Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics
View Poll Results: Best front speaker replacement option
Buy brand new component speakers and replacement both tweeter and speaker
100.00%
Replace just the tweeters, remove the fronts, and route sub to rear speakers
0%
Replace just the tweeters, remove the fronts, and do not route sub to rear speakers
0%
Cheapest options. Remove all front speakers and just use the rear speakers
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Front Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 08:17 AM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Front Speaker Replacement

One of my front speakers blew out and I'm looking to you guys for some opinion:

I currently have 4 Alpine Type R 6.5 inch speakers installed for about 10 years now. I liked their sound but they added a lot of weight to my doors. The extra weight caused riders to accidentally slam the door or it shuts on someone's shin due to the extra weight.

My plan is to remove both from speakers and replace only the front Tweeters. This way I will get rid of the weight issue.

To counter the fact that I will be losing a lot of mid and low range sound I'm planning on routing the sub out from my amp to the rear speakers only. Would you guys advise against this? Will I blow out my rear speakers? Or this setup sound remotely okay?
Old 08-18-2015, 08:44 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

is it a dedicated sub out for only low frequencies or can you adjust the cross over? also the weight of the speaker is not that big of an issue, it is known that the Z can be a shin killer,
Old 08-18-2015, 08:48 AM
HOMiEZ

its a dedicated sub out. i'm trying to avoid using a subwoofer and using the 6.5s in the rear. any suggestions of which tweeters would fit the stock location flushed would also be helpful
Old 08-18-2015, 08:52 AM
travlee
Master

if it is a dedicated sub out, you will only get low frequencies out of it
Old 08-18-2015, 09:03 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMiEZ
One of my front speakers blew out and I'm looking to you guys for some opinion:

I currently have 4 Alpine Type R 6.5 inch speakers installed for about 10 years now. I liked their sound but they added a lot of weight to my doors. The extra weight caused riders to accidentally slam the door or it shuts on someone's shin due to the extra weight.

My plan is to remove both from speakers and replace only the front Tweeters. This way I will get rid of the weight issue.

To counter the fact that I will be losing a lot of mid and low range sound I'm planning on routing the sub out from my amp to the rear speakers only. Would you guys advise against this? Will I blow out my rear speakers? Or this setup sound remotely okay?
Weight versus sound quality???

This is about the equivalent of asking "Should I take out my air conditioning to save weight? Why yes, I drive my car on the street, why?"

OP, it isn't the speakers that are causing the door to slam, I assure you. Even with the largest possible magnet on a 6.5, this few lbs isn't going to influence the door shutting enough to make it a problem. The car is just known to be a shin killer as Trav pointed out.

Sub-out to the rear speakers will be nothing but mud with frequencies above the crossover point to just disappear. You want the mud with no musical detail (unless you just listen to talk radio), go for it. Elsewise...

Go get some new 6.5s, install 'em and work on the door keeper-opener thing. Call it done.
The following users liked this post:
jhc (08-20-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 10:36 AM
HOMiEZ

Thanks for the feedback. I'm fine with getting new 6.5s. Any suggestion on what I should get? I'm a DYI guy but I have never mounted tweeters. I just got off chat with Crutchfield and they said that I would have to fabricate a custom enclosure to mount new tweeters in the stock location. I'm hoping to keep the stock look as much as possible. Any suggestions on which component speakers I should get?

I'm between jobs right now so want to keep the budget low, and if its worth the wait to save up for a better setup I will.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:38 AM
travlee
Master

if budget is low, dont mess with it at all man..... keep food on the table and mess with car when things are better
The following users liked this post:
verdict. (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 11:24 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
if budget is low, dont mess with it at all man..... keep food on the table and mess with car when things are better
^^^ Not a religious guy but Amen Brudduh!

On my then-lower-budget, I put in a set of non-component two ways in factory door locations... Rockford Fosgate or Alpine if I recall and they did the job intended - to improve upon and dump the POS factory speakers.

Have since upgraded to a set of Focals (F&R) but still in two-way, non-component config. Works just fine with my amp/sub setup. Admittedly not a high end system and imaging is probably not as good as setting the tweeters in the factory location but sound quality and volume is clean, clear, and loud enough for windows down cruising.

Put this way, if you were originally willing to sacrifice the fronts, a quality non-component setup is going to be more than adequate and better than a blown speaker, yes?

About to re-do the WHOLE system in my Niz cuz P.O.'s setup just isn't cutting it....
Old 08-20-2015, 12:25 PM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Put this way, if you were originally willing to sacrifice the fronts, a quality non-component setup is going to be more than adequate and better than a blown speaker, yes?
For sure... but you can get decent components pretty cheap these days. I run Infinity Reference 6030cs and Amazon sells them $90. The tweeter drops right into the factory location.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:41 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Save up, buy some JLs. Mount in stock location, I see you joined in early. No bs for you. Wire up to original harness, gl.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:25 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I did the no front speakers for a bit when I first trashed my factory stereo. It wasn't horrible but I felt like I was waisting 2 outputs on my head unit. (I currently run 4 speakers off the head unit and then an 8 inch sub off a cheesy crutchfield amp) I ended up buying some cheap rockford 4 inch 2 way speakers and molding them into the factory speaker brackets. I went with such small speakers so I wouldn't need to worry about clearance issues. I also spliced the harness in the rear so I wouldn't need to run new wires for the doors. (I ran new wires for the rear)

I just unplugged the factory tweeter and removed them. I dont notice the difference...

Im obviously no audiophile (actually have pretty terrible hearing) but it sounds good to me and is an improvement over the factory junk.

But cost $40 for the speakers and was a good diy project and it all hides behind the factory grills... Good luck
Old 08-20-2015, 03:44 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

You describe the worst setup-effort I've read here.

Is the sound OK?

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
I did the no front speakers for a bit when I first trashed my factory stereo. It wasn't horrible but I felt like I was waisting 2 outputs on my head unit. (I currently run 4 speakers off the head unit and then an 8 inch sub off a cheesy crutchfield amp) I ended up buying some cheap rockford 4 inch 2 way speakers and molding them into the factory speaker brackets. I went with such small speakers so I wouldn't need to worry about clearance issues. I also spliced the harness in the rear so I wouldn't need to run new wires for the doors. (I ran new wires for the rear)

I just unplugged the factory tweeter and removed them. I dont notice the difference...

Im obviously no audiophile (actually have pretty terrible hearing) but it sounds good to me and is an improvement over the factory junk.

But cost $40 for the speakers and was a good diy project and it all hides behind the factory grills... Good luck
Old 08-20-2015, 04:03 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
You describe the worst setup-effort I've read here.

Is the sound OK?
Works for me and sounds fine. I always have the windows down anyways. Im well aware its not going to win any awards but honestly I wouldn't know the difference between a crap stereo and top of the line equipment.

But if you think that is bad you should see my home entertainment system that little fingers pushed in and disfigured all the speaker cones.