Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

My AVIC-N1 review

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 01:23 PM
G35Couper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My AVIC-N1 review

I recently put in the AVIC-N1 and 960MP into my roadster. I used to have the stock system in my G35 Coupe. Overall, I am happy with the AVIC, but there are a few things I would like to change.

The good:
- Touch screen is nice.
- Calculates routes and finds thing faster. Changing scale is much, much faster on the avic.
- Ability to watch movies and system monitoring function is cool.
- More search functionality.
- More categories to search on, cooler looking icons.

The bad:
- On the G35 stock system, I could use the joystick to scrool around. To do this on the AVIC you touch the screen and it is not very convenient. The avic has a joystick, but it is only used for selecting radio stuff. I see no reason why it could not be used to scroll.
- There is no bird's eye view on the avic like the stock. There is a flat map view, and a driving view, but the driving view show very little in front of the car, to me it seems worthless.
- So, far I have put in two addresses (my home and a friend's) both of which the avic says does not exists??? The stock G35 had no trouble finding them and entering into the address book. I do not know if it is because the data is old (this is new, the G35 was from 2 years ago, so why would it be "old") or if the search lookup has bugs/errors, either way it is annoying so far.
- I had it guide me to three other places and the route is choose (both in the "fastest" and the "shortest" were wrong). It seems to not really take into account all streets and speeds available on those streets (it had me go an extra 25 miles on a freeway when the surface street would have been much quicker. 15 miles on the surface streets 33 miles by freeway/surface street combo). This does not seem a fluke as it has done it 3 times at different places. I t likes to go in big circles to get someplace it could go directly.

I really like the avic and think overall it is better than the stock. All of my complaints can easily be fixed by software. Mechanically and physically, the avic wins hands down. Functionaly, it is a winner, except in a few minor areas stated above. Hopefully the next version of the software will fix the problems/issues/dislikes and then it will be better in all ways.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:08 AM
RANDY350Z

Can you post a pic of this in your "G" ?
Old 05-13-2004, 06:22 AM
Whataguy5431

Default Screen in roadster

I'm considering the AVIC for my LS Roadster, how is the viewability of the screen with the top down on a sunny to partly cloudy day? And what is the 960MP? Have you found any available updates to the software? If it can't find the right things and give you the correct directions, what's the point?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2004, 06:28 AM
G35Couper

Default Re: Screen in roadster

Originally posted by Whataguy5431
I'm considering the AVIC for my LS Roadster, how is the viewability of the screen with the top down on a sunny to partly cloudy day? And what is the 960MP? Have you found any available updates to the software? If it can't find the right things and give you the correct directions, what's the point?

Thanks
In bright sun it is harder to see, but you can adjust the anglein steps so I just move it forward and backwards until I can see it. It has not been a problem so far and I live in Phoenix and we seem to have a lot of sun here. The 960 is the pioneer premier cd player. I did not want to swap out the nav dvd to listen to a cd so I put a HU in also and route all the audio through it. But you are correct about the finding things. I think the software maps are at least 3 to 4 years out of date. I have sent an email to pioneer to inquire about newer map data. I am waiting for a reply. Does anyone else with an AVIC find the data to be old?
Old 05-13-2004, 07:53 PM
zonester

HEy guys. If anyone wants to buy one, Let me know. I can get this from my ditributor in Tex. I can do $1780 shipped anywhere in US gound. I'm only doing this for my fella 350Z/G35 owners. PM me for pay info.
Comes with full manufacture' s warranty and legit invoice.
www.chtsystems.net

I'll post pics on my car when I get back from LA this weekend. My dad'a in hospital.. sucks.....
Old 05-13-2004, 09:34 PM
xswl0931

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by RANDY350Z
Can you post a pic of this in your "G" ?
I also have it installed. You can check out some pics here
Old 05-14-2004, 03:46 AM
G35Couper

Originally posted by zonester
HEy guys. If anyone wants to buy one, Let me know. I can get this from my ditributor in Tex. I can do $1780 shipped anywhere in US gound. I'm only doing this for my fella 350Z/G35 owners. PM me for pay info.
Comes with full manufacture' s warranty and legit invoice.
www.chtsystems.net

I'll post pics on my car when I get back from LA this weekend. My dad'a in hospital.. sucks.....
I bought it from an authorized retailer (Ultimate Electronics) for $1599, so I would think it could be had for less than $1780.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:56 AM
b3n84

How did the install go on your coupe? Did you get the Japanese AC controller/Double Din for it to work? Did it replace your stock stereo or was it FM modulated?
Old 05-15-2004, 05:18 PM
TeamShiftPoint

I dislike the avic-n1

my current system is a pioneer avh-p6400cd with standalone avic90 navi unit in my sequoia. I like it. but its acouple years old now.

I just finished installing an avic-n1 for a customer in his 350Z TT. and the thing is annoying. it makes a really loud beep noise when you touch the screen and push a button. it doesnt come with a remote either.

I installed a avh-p6500dvd into my friends I30, its nice. couple that with the new navi unit avic80. it has both touch screen capabilities and also has a joystick remote to control with.

i would either get the 7500dvd or the 6500dvd and the avic80 navi unit.

the only thing I like about the avic n1 is that it is navi and screen built into one.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:19 PM
xswl0931

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by TeamShiftPoint
I dislike the avic-n1

I just finished installing an avic-n1 for a customer in his 350Z TT. and the thing is annoying. it makes a really loud beep noise when you touch the screen and push a button. it doesnt come with a remote either.
You can turn down or turn off the beep in the options. However, it looks like there is currently a bug when you restart the unit, it defaults to a beep. I sent a comment to Pioneer and hopefully they will fix it. The remote is an optional accessory, but I agree it should have been included (as well as voice command which is seperate, but packaged with the remote). Note that my 9400MP remote works with the AVIC-N1, so you can just buy a cheaper replacement remote.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:06 AM
Whataguy5431

Default G35COUPER

You have PM