Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

How do I get stock NAV to play DVD's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Sins4u33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get stock NAV to play DVD's?

Is there a way i can get my stock navigation system to play DVD's?? my friend was telling me to try and get this done becuase it would be hot and probably save me money on buying a new headunit....is there any way....i did a few searches but haven't found anything on this topic....

Ben
Old 03-18-2004, 10:52 AM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

search for avelectronic

or review my thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=64493
Old 03-18-2004, 11:24 AM
mofoz

do u a search and realiaze that its gonna cost upwards of $500 so search then decide if its worth it.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:07 PM
Sins4u33

hmmmm....thought this would cheap....guess not....if anyone has any other options please dont hesitate to post.....

Ben
Old 03-18-2004, 10:37 PM
peterhong

I can tell you I made the unfortunate mistake of buying my Touring Z with the Nav Option. (total waste of $2000 in my opinion). I did end up converting my Nav screen to play DVDs via an external DVD player in my passenger glove box (Alpine DVA-5205) I used the Nav-TV RGB converter box with FM Modulator (to switch between radio/cd and DVD sound) and had to install another switch to switch between Nav and DVD inputs. All in all, this option was not cheap and ran me close to $1500 (b/c the Alpine unit cost me $800).

To make an already long story short, DO NOT CONVERT YOUR NAV TO PLAY DVDS!!!!! It is not worth the money. A better route is to gut the entire Bose system and either get a HU that plays DVDs (i.e. Kenwood Excelon, Alpine IVA-900,etc..), and just keep your Nav screen as is for Nav only. Because if you simply convert your stock Nav to play DVDs, you will not get true audio out of the DVD player because of the FM Modulator and as we all know, the Bose sux major *** and the sound is even worsened more with the FM Modulator.

PM me if you have any questions. And hope this helps. Also, I know the novelty of having a movie or music video or whatever playing in the car while driving seems cool and all, but believe me it seems better in your head than it is if you actually get the mod. That is, it is real distracting even if you are deadset on not looking at the screen, and you are also extra paranoid of cops cause it aint exactly legal to be watching something in the front seat of your car.