Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

New Z owner has a few q's -please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 04:51 PM
mumra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Z owner has a few q's -please help!

I finally purchased a new Z this weekend (Enthusiast MT6 with some misc goodies from the dealer as well WOW is it fun! It is just sooo much fun to drive! Anyway back on topic...

I must say that the stock stereo is an absolute joke. I guess I was a little spoiled in my old car, but thought it would honestly be a little bit better than it is. On that note, the stereo will be my first mod to my new car. I have been going over countless threads looking for info about the car and have found many of my answers already but have a few more...

1. It seems many of you have opted to place tweeters back in the door sails. Although this may work, I’m concerned about putting a “real” set of speakers in their place. I really think that setup will be much too bright in that location. I did see someone with kick panels, but I don’t feel like spending a whole weekend doing it Does anyone make them?

2. I’ll say it…has anyone dared to be adventurous and drill a new hole into the panel for a tweet? If so, I would like to see it and know your impressions based on the location. Pics are appreciated!

3. Amp location. Behind the driver seat look like a nice little cubbyhole but looks a little congested, any thoughts on an ideal location for two amps…?? Maybe a fan would be in order for the smaller compartment if nothing else.

Oh btw here is the pile of stuff I want to install…

Alpine 7995
Linear Power 2.2
JBL 1200.1
eD 15A
New front comps. I still need to buy since I sold my old set with my last car. Probably go with focal.

Some pics…

My sub. It may be a little overkill in the Z, but since I have it and dont have the money to get a smaller one right now, it will have to do...

Here is my pile of stuff. I was in big hurry to get it out of my old car for the trade in...not letting this stuff go with the old ride

4. What is the amp output of the Z alternator? Does anyone make an aftermarket HO alt? Maybe I wont need one if it is high enough.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Last edited by mumra; 06-06-2004 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:54 PM
mumra

Wtf...

Used [ img] [ /img] around pic url and it still didnt show..am I doing something wrong?
Old 06-06-2004, 05:05 PM
mumra

Lets try this...

Nm...i give up
Old 06-07-2004, 06:24 AM
mumra

Pics. I think I got it to work...I just hate having to click links in threads

The sub

Pile of stereo equipment

Old 06-07-2004, 10:04 AM
SmokinZ

I mounted my tweets on the outside af the A-pillars (where the stock ones were , but on the outside of panel)

Sound great there - not too bright at all IMO

I made a board to mount amp on behind seats between strut bar and speaker humps - works well - looks great

Don't know Alt. amp output but I'm sure you will be fine...
Are you using a Capacitor? If not, then I suggest you install one.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:57 PM
mumra

Thanks smokin. Maybe I'll try the tweets there first and see if I like them. I can always move them if I dont like it.

Caps..ahh...I have mixed feeling on caps. I really think they are a not necessary, and in fact, a waste of money if you have a good charging system, but to each his own. You probably wont see a cap in my car. I will upgrade the magic three first and see what happens.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:02 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by mumra
Thanks smokin. Maybe I'll try the tweets there first and see if I like them. I can always move them if I dont like it.

Caps..ahh...I have mixed feeling on caps. I really think they are a not necessary, and in fact, a waste of money if you have a good charging system, but to each his own. You probably wont see a cap in my car. I will upgrade the magic three first and see what happens.
Two amps will fit in the space behind the drivers seat...heres pics of my setup...

Old 06-08-2004, 11:23 PM
bastard

I believe it's either a 110 or 115 amp alternator. You can easily fit two or maybe three amps behind the driver's seat with room to spare for ventilation. Fans would probably be a good idea (I'm thinking about it for mine, the JL 300/4 is a furnace). If that's a 15" sub, you'll probably have to build something in the rear floor replacing the spare.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:47 AM
mumra

Thanks Miaplaya for the pics. Nice setup BTW! Did you mount them (amps) directly to the floor or did you build an amp rack? Also, is heat an issue for you? Did you mount fans or anything?

Bastard (great name btw lol) - Thanks for answering my alt q. I will probably have to build a new box for it like you said. I have a ported and sealed box for it already and neither will really fit. The sealed box will sort of fit standing up but looks like hell. I might do something completely custom and have a sub box built with places for my amps to flank each side of the sub. My brother is a finish carpenter and is very good at stuff like that. I will try and make it as stealthy as possible.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:24 AM
Zrated

I have been told that tweets in the stock position is a big no no.
You want to have them as close as you can to your mid woofers.

I plan on installing mine in the door panel right next to the 6.5"s,
and adding the CDT Audio Upstage System to the A pillars.

I will also be installing a small fan in the compartment behind the seat to have some air flowing. My to total system should be around 800w RMS w/ JL 300-2 and 500-1.

Sorry, no pics.. I'm still waiting for my stuff.

Last edited by Zrated; 06-09-2004 at 04:34 AM.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:07 AM
MIAPLAYA

Thanks Miaplaya for the pics. Nice setup BTW! Did you mount them (amps) directly to the floor or did you build an amp rack? Also, is heat an issue for you? Did you mount fans or anything?

Bastard (great name btw lol) - Thanks for answering my alt q. I will probably have to build a new box for it like you said. I have a ported and sealed box for it already and neither will really fit. The sealed box will sort of fit standing up but looks like hell. I might do something completely custom and have a sub box built with places for my amps to flank each side of the sub. My brother is a finish carpenter and is very good at stuff like that. I will try and make it as stealthy as possible.
My amps are mounted to small boards of MDF which are mounted to the floor. They were just mounted to the floor in those pics. I didn't build a rack or get to elaborate cause I wanted the stealth appearance. Beleive it or not with the trunk closed you have to LOOK for the subs or you wouldn't know they were there. As for fans....I thought about it.....but I haven't had a single probelm without one. That includes long trips on hot days. If you have a high current amp or one that has relatively ineffective heatsinks like a Rockford amp you may want to use some fans. The JL 250/1 and Alpine MRV-F340 I have are fine back there.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:07 AM
SmokinZ

I'd like to see what that looks like with tweets mounted in the door.... hmmmm...

I'd really like to know how in the heck you plan on doing that ...lol
Old 06-09-2004, 08:09 AM
SmokinZ

Geeez... no more trunk for that Miaplaya guy....

I'm gonna take pics tonight of my system and mountings and post them here. You guys tell me what you think...

I did it all myself and have never even come close to doing anything like it before.... I'm pretty proud!! LOL
Old 06-09-2004, 08:16 AM
SmokinZ

Also, mumra, I went the last 2-3 months with the CAP out of my car (cuz i was waiting to install mute circuit) and just recently put it back in. It hits much harder and sounds much better WITH the CAP installed....

Also, obviously, when I really crank it up I get no dim lights and power problems...

Why spend a ****-load of cash on upgrading your charging system when all you gotta do is install a capacitor??????
Old 06-09-2004, 08:41 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by SmokinZ
Geeez... no more trunk for that Miaplaya guy....

I'm gonna take pics tonight of my system and mountings and post them here. You guys tell me what you think...

I did it all myself and have never even come close to doing anything like it before.... I'm pretty proud!! LOL
Like theres a trunk to begin with...honestly....As for the cap I'd put it in....I didn't at first and the stock power system held up for a while. But then it started to gradually wear down. I put in my Monster 1 Farad Cap and I'm gonna add an Optima red Top next week.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:17 AM
Zrated

I'd like to see what that looks like with tweets mounted in the door.... hmmmm...

I'd really like to know how in the heck you plan on doing that ...lol
Right on the little flair next to the 6.5s, not on the kick panel side. Gives it a nice little angle too. Shouldn't be a problem with a little work.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:14 AM
SmokinZ

dude.... forget the optima get an O6 orbital battery from NAPA
best u can get !!
Old 06-09-2004, 01:06 PM
mumra

hmmm...some good ideas for sure, thanks guys. I hate drilling into the door panel, especially since it has almost no flat spots. I am going to tear into this thing this weekend. I need to examine that cubby hole a little better and really plan out how I want to mount the amps I guess; I really like full stealth designs.

Smokin - don’t forget to post some pics, I would like to see. Never heard of on O6 orbital battery? Is it new?
Old 06-09-2004, 01:25 PM
SmokinZ

hmmm...some good ideas for sure, thanks guys. I hate drilling into the door panel, especially since it has almost no flat spots. I am going to tear into this thing this weekend. I need to examine that cubby hole a little better and really plan out how I want to mount the amps I guess; I really like full stealth designs.

Smokin - don’t forget to post some pics, I would like to see. Never heard of on O6 orbital battery? Is it new?
Well, my design is DEFINITELY not stealthy... Heh Heh.
I will have pics here in a few hours, check back later this evening!

"O6" battery is new name for NAPA's orbital battery. (made by DEKA / EAST PENN)

best battery on market, period.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:40 PM
MIAPLAYA

Well, my design is DEFINITELY not stealthy... Heh Heh.
I will have pics here in a few hours, check back later this evening!

"O6" battery is new name for NAPA's orbital battery. (made by DEKA / EAST PENN)

best battery on market, period.
What are you basing this on?

Quick Reply: New Z owner has a few q's -please help!