Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Install Price Guestimate

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 09:30 AM
jhchan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install Price Guestimate

Can anyone give me a guestimate as to how much I should expect to pay if I brought a stereo shop new speakers, head unit and a basslink to install in the stock location? I would buy everything myself and just bring it in for the install. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2004, 02:53 PM
liptonme

Are you asking about the labor?

If so.. I got lots of different quotes. Labor for a 350Z isn't cheap. There is a lot of labor to do the rear speakers itself. It would probably cost considerably less if you just did the front speakers. HU 50-75, front speakers 75, basslink maybe 100-150 because of wiring.

When I had my stereo done: I had installed two amps, battery, front components, coax in the rear, and the HU. SHOULD HAVE COST 400-600. I don't think the guy knew what he was getting into (9 hour job) when he quoted me 130.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:54 PM
mofoz

i have heard of alot of people just not hooking up the rear speakers for a better sound stage with components up front. just something to think about.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:04 PM
jhchan

Thanks for the replies guys. I want to do components in front and in back. I will have to think about how to mount the tweeters in the back. I guess your comments about labor are making me cringe. I'm a total car stereo newbie.

So it was $400-600 just for the install of all your components!?!??! That is a lot!!! Is this normal??? I kind of wanted an idea for when I start looking around. That is if I can't get someone I know to help me....
Old 03-02-2004, 06:30 PM
BriA5

I paid $500 for a VERY good install, which included all PG wiring. This was for front components, rear coaxials, an amp, and a custom auxiliary input using an FM modulaor (as a temp. solution only) for my iPOD, all using my stock BOSE HU. Top notch work, if not a bit pricey.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:38 PM
jhchan

Originally posted by BriA5
I paid $500 for a VERY good install, which included all PG wiring. This was for front components, rear coaxials, an amp, and a custom auxiliary input using an FM modulaor (as a temp. solution only) for my iPOD, all using my stock BOSE HU. Top notch work, if not a bit pricey.
Wow I had no idea it was this pricey!!! I have to come up with a solution for my ipod too. The iTrip wireless FM modulator is just not cutting it. Too sensitive and have to always keep playing with the station to get a good signal (I'm near Boston). I guess I'll go for a headunit with AUX in and string a wire to the cockpit which can be hooked to the ipod. I hope I can get my buddy to help me out, sounds like buying him a luxurious dinner is going to be cheaper
Old 03-02-2004, 06:47 PM
D@ActiveTuning

Install from Circuit City considering you have all the parts:

$80 basslinik
$40/pair speakers
$65 Headunit

It's really not that hard to screw these up, and if they F anything up they are liable, so there's no point in paying $500+ for these things.

Just don't forget you'll need parts too:

Speaker harness
Wiring harness
Dash kit
Amp wires
Old 03-02-2004, 07:06 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid $250 BUT bought all the componets from the audio store that installed the system. I'm guessing $350-$400. I would not go by price but by how good they come across. I'd only go to a high end shop; to many things to screw up.

Avoid the national shops such as Good Guys, etc.

I told my shop: Tell me you need more money, tell me you need more time but do not let me find rattles.

Find a good shop & pay the piper!
Old 03-02-2004, 09:05 PM
ATC Ken

Default Re: Install Price Guestimate

Originally posted by jhchan
Can anyone give me a guestimate as to how much I should expect to pay if I brought a stereo shop new speakers, head unit and a basslink to install in the stock location? I would buy everything myself and just bring it in for the install. Thanks!
I paid $180 for 4 Infinity Reference speakers (front/back install) and then it cost me another $130 for the install. Not bad...and I had it done at the Circuit City near the Galleria here in Houston. They did an excellent job with no nicks/scratches, etc.

Very pleased - and a noticeable difference even with the stock stereo. Still waiting to install an HU that will work well with my iPod!

Ken
Old 03-02-2004, 09:40 PM
D@ActiveTuning

Default Re: Re: Install Price Guestimate

Originally posted by ATC Ken
I paid $180 for 4 Infinity Reference speakers (front/back install) and then it cost me another $130 for the install. Not bad...and I had it done at the Circuit City near the Galleria here in Houston. They did an excellent job with no nicks/scratches, etc.

Very pleased - and a noticeable difference even with the stock stereo. Still waiting to install an HU that will work well with my iPod!

Ken
It's only supposed to be $80 for the install from CC Maybe another $12 for harnesses
Old 03-02-2004, 11:00 PM
Shift33

I'm doing the exact setup you're looking into but by myself. I figure by paying someone $200 I can have it all done myself in 5 hours and at that rate, I can see it as making $40/hour.

All the install pics on the site is so good that I don't see why I would even need to have a shop do it. I'm putting in:
Alpine 9815
Lotus fronts
Kappa rears
Basslink

It should be good enough for decent sound.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:52 AM
zpylot

Hey Brickyard,
Where did you go here in Sacramento?
I was also told not to goto Fry's, Circuit City, etc.

Originally posted by The Brickyard Rat
I paid $250 BUT bought all the componets from the audio store that installed the system. I'm guessing $350-$400. I would not go by price but by how good they come across. I'd only go to a high end shop; to many things to screw up.

Avoid the national shops such as Good Guys, etc.

I told my shop: Tell me you need more money, tell me you need more time but do not let me find rattles.

Find a good shop & pay the piper!
Old 03-03-2004, 12:31 PM
vanwinkl

Do it yourself - save all of the money for more mods!