Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Speaker Upgrading off stock HU..

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 07:50 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Upgrading off stock HU..

For kicks I read some of these 350z forums a few weeks ago when I was dreaming of getting a Z, but even through horrible odds....

I now own a 350z

I remember reading that the stock base model system really sucks but I have yet to find that. It doesn’t sound too bad, but improvement can be made.

I also remember reading that the stock amp(separate from hu?) runs at 2 ohm and will not drive an aftermarket set of speakers to the proper volumes. Can anyone tell me if any of this is true?

My intentions(or what is running through my head):
I want to keep the stock dash intact.

I will be running Phoenix Gold Elite Components

The rear speakers will be the last things to be changed out

I will be running a small alpine amp later on all speakers

I will prob install the Infinity bass whatchama-call-it

Once I have amps for the speakers I am going to run a Phoenix Gold EQ that will be my receiver for my CD player (stock hu) and my Ipod

My reasoning in doing my system like that is so that I don’t have to break the dash up; I will get more EQ flexibility with the aftermarket EQ and more control over individual channels

In addition, the standalone EQ is cheaper then a more expensive HU (i.e. those alpine HUs everyone loves) that gives me less flexibility

FOR NOW:

Replace the door speakers and wire in a modulator for the Ipod

any comments?
Old 05-23-2004, 09:28 AM
georgiaboy
Banned

i personally like the kappa perfects!!
Old 05-25-2004, 05:49 AM
cal_z

I added subs and an amp to my stock head unit and the end result was just as I had suspected. It sucks. The stock stereo is so inferior to the aftermarket set up, that I can't stop at just that. The mids and highs both are over powered by the subs and the head unit does not match to the sound of what it could be. I managed to tap into the wiring were all the bass and treble controls are still operated from the head unit which is just not enough. I had seperate bass and treble controls on my first head unit(pioneer super tuner) in a chevette back in 1985. The bose is probably equal to that!! I will have to eventually change the head unit also to get that clean crisp sound that I am use to.
At first, I thought it was a great idea to keep the stock head. I see why people were trying to get me to replace it also. We live and learn. I'm just hard headed.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:14 AM
MadneZz

Actually, the stock speakers for the front are not bad as you think.
I got a new deck, and amp for the front stock speakers and it sounded really good-for stock. It bump enough to rattle my right door. Now the read speakers SUCK. Even with 65rms amp.. I cant really hear much out of it. No mid bass.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:03 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

At first, I thought it was a great idea to keep the stock head. I see why people were trying to get me to replace it also. We live and learn. I'm just hard headed.

I am hard headed also... but the phoenix gold processor is something the Car Audio guys dont want you to know about.
It works just about exactly like a home audio reciever. The stock HU will not amp anything speakers or control any sound, it will just play cds.

But one has to have amps before the processor can be put into place
Actually, the stock speakers for the front are not bad as you think. I got a new deck, and amp for the front stock speakers and it sounded really good-for stock. It bump enough to rattle my right door. Now the read speakers SUCK. Even with 65rms amp.. I cant really hear much out of it. No mid bass.
dynomat is key in aftermarket anything, even stock setups could be helped out with it
Old 05-28-2004, 12:32 PM
shortcut3d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 04 Bose is not bad at all with 75% dynamat and vblock installed. The Z has pratically no insulation or sound dampening material. Behind the carpet and plastic is alot of metal.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:07 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

I've been enjoying my modest upgrade of MB Quart DSC-216s up front with a US Acoustics USX-2100 amp. Kept the rear stock speakers for rear fill only. The stock Clarion head unit offers simple control;s and accurate playback for this type of setup. A side benefit is that it looks totally stock, but sounds much better!