Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Anybody install a remote start on 6spd?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 09:33 PM
D@ActiveTuning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody install a remote start on 6spd?

Anybody done it with the Z and set it up as a safety so that it won't start in gear? If so, how did you do it? On my 3.5 Altima there was a neutral safety wire, but there doesn't seem to be one of the Z. Just trying to get the best ideas!
Old 03-25-2004, 02:24 PM
jfive

yes it can be done compustar
Old 03-25-2004, 02:46 PM
D@ActiveTuning

Huh? I know it can be done, I'm asking what the best way to make it so that it won't remote start unless the car is in neutral?
Old 03-25-2004, 04:54 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

This seems useless. Don't you always leave your car in reverse to keep it from rolling? It seems like "neutral" would be the rare occurance not the norm with a standard transmission.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:30 PM
isugoo

i put on 1st gear after i park not on reverse.
putting it on reverse is better?
Old 03-25-2004, 06:13 PM
ss350

I leave it in neutral and pull the e-brake when i park ....
Old 03-25-2004, 07:35 PM
D@ActiveTuning

Originally posted by ss350
Old 03-25-2004, 10:07 PM
Phatmitzu

Originally posted by ss350
Same here. Tried the leave in gear thingy...I always forget and let out the clutch...Doh!
Old 03-25-2004, 10:13 PM
350ed
Professional

No need to leave in gear if it's flat.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:19 PM
D@ActiveTuning

So back to my question
Old 03-25-2004, 10:53 PM
jerrera350

i got the clifford matrix 3.5 w/ remote start, 2-Way, prox, tilt sensor, up/down window, trunk pop, etc... I never use the remote start because if started in gear...goodbye front end. i have a toggle switch for on/off. its a great alarm system.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:23 AM
chaparro78

My manual '03 Z has a remote start - The only one i know that does it is the compustar alarm - Its expensive but I think it's worth it. It is made for maunal transmission cars. If the car is in gear it will no turn on. There is a saftey thing in it somewhere, give it up for technology - Besides remote start, it has auto door locks - rolls windows up and down - opens the trunk - has a display on the remote that lets u know what part of the car is being tamperred with - a paging system - a turbo timer - and has a 6000ft activation distance - Thats over a mile - I have never started it from that far though so i could not tell you. I was at my friends house and won 20 on a bet that i could start my car from hi place and he lives 3 blocks away. So i know it works from that distance.

You have to leave your car n neutral and place the emergency brake on - I do that anyways so it was no big deal - no hills in Dallas - when u turn the car off, the car will remain on uuntil u exit the car and close he door - once the door closes, the car shuts off, doors lock, and it arms itself - then u just disarm and hit the remote start button to turn it on when u wish - if the car is on and placed in gear with no key, it turns off and alarm sounds - also - if it is armed and u disarm it to get something out - then u disrupted the auto start - it stays on for 15 min - if u don't place a key in it it will shut off and arm itself again

i had it through the winter and it was nice having a warm car when i stepped inside it - it will be better come summer time when we have that 100 degree Texas heat and i step into a cool air conditioned car

Last edited by chaparro78; 03-26-2004 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:32 AM
BPL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you need to do something to bypass the immobilizer to get this to work? I thought the ignition wouldn’t work without an RFID key near by?
Old 03-26-2004, 07:19 AM
D@ActiveTuning

Originally posted by BPL
Do you need to do something to bypass the immobilizer to get this to work? I thought the ignition wouldn’t work without an RFID key near by?
Yeah, any car with an immobilizer chip in the key needs a transponder bypass. It's a box that is connected to the alarm, one of your keys has to always be in the box.

Regarding the computer star alarm, yeah, he has safety features built on. What I am asking is for an alarm that doesn't have this built in, has anybody done something to make it work? I know there are ways, like using magnets at the end of each gear...
Old 03-26-2004, 11:54 AM
n8vz

When i was shopping for my aftermarket alarm, i thought about the remote start. But my impression is that most installer will not do in in a 6spd. fear of accidents/legal liability.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:44 PM
D@ActiveTuning

They won't....but I am doing the install myself. I have about 75% of the alarm already in.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:11 PM
dimitri

I did mine a viper 791 xv not a problem easy for me used to be a installer i used the ebrake for safety if its down and i remote it wont let it start when its up it will start so even if i forgot and left in gear and start wont go no where ......simple.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:40 PM
shift_6x

what type of alarm did you get? because most remote start alarm systems now have safety functions to allow you to install a remote start on a manual transmission. i just finished installing my remote start on my 350z. i got a clifford avantgaurd 5, much like the viper alarm, i am still fresh in my memory of where wires are so if you need help with wire location let me know i can probably help you out. as for the remote start safety, i used the parking brake as well, most alarm systems require your parking brake wire to be connected as a safety feature anyway, but it would be good practice to of course keep your car in neutral, but to FULLY ENGAGE YOUR PARKING BRAKE. if you don't engage the brake good enough and the car is in gear, the car will probably still jump forward. does your alarm require you to find your tachometer wire?
Old 03-26-2004, 05:50 PM
D@ActiveTuning

Yeah the parking brake thing is easy enough, but it's not 100% in my mind.

I don't leave my car in gear anyway, but I want to set something up just in case.

The alarm does require me to find the tach wire...that's already hooked up. The only thing I have left is to run wires to the door locks (speaking of, where did you guys run the wire? Did you drill a new hole???), put in the 555u transponder, and hook up the hoodpin.

Let me know where you guys ran the door lock wires?
Old 03-26-2004, 06:33 PM
shift_6x

i am going to call a couple of people i used to install with and see what tricks they know, 20+ yrs of experience i am hoping they know a couple of tricks for a neutral safety wire type security. i will get back to you on that one.

now, i don't really understand why you are hooking up the hood pin, it reallly isn't that necessary, i would understand if you had $ under the hood (parts or what not) but it would be eXTREMELY difficult for even the most professional of theives to open a modern day vehicle's hood from anywhere but the hood latch inside the cabin area. in such case they would have to get into the cabin, if they did that they would have already set off the alarm, but that is entirely up to you. i am pretty thorough on alarm installations, but i suppose i am not one that goes all out on them.

the 555u transponder bypass is pretty easy, (about 15 min.)

now the lock wires, i fishwired them using the door wiring harness, i like to conceil wires as much as possible so that is why i did that, i just zip tied the lock wires to the harness, the wiring harness is taped up, so it provides a pretty smooth surface and fairly easy travel through the stuffing tube. take the front door panel off, use something flimsy like a flimsy tree branch or something like that, make sure there are no ragged edges, elctric tape the wire to whatever you choose to use, push it as far as you can get it, and you can hook it from the other end, it works. it may sound wierd, but it works, without drilling, it is the best way i have ever used. it takes you having to bend over backwards (literally) to get near the kick panel, cuz the door wiring harness is up in there pretty good, but it will work out, just follow the leading edge of the wiring harness and you will be ok. it took only one try for me to get it through. after that, connect the lock/unlock wires. i hope this helps you.

question for u.

where did you end up installing your tilt sensor, proximity sensor, and your antenna if you don't mind. i understand if you don't want to broadcast the location of your alarm inside your car. i just have a feeling that i didn't put them in a secure location. the 350 is not exactly the most space friendly car. hard to find hiding places. i put my antenna on the other side of my dome light assembly attached to the metal surface pointing down at the windshield, but i still don't get maximum range on my remote.

thanks

Quick Reply: Anybody install a remote start on 6spd?