not believe tint affects detection. Radar uses SOUND waves, and LASER depends on adequate light reflection.
Your tag line includes your plates from Georgia, right?

Here in CA, radar jamming is a serious thing, I don't have the facts in front of me at this time so I won't even attempt to quote it, I just know it's BAD, so jamming is out of the question here.

Your device is both? detect & jam? Which one are you using?

Also, in your tag line you have windows up on key fob, is that the item that was floating around here or is it something else?

Thanks for dropping by, looks like the BUMP actually worked.

I need info on detection as with my APS Kit I'm sure I'll be going faster, more often without necessarily realizing it.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:35 AM
mofoz

laser jammers are legal. radar jammers are not. best combo is a laser shifter/jammer and valentine1 detector, or 8500.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:03 PM
JCat
---------------

Default Re: Re: Re: Radar Checkup....

Your tag line includes your plates from Georgia, right?

Here in CA, radar jamming is a serious thing, I don't have the facts in front of me at this time so I won't even attempt to quote it, I just know it's BAD, so jamming is out of the question here.

Your device is both? detect & jam? Which one are you using?

Also, in your tag line you have windows up on key fob, is that the item that was floating around here or is it something else?

Thanks for dropping by, looks like the BUMP actually worked.

I need info on detection as with my APS Kit I'm sure I'll be going faster, more often without necessarily realizing it.
Jamming LASER is legal everywhere.

It is silly that Nissan gave us WINDOW DOWN (press unlock on your keyfob twice and hold) and not a window up.

It is also silly that Nissan defaults the VDC to always on.

Well, this fella has a solution for you. I highly recommend it.

http://www.350zfrenzy.com/forum/show...ight=window+up
Old 10-31-2004, 08:34 AM
alpine

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Radar Checkup....

Originally posted by jcn30127
Jamming LASER is legal everywhere.

It is silly that Nissan gave us WINDOW DOWN (press unlock on your keyfob twice and hold) and not a window up.

It is also silly that Nissan defaults the VDC to always on.

Well, this fella has a solution for you. I highly recommend it.

http://www.350zfrenzy.com/forum/show...ight=window+up
Yea I'm familiar with the KP tech modules.

It's not silly for VDC to default to ON for "general purposes", unfortunatel more than 50% of the Z drivers, aren't "performance drivers" they just have the car because they can.

I would call myself a performance driver, but I am no expert.

Speaking from experience, the VDC has saved my *** on many occasions when I was NOT performance driving, and some idiot brought his problems into my line of driving and VDC has more than paid for itself in those occasions.

I would rather it annoy me, than not be available when I need it.

The first week I had the car, I was on the 101 South, which eventually runs into the 5 & 60. in the last mile before they merge, the lanes 'jog/sway' just a hair likes esses.

Since most people DON'T know how to drive, many people under or over adjust for this swaying.

I've got my daughter in the car, I'm doing 60 something one of those lovely expeditions comes completely into my lane, without any hint of doing so.

There was heavy traffic, I couldn't see what was going on in front of the truck, I could see the car behind me wasn't particularly doing to well in the attention department, so I wasn't sure they were going to brake as well as I could, and there were cars on my right, so I figured I'll just go left to where the truck came from as it looked clear.

I jam over, slot car style, everything is great....

Then about 50' up, there is a car dead stopped in the fast lane.

So sure, i'll just go back to where I was, right?

wrong.

It'd be a while since I'd driven a short/rear wheel drive car/stick and so in going back, the nose was willing to back, but the rear wasn't....

You hear/feel the brakes, and although I was steering correctly to bring the car under control, as I wasn't prepared at that momemnt for a perofrmance manuever, the VDC brought down throttle, applied breaking correctly to stragihten the car out, and allowed to me to the rest.

If it wasn't for VDC I'm certain I wouldn't have the Z right now, and who knows what would have happened in that particular scenario, and in that location.

I'm sure everyone else is a race car driver, and would have recovered that situation easily, and would have been upset with the VDC & Nissan.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:31 AM
Machupo

Default Re: Radar Checkup....

Thanks

the first thing i bought for my Z when i got back from the sandbox was a Valentine One... it has saved my *** dozens of times... more importantly, it comes with a booklet that explains what different police tactics are and what they will look like on your detector so you know what' s coming up. can't forget the directional arrows, either... been nice to have those.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:35 AM
alpine

Default Re: Re: Radar Checkup....

Originally posted by Machupo
the first thing i bought for my Z when i got back from the sandbox was a Valentine One... it has saved my *** dozens of times... more importantly, it comes with a booklet that explains what different police tactics are and what they will look like on your detector so you know what' s coming up. can't forget the directional arrows, either... been nice to have those.
I have hear more about Valentine One than any other, and have been leaning that way since I've heard about it.

Of course the cost appears somewhat higher on it than the other units, but I have also seen a lot of customer support/service/offerings from their company WAY over other companies so I know there is a reason for the price, plus if it actually works, and you avoid a nasty ticket and the other hassels that come from getting a ticket, then it's clearly worth it.

Thanks for checking in.

Where are you from/what area do you drive around/thru?
Old 10-31-2004, 10:36 AM
alpine

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Radar Checkup....

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jcn30127
[B]Jamming LASER is legal everywhere.

Where do you get your informattion about Jamming being legal?

I'd like to see/know that before I run out and get a jammer.

I found this at speedzones.com, which seems well put-together:

There are no federal laws prohibiting jamming a police laser gun. It is a federal felony punishable by up to one year in jail and a $75,000.00 fine to “jam or attempt to jam” a police radar gun

This is in reference to federal law. I'm sure there are local state/city laws which do prohibt and penalize for jamming anything anyway.

I'll see what else I can dig up.

Last edited by alpine; 10-31-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:54 AM
alpine

Default Interesting Post from ferrariclub.com

I found this @ the ferrariclub, I figured these guys have way more to worry about in regards to attenion/speed.

Most likely they can afford the costs of tickets & insurance, however for obvious reasons they are much more likely to incur either due to the look and availability of speed from their cars and therefore should be a good source/opinion to avoid them.

They seem to be considering the Valentine 1 and K40 brands.

http://www.ferrariclub.com/faq/radar.html

What should I know about radar and laser detectors?

As long as there are speed laws in the world, there will be those who break them. And as long as law enforcement organizations use technology to detect speeders, speeders will use technology to escape detection. A discussion of radar detectors has the potential to become very emotional among Ferrari owners. Multiple brands exist on the market, and each have their fans among Ferrari owners. If you don't happen to agree with the information in this FAQ, then you've probably already made up your mind about radar detection technology and don't need to read this FAQ anyway.

The general (and the term "general" is used very loosely) consensus among Ferrari owners is that radar detectors are a positive thing. Some drivers prefer not to use them, while some drivers insist upon them. If you're among those who want one, then you're probably wondering what most other Ferrari owners use. Based on the feedback on the Ferrari Internet Email List, it seems that most Ferrari owners who use radar detectors employ one of the following brands: Valentine One, or K40. If you're interested in radar jamming technology, please visit the Radar and Laser Jammers FAQ.

Rather than argue the benefits of one detector over the other, this FAQ will present a marketing blurb that comes directly from each detector's manufacturer, along with a link to their Web site:

Valentine One
Web Site: http://www.valentine1.com/

Official Company Blurb: Military strategists agree that successful defense begins with good intelligence about the enemy. Valentine One has a patented warning system relying on both forward- and rearward-facing antennas; it goes beyond Ordinary Detectors by telling you - on every alert - where to look, and how many to look for. Once you have this intelligence report, you can easily decide when to defend, and when you can simply shrug off a non-threatening alarm.

The ONLY Detector with TWO Antennas! Valentine One is the only detector with two antennas -- one front and one rear -- to scan all around your car and precisely locate each radar threat. Ordinary Detectors have a single antenna facing forward: to cover beside and behind your car, they hope radar will take a lucky bounce into the front opening. Valentine One uses front and rear antennas reporting to an onboard computer to analyze and precisely locate every radar threat, either by direct reception from one antenna or triangulation between both antennas.

K40
Web Site: http://www.k40.com/

Official Company Blurb: Total Protection From Radar & Laser! K40 Electronics' incredible custom remote detection systems give you 100% protection from speed traps in front of you and superior coverage from behind. Only K40 systems can give you this protection because we use the largest, most sensitive receiver in the industry, mounted behind the front grill or bumper of your car, where it can capture signals fast and without obstruction. An additional receiver is used with the laser model.

Sonaradar by K40 Electronics is more than just a radar detection system. It's so sensitive it actually becomes a radar locator! Only Sonaradar tells you exactly where to look for police radar. So you'll know whether it's coming from the front, rear or to the side, to help you react accordingly. Sonaradar includes two receivers, one mounted behind the front grill or bumper and one mounted behind or below the rear bumper. An additional receiver is used with the laser model.

Why Ferrari Owners Choose One Over the Other
Rather than entering into a debate over which detector is "better," this FAQ will attempt to explain why certain Ferrari owners choose one brand of the above-mentioned radar detector over the other.

The K40 seems to cost a bit less than the V1, so cost may be an issue in some instances.

This may be because K40 uses a dealer network (and therefore discounts their products for the dealers), while Valentine Research only sells direct.

The K40 is capable of being installed in a way that hides the sensors in license plate frames and incorporates a small remote information display so that it is difficult to impossible for an officer to notice a detector in the car, so Ferrari owners who do not want a visible detector in their car usually choose it over the V1.

The V1 detects radar in front of, to the side, and behind your car, while the K40 only has sensors for the the front and back, so some owners choose the V1 because they want a larger detection area.

The V1 informs you which direction the radar threat is coming from, while the K40 just sounds the alarm.

Some drivers prefer the K40 models that have a built-in CHP radio scanner that beep when they detect the CHP beacon signal that police cars use to communicate with handheld radios.

Both companies argue that they produce fewer false alerts, have superior range, and better overall technology than the other.

Their respective owners usually argue about the same things.

Which Radar Detector One Is Right For You?

You'll need to decide which detector is right for you, or if you want a detector at all! There is one thing for sure, however: as speeders get better at eluding law enforcement with technology, law enforcement will spend the money to increase their detection technology. And the radar detector companies will surely have a new product to sell to you.

Contributions to this FAQ by: Steve Jenkins, Jeff Littrell
Old 10-31-2004, 12:37 PM
xswl0931

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Regarding "Jamming". The FCC controls use of radio waves, thus RADAR jamming is illegal (that is your device sending out unlicensed radio waves). Laser is a different spectrum that isn't under the control of the FCC. Thus Laser Shifters (not really jamming) are legal. Two completely different things.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:58 PM
alpine

Originally posted by xswl0931
Regarding "Jamming". The FCC controls use of radio waves, thus RADAR jamming is illegal (that is your device sending out unlicensed radio waves). Laser is a different spectrum that isn't under the control of the FCC. Thus Laser Shifters (not really jamming) are legal. Two completely different things.
yes thank you. I saw similar information out on the net as well, radar/fcc laser/fda however this doesn't prevent local state/city agencies from prohibiting it, does it?
Old 10-31-2004, 03:09 PM
JCat
---------------

There are different Laser "systems".

I'm not an expert.......some may be different than others.

It is interesting to me that my laser detector goes off at those camera intersections. Evidently they use lasers to detect if someone enters the intersection.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:44 PM
wireben

I have been using BEL (Beltronics) radars for about 10 years now. They have saved me over and over again. I have gotten about 2 tickets due to not paying attention and having the radio up to loud, but the radar was going off when I looked at it. I have owned a Vector 980 (Quit working after 5 years) then purchased a Vector 985. I like the 980 better, so I sent it in to Bel and they rebuilt it to new condition for $50.00, if I remember right. I can not drive without it & trust it 99.5% that it will find the police.

Valentine has always been highly recommended but I am not a fan of the way they look.

Check em out::: http://www.beltronics.com

This also makes for interesting reading on the new radars that are out.

http://www.radartest.com/article.asp?articleid=9090

Get a BEL...
Old 11-01-2004, 09:03 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Escort 8500 X50 (blue ). From my experience (comparing side-by-side with dad's V1) it is just as good as the V1 w/o the arrows.

Victor
Old 11-05-2004, 08:50 AM
mgk65

Originally posted by Mike Wazowski
I have the Escort 8500 X50 (blue ). From my experience (comparing side-by-side with dad's V1) it is just as good as the V1 w/o the arrows.

Victor
Having had a BelTronics before my current V1, I absolutely LOVE the arrows of the V1 and definately think that the difference in price was worth it.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:06 AM
alpine

Originally posted by mgk65
Having had a BelTronics before my current V1, I absolutely LOVE the arrows of the V1 and definately think that the difference in price was worth it.
As I mentioned before, I had be leaning towards the V1, and it appears I need to keep leaning that direction.

The odds are I will end up with a V1 shortly.

BTW, My APS KIT install is complete, I will driving it tommorow AM.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:09 PM
bigpapaluzz

hey I recently got the K40 installed in my Z and its awesome! Its hidden in your dash, only 2 red dots. One for the front and one for the back. It has city and highway modes, plus you can get the added laser diffusers as well. They mount on the front and rear license plates. I havent been pulled over yet and I drive like an animal. It gives you enough time to slow down. I highly recommend it.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:33 AM
alpine

Originally posted by bigpapaluzz
hey I recently got the K40 installed in my Z and its awesome! Its hidden in your dash, only 2 red dots. One for the front and one for the back. It has city and highway modes, plus you can get the added laser diffusers as well. They mount on the front and rear license plates. I havent been pulled over yet and I drive like an animal. It gives you enough time to slow down. I highly recommend it.

thanks for the info, I did see that the K40 offers the diffusers when I was looking into them.

Quick Reply: Radar Checkup....