Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

RCA Inputs to Bose head unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 02:31 PM
Jackdaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCA Inputs to Bose head unit

I would like to install an mp3 player in my 350Z.
I was told by Nissan that the Bose head unit has no RCA inputs.
Courtesy Parts have an "N-Bus Extender Harness for Satellite Radio" .
I live in the UK and have no use for satellite radio. I was wondering whether anyone in the USA has one of these and could tell me whether the XM or Sirius units output an analogue stereo signal which is then carried by two of the wires on the harness to the head unit. If so, I wonder whether it would be possible to cut these wires and solder on two rca sockets.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:52 AM
birkler

Apparently the Bose head unit have inputs for a sat radio option. I do not know where this connector is located. The inputs are balanced inputs; you cannot directly modify them to RCA. (RCA is unbalanced). You will need to convert from unbalanced to balanced, this can be done with a couple of resistors and capacitors.

One pin in the connecter is the sat radio input. Ground this and the HU should accept the audio pins.

Have you found the connector for the sat radio options? Where is it?
Old 05-02-2004, 11:50 AM
Jackdaw

Thanks for your help.
The link to the part (I think) is as above:

Extender Harness link

I know only a little about electronics, but on the basis of what you say would this be an easy modification? Would you consider doing a short guide to this?
Old 05-02-2004, 01:32 PM
birkler

Default schematic

DISCLAIMER:Use at own risk.

This should convert your RCA to balanced input. Have not confirmed that it works or that the color codes of the wires are correct.

However the control is more complex than I indicated, you will probably not get the audio thru the speakers. You will need to talk N-link with the Bose HU to get it to switch to the audio inputs...
Attached Thumbnails RCA Inputs to Bose head unit-unbalanced.png  
Old 05-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Jackdaw

Birkler,

Are you willing to give this a go? If so, I will send you an extender harness to try it out with. I'm really missing my Neo Car Jukebox.
Alternatively, is anyone else able to try this? I don't have the technical ability myself.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:22 PM
KPierson
Banned

From my understanding there are three communication lines between the SAT box and the HU. You will need to mimic what the SAT box is saying otherwise the HU will read NO SAT when you hit the SAT button. A few companies have been working on this for a LONG time (PAC, etc) so I am assuming this is not a simple task.

If I ever get around to it I am going to attempt to crack the code, but that is very low on my priority list!

Kevin

Originally posted by Jackdaw
Birkler,

Are you willing to give this a go? If so, I will send you an extender harness to try it out with. I'm really missing my Neo Car Jukebox.
Alternatively, is anyone else able to try this? I don't have the technical ability myself.