Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

03z: stock radio randomly cuts out and dims, then works again. help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 04:04 PM
ou8thisSN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03z: stock radio randomly cuts out and dims, then works again. help?

Hi, I bought my 2003 Z in 2009 and it came with the Bose system and stock radio head unit. Immediately after I bought the car, i installed a "USA Spec PA11-NIS" so I could get my ipod to work through the car's stereo. It worked fine until around January of 2015. I'm not sure if it's the winter or what, but nothing happens when I push the CD6 button. However, if I plug my ipod to the 30-pin connector, it still charges just fine. It just wont play music through the car's audio system. I can play CD's in the car just fine. The tape deck works as it should too.

Another issue is that now sometimes when I listen to the radio, it just cuts out sometimes. When this happens, the lights on the radio display that show you what station you're listening to and the time also dim. It'll stay like that for a few seconds and then come right back.

I haven't messed with my car at all. No aftermarket mods or anything, except the first time I opened up the dashboard to install the iPod connector. Does anyone know what the issue is? is the stock head unit dying or is it a wiring problem?
Old 01-08-2016, 08:00 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

I never had radio problems and read so many threads with people having issues. Then a few weeks ago my radio crapped out and I had to buy a replacement.

I guess it is just one of those things on the Z that is known to fail.

In my experience from what I have seen first hand as well as read on here, the following list sums up the majority of the 350Z problems:

1. Window motor
2. Stock radio
3. 5th Gear (on certain trannys)
4. Rear diff bushing (when the car is driven somewhat hard)

I have experienced 1, 2, and 3. 4 didn't happen since I have a brace lol.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:24 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

If you want to keep your stock radio instead of going aftermarket, I recommend you contact this company: http://www.unitedradio.com/automotiv...manufacturing/ They'll fix your radio for $200 and their work comes with a 1-year warranty. I can't say enough good things about them.

Otherwise dump everything Bose-related and go aftermarket.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:13 PM
ou8thisSN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zakmartin
If you want to keep your stock radio instead of going aftermarket, I recommend you contact this company: http://www.unitedradio.com/automotiv...manufacturing/ They'll fix your radio for $200 and their work comes with a 1-year warranty. I can't say enough good things about them.

Otherwise dump everything Bose-related and go aftermarket.
thank you for the tip. I really have no interest in going aftermarket, I'll give that company a call and see if they have an outlet in tennessee, where i'm located so I can bring my car in. My problem is intermittent, so I'm not sure they can help but lets see *fingers crossed*. Thanks again
Old 01-11-2016, 09:02 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ou8thisSN
I really have no interest in going aftermarket
Used factory radios show up in the market place all the time. Given the age of the car finding one that isn't all scratched up is going to be the challenge.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:03 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by ou8thisSN
thank you for the tip. I really have no interest in going aftermarket, I'll give that company a call and see if they have an outlet in tennessee, where i'm located so I can bring my car in. My problem is intermittent, so I'm not sure they can help but lets see *fingers crossed*. Thanks again
Sorry about the late reply, but they only have the one shop. It's pretty much the ONE place every good garage trusts to sends work out to. You're going to have to pull the radio and ship it off to them. Their turn-around is generally about 2-5 days. I do recommend that you check your power (constant and key on) and ground wire before you ship the head unit off, just to make sure you're getting good power and ground and the issue isn't harness-related.