Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Aftermarket CD Player

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 01:27 PM
RushStilts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket CD Player

I am buying an aftermarket cd player for my 03 Touring (at least i believe it is a touring it has seat heater switches in the center counsel). It has the bose stereo with the 10" sub behind the drivers seat. My question is to those of you who have done this before is Do i need to buy a CD Player with 3 rca Outputs? One for front, 1 for rear, and 1 for subwoofer?
The other issue is if I do where can i find a wiring adapter that has everything I need for it. I so far can only find one that has 2 rca outputs.

Attached is a link for what I would like to use.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/AVH-X1800S

Link of owners manual. Installation starts on page 53

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...nual100915.pdf
Old 02-04-2016, 07:20 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by RushStilts
My question is to those of you who have done this before is Do i need to buy a CD Player with 3 rca Outputs? One for front, 1 for rear, and 1 for subwoofer?
The other issue is if I do where can i find a wiring adapter that has everything I need for it.
The BOSE system doesn't work that way, its not an 3 way amp in the traditional sense. Think of it more like a crossover, you feed it a F/R stereo signal with 2 sets of RCA jacks and it figures out what part of the signal goes to each speaker. In other words you will not have control over the subwoofer from the radio via a dedicated channel / level control.

Most of us that have done this just ditch all the BOSE crap and install all new components: radio, amp & speakers. The BOSE system is just that... a "system" - it only works as a whole, replacing individual parts doesn't yield very good results. You can do it, but its a compromise in which the BOSE stuff will continue to be the weak link.

Here someone fighting the same problem in regards to the adapter:
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...o-install.html
The following users liked this post:
dboyzalter (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 07:54 AM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

I replaced my Bose in my HR with great results. I put a system in every car I own with two amps and all that. But this car does just fine with stock stuff and a head unit. I also don't drive the car daily so I'm sure I'd want more if I drove it all the time. But when I drove it for a couple weeks straight I was still happy
350zchad (02-05-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 06:21 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII
The BOSE system doesn't work that way, its not an 3 way amp in the traditional sense. Think of it more like a crossover, you feed it a F/R stereo signal with 2 sets of RCA jacks and it figures out what part of the signal goes to each speaker. In other words you will not have control over the subwoofer from the radio via a dedicated channel / level control.

Most of us that have done this just ditch all the BOSE crap and install all new components: radio, amp & speakers. The BOSE system is just that... a "system" - it only works as a whole, replacing individual parts doesn't yield very good results. You can do it, but its a compromise in which the BOSE stuff will continue to be the weak link.

Here someone fighting the same problem in regards to the adapter:
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...o-install.html
thats some solid advice.

Best bet is ditch it all and run new speaker wire to your nee speakers.

If you don't really like that idea your new head unit is just going to send a signal to the factory amp in the hatch area.. You will just need a head unit with 2 strong outputs front and rear speaker outputs and the subwoofer output would not be used.

That factory sub is a joke, the bose radio is garbage and the whole system is old and wasnt considered that great 13 years ago when it was new...

Good luck

My .02
Old 02-05-2016, 04:28 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

not to mention, the pioneer will output at 4 ohm, blose amp and speaker rating are (dont hold me to this exact number) 2 or 3 ohm i think. that is why it is best to swap everything and new wires
Old 02-05-2016, 04:38 AM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I replaced the bose unit with pioneer and kept all wires and speakers.. sounds just fine to me
HRMoneyPit (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 04:41 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

when i replaced my HU, the previous owner did the wiring to the front speakers (infinity, cant remember which series), so i think the rears and sub still ran off the blose, the bass was meh at best

it really depends on how ocd you are
Old 02-05-2016, 05:03 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

If you think it sounded fine with the stock head unit you will think it will sound fine with new hu... Its not going to upgrade anything but the features your new hu has the bose one didn't. Sound should remain the same because its only sending a signal.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:16 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

The wiring in the car is fine. I only switched mine out in order to keep the crossovers (component speakers separate tweeter / midrange) under my seats and not stash them in the doors in case I went the bi-amp later.

I've said it before... but I think the real reason the stock BOSE system stinks is the auto correcting / feedback microphone. I've never had a car where the stock bass level varies so much. The system which Nissan called "Audio Pilot" was (IMHO) just too big of a reach for tech in 2003. The idea was it picked up interior noise (in case you didn't notice the Z is a LOUD car) and attempted to adjust the audio signal to overcome the noise. It flat out didn't work and turned everything into a distorted mess. I never tried disconnecting the pickup (its located under the dash, you can see the little slots) because I always been an "audio guy" and knew I was going to replace everything. But WOW talk about being disappointed with the factory effort... especially considering this is the up-level system in what was (at the time) an expensive sports car, pretty much the most expensive Nissan you could buy. In comparison my wife's 2008 Volvo C30 (one of the cheaper Volvo's) has a fantastic factory audio system (Dynaudio branded like some VWs). Sure it lacks decent bass with no subwoofer and only 6" door speakers, but it is light years ahead of the Z.