Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Clifford Alarm System Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 10:10 AM
ZintheKeys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clifford Alarm System Opinions

Hey everyone,

Went alarm shopping this morning. Was looking at the Clifford Itelliguard 850 and adding the SmartWindows feature.

Wondering if anyone has used this system and were happyt with it?

Was also thinking with going with the Clifford AvantGuard 5 with the Intellistart feature to remote start the car. I have a Manual but i am in the keys and part on completely flat surfaces. So the car is always in neutral with the parking break on.

Pros and Cons or is just a really bad idea?

Thanks,
Jesse
Old 04-03-2004, 01:05 PM
KPierson
Banned

Default Re: Clifford Alarm System Opinions

You can control the windows directly with (-) output validity channels. If you have two validity channels availible you don't need any extra parts. If you only have one channel, you can set it up to put the windows up every time you arm the car, and then you can vent them if you want to keep them down.

As far as the remote start goes the factory Nissan tranny has a PNP switch (Park/Nuetral Position) that goes to ground whenever the car is in nuetral. Hook this wire up to your Nuetral Safety Switch input and you'll be good to go. Of course it is always a good idea to check periodically that the switch is still working by trying to start the car with you in it when its not in gear.

I personally prefer Viper alarms, but that is probably only because I have the most experiance installing them and the little experiance I have installing Cliffords (old ones) hasn't been plesent.

Kevin

Originally posted by ZintheKeys
Hey everyone,

Went alarm shopping this morning. Was looking at the Clifford Itelliguard 850 and adding the SmartWindows feature.

Wondering if anyone has used this system and were happyt with it?

Was also thinking with going with the Clifford AvantGuard 5 with the Intellistart feature to remote start the car. I have a Manual but i am in the keys and part on completely flat surfaces. So the car is always in neutral with the parking break on.

Pros and Cons or is just a really bad idea?

Thanks,
Jesse
Old 04-03-2004, 06:54 PM
350ed
Professional

Kevin, what do you recommend in the Viper Line? Do they have remote notification from a long distance kinda like the Compustars? Proximity sensors cheap to add?
Old 04-04-2004, 03:10 AM
KPierson
Banned

I don't like the 2way LCD alarms. They transmitters are ***ile and expensive. Also, I have no need for the range provided by them or the feedback. I like the Viper 550esp, which is now the Viper 560XV. I have one on my work truck and might put one on my G if I ever find the time!

Kevin

Originally posted by 350ed
Kevin, what do you recommend in the Viper Line? Do they have remote notification from a long distance kinda like the Compustars? Proximity sensors cheap to add?
Old 06-25-2004, 09:31 PM
ChopstiX

so does viper offer something for standard transmissions for remote start.. do they have something where if you have the car in gear and try to do a remote start it wont start..
Old 06-26-2004, 09:46 AM
bikester1986

look at the viper 791 xv it has everything but dont know if any company has it wont start in gear. no professional shops will install remote start on manuals because of if you left it in gear and started it it would jump forward and can kill someone
Old 06-26-2004, 10:16 AM
KPierson
Banned

Originally posted by bikester1986
look at the viper 791 xv it has everything but dont know if any company has it wont start in gear. no professional shops will install remote start on manuals because of if you left it in gear and started it it would jump forward and can kill someone
There are numerous companies that make remote starts that require a specific shutdown before allowing you to remote start a manual. These shutdown procedures ensure the car CANNOT be in gear.

As far as Viper, I don't believe they have anything like that. However, the Zs (and most Nissan/Infiniti vehicles) have factory neutral safety switches. This switch goes to (-)ground whenever the car is in neutral. This switch is mounted in the tranny and is connected on one side directly to ground and the other side goes to the ECU. This signal can be sued to somewhat safely add a remote start to these cars. I same somewhat because, like any mechanical switch, there is the possibility that the switch would fail, and short out, and allow you to remote start at any time. The likely hood of this happening is very, very small.

Kevin