Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Stock head unit with sub?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 04:28 PM
AV630

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock head unit with sub?

Can i make a sub work with a stock head unit on a performance 350z without bose? does the stock head unit have pre outs? i have an amp the sub but can it work with my stock head unit?
Old 05-18-2004, 04:50 PM
MonkeyBoy

The stock unit does not have pre-outs. You would have to use LOC's (line out converters) to convert the signal to an RCA for use with an amp. The only problem with this is if you are running the existing wiring to the stock locations, you are going to have several impedance issues.

Maybe some more people can help with this topic. Hope this helps!
Old 05-18-2004, 10:33 PM
AV630

So i would need line out converters... what is that? and.... what impedance issues would i have and what causes them?

sorry i know jack about car audio. but i bought my eclipse 12in aluminum tonight..... so im gonna find a good amp and a decent box. anyone recomend an amp?
Old 05-19-2004, 07:04 AM
motown

Yep, if your new amp does not have high-level inputs built in, you'll need a line-level to RCA converter spliced into the factory wiring from your head unit. I would advise having a shop do this unless you are very knowledgable about your car's electrical system. There are definite pro's and con's to this type of set-up. The pro's are obvious, lower cost, stock look, etc. The con's can be serious though. One of the main reasons I would recommend a pro to install this piece is the possibility for noise that these converters can generate. In fact, they're prone to noise IMHO. A professional installation should guarantee minimal noise generation. The other big con is sound quality. If you're into clean, pristine reproduction, I would strongly advise against this type of install. Having said that, the audible difference in the lower range of sound frequency is minimal. Personally, I've used these in my cars for sub amps only. Again, a very cost-effective alternative. If you intend to run full-range speakers from this, not such a good idea. Probably your best bet is to just try to find an amp with high-level inputs. I don't know the sensitivity rating, but I would imagine that that Eclipse sub is probably pretty power hungry. Personally, I would look at a Phoenix Gold amp if I had no budgetairy constraints. Hopefully this will be helpful...

-Mike