Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Where to put my focal crossovers!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 12:18 AM
drsifu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm...

i have a g35 coupe...but I believe the mounting depths are all the same.

i'm having the 165KP's and 165CV's installed on Tuesday. I took some measurements and would like to see some more pics of your KPs mounted without spacers. Does your window roll all the way down?

don't the KPs have an 85 mm magnet? i still can't believe you got the KPs to fit without spacers. That's pretty amazing.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:02 AM
chaparro78

here is a pic of the door panel
Attached Thumbnails Where to put my focal crossovers!-doorpanel.jpg  
Old 06-27-2004, 01:03 AM
chaparro78

here they are installed
Attached Thumbnails Where to put my focal crossovers!-focalinstall.jpg  
Old 06-27-2004, 01:08 AM
chaparro78

closer look
Attached Thumbnails Where to put my focal crossovers!-focalzoom.jpg  
Old 06-27-2004, 04:55 AM
mumra

Originally posted by chaparro78
No, no spacer. Thats why I thought it was odd that people were talking about using one. I had to use one for the infinities I had before the focals. But when I installed the focals, they fit fine, without a spacer.
This is what has thrown me. I just am having a hard time understanding this statement so I did a little checking...

Mounting depth of the following speakers:

Focal K2 - 2.8 in.
Infinity Ref - 1.31 in
infinity Kappas - 2.187 in
Infinity Perfect - 2.625 in

The KP's have the deepest mount out of all of these speakers. Why you would need a spacer for the Infinities and not the KP's is hard for me to understand?? Maybe the magnet structure is a little different and allows he window to roll down without hitting the speaker?

Not to be harping on this, but I am going to attempt an install of polyglass comps this weekend and not having to use spacers will make my install completely different. (easier) I guess I will try and do my install without using spacers first and see if I can get it to work. (Polyglass mounting is almost the same mounting depth as k2 BTW)
Old 06-27-2004, 07:22 AM
done12many2

Just for fun, while installing my front door speakers, I tried my Focal Access 165 A's in the front door just to see and even they needed a spacer to clear the window. Then I put my Focal Power 165 K2P's, which has a much bigger magnet, in there and knew that there was a lot of work to do The K2P's required the cutting of some of the metal in the door and the creation of a whole new baffle. The end results turned out better than I could have imagined. I have a Zapco Reference 1000 running around 250-300 watts (Zapco is extremely conservative on power ratings) to each door and the K2P's are loving it.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:40 AM
mumra

Originally posted by done12many2
Just for fun, while installing my front door speakers, I tried my Focal Access 165 A's in the front door just to see and even they needed a spacer to clear the window. Then I put my Focal Power 165 K2P's, which has a much bigger magnet, in there and knew that there was a lot of work to do The K2P's required the cutting of some of the metal in the door and the creation of a whole new baffle. The end results turned out better than I could have imagined. I have a Zapco Reference 1000 running around 250-300 watts (Zapco is extremely conservative on power ratings) to each door and the K2P's are loving it.

Just to clarify that K2P's and KP's are not the same speaker. K2P's are a much bigger speaker.

After playing around with the polyglass speakers I bought, I noticed that they "almost" fit without a spacer. They ended up hitting the window when it was down. I looked at the two blueprint drawings on focal's website and noticed the speaker designs were almost identical except the polyglass was about one or two millimeters smaller on almost all measurements. The only way the KP's may fit over the polyglass is the magnet looks like it cut in deeper than the polyglass. Other than that, I cant figure out why it would fit....
Old 06-27-2004, 08:41 AM
mumra

Originally posted by done12many2
Just for fun, while installing my front door speakers, I tried my Focal Access 165 A's in the front door just to see and even they needed a spacer to clear the window.
So did the access line fit??
Old 06-27-2004, 10:49 AM
done12many2

Originally posted by mumra
So did the access line fit??
No they did not. They would have required a spacer as well. I never intended on actually using them there, but thought I would try to let other users know if they would work. My Access components are in the rear with the tweeter located in the front doors. The K2P's are in the doors with the tweeter in the pillar facing into the windshield. I got this idea from another forum member and he was right on the money! The sound stage is right in front of you. Even when the music transitions from the left to the right or vice versa, the sound never pulls down to the doors. It is really unbelievable how it sounds.