Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Stereo question from a novice

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 08:07 AM
hugo1669

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo question from a novice

Ok I have never been much into car stereos but I figured I'd add something to this one.
First of all I have the stock stereo that comes with the track model. I wanted to add a sub. I don't care about "incredible sound" or setting off car alarms, I just want a little better bass. Here are my questions.

1 What do I need to do to use a stock sub from a 350z with the Bose system?
2. What else will I need to do to intall this. "I just want to put it in the original location.
3. How much will this cost?
4. Are there any better alternatives for around the same cost?
5. Can the original radio power a sub or do I need something else?
Thanks
Old 06-15-2004, 07:25 PM
Masterfulks

I've been doing this research myself lately so I may have a few answerish things....

I have yet to begin messing with the audio, but just from my readings....

1. You'll need the sub , a wiring kit to connect it to the HU, and an amp to push it.

2. I dont know how the stock sub is mounted on the Touring models, but the survey says that you'll either need to build a box for that spot, or do a lot of padding.

3. Nissan sells the bose 10" for about $150, but it seems like that is a ripoff what what you get. I personally plan to go with a 10" Infinity Perfect so far... If you're just powering the sub with the amp then you should able to do it for under 200 or so depending on what you want to push.

4 See 3

5. It appears that you will need an amp to power a sub.

Again I have just been searching for similar answers, and this is what I have...

Hit www.crutchfield.com for an idea of speaker/amp prices...
Old 06-16-2004, 04:41 AM
hugo1669

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:37 AM
toykilla

10" infinity perfecty would sound great.. thats what i have.. but you would need an amp to push it.. at least 300-500watt amp ~$300+

the infinity baselink cant be beat for the price and simplicity..
Old 06-16-2004, 08:29 AM
MSGarrett1

Default Re: Stereo question from a novice

Originally posted by hugo1669
Ok I have never been much into car stereos but I figured I'd add something to this one.
First of all I have the stock stereo that comes with the track model. I wanted to add a sub. I don't care about "incredible sound" or setting off car alarms, I just want a little better bass. Here are my questions.

1 What do I need to do to use a stock sub from a 350z with the Bose system?
2. What else will I need to do to intall this. "I just want to put it in the original location.
3. How much will this cost?
4. Are there any better alternatives for around the same cost?
5. Can the original radio power a sub or do I need something else?
Thanks
I've been a car audio fan/enthusiast for many years, and have personally installed my own systems, so I think I can be of help to you, as you are clearly just getting started with this endeavor.

1. Do NOT get the stock Bose sub. Unless someone gives you their old one for free, it is not worth anything you would pay Nissan for it. I assume this was your plan--to buy it from Nissan Parts. The Bose system is complicated and unlike any other aftermarket system in that it uses multiple, smaller amplifiers for each driver (speaker) instead of one, centrally located amplifier with X number of channels. Also, the impedance of the Bose drivers are odd.

2. If your only goal is to add a subwoofer, you'll need a sub, an enclosure for the sub (sealed enclosure, band-pass enclosure, ported, or free-air, whatever the sub is designed for), an external amplifier (NO the head unit's amp will NOT power a sub--you'll fry any headunit's amp), and the wiring to wire the amp and sub. Also, you'll need a way to get the music signal to the amplifier from the headunit. If you use an after market headunit with pre-amp outs, or an RCA converter, you will just plug RCA cables into the amp. If, you purchase an external amplifier that accepts speaker level inputs, then you can splice off existing speaker wires to the sub (this would be the cheapest and lowest quality method). If you wish to use the stock location, you will need to modify it for a sealed enclosure--this will take some time and fabrication skills, or you will need a free air sub.

3. Cost depends on quality, if you pay for the labor or do it yourself, and where you shop for your components--retail vs. wholesale vs. internet. There are some good deals out there.

4. Yes. Here is my recommendation. I don't usually recommend Crutchfield, but in your case, as you are just now starting out, and it doesn't sound like you have too much experience in this area, I think it is best for you. Go to their web site, and read and browse. I recommend you purchase an aftermarket head unit, and speakers to begin with. If you want a sub, buy a sub, amp, and amp wiring kit, too. The nice thing about Crutchfield, is that they will provide, free of charge, an installation kit and wiring adapter with any headunit purchase. Also, they provide detailed installion instructions with pictures, free of charge to help you install the headunit and speakers. The pictures are specific to your vehicle (ie. pictures of the Z with panels off, etc.) Also, they have toll-free 1-800 number to call for any questions that you have related to the products they sell or related to installation, once that begins.

Here is what I did, but I went a little crazy and expensive. https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=27231

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=31971
Old 06-16-2004, 09:56 AM
toykilla

i agree.. do not get the stock subwoofer.. there are hundreds that are better and cheaper