Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Where to put my focal crossovers!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 04:03 PM
ss350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to put my focal crossovers!

hey guys give me some ideas about where I can put my crossovers for my Focal 165 KP's. I'm not really comfortable with putting them in the doors. I already have my amps in my glove box, so they won't fit in there. I also want to try to make as accesible as possible.

Thanx
Old 06-17-2004, 07:08 PM
Darren

What about behind passenger kick panel. As for the driver's side, maybe there is enough room under the driver's side lower dash panel. Let me know if you have success trying these locations.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:08 PM
ss350

i dont think they'll fit in the kickpanels... I have the kick panels off and I think the crossovers r too thick. I think im going to squeeze them in the glove box.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:30 PM
JasZ

ss350,

I have focal k2p and I am planning on either putting them in the door or in the kick panels. I am having a hell of a time getting the 6.5" speakers to mount in the stock location. How did you get your's in there if that's where you put them? I'll try to help with the crossover thing as soon as I get to do mine.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 06-19-2004, 09:52 AM
mumra

Originally posted by JasZ
ss350,

I have focal k2p and I am planning on either putting them in the door or in the kick panels. I am having a hell of a time getting the 6.5" speakers to mount in the stock location. How did you get your's in there if that's where you put them? I'll try to help with the crossover thing as soon as I get to do mine.

Thanks,
Jason
You'll have to build Some MDF wood spacers to make them fit right.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:54 AM
mumra

I know they will fit in the doors but a few people dont like to put them there. I have never had problems w/x overs in the door myself.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:00 AM
JasZ

mumra,

Thanks for the help. I made some spacers out of PVC piping. Is that good enough or is there some reason that I would need to make them out of MDF?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 06-20-2004, 10:48 AM
mumra

Originally posted by JasZ
mumra,

Thanks for the help. I made some spacers out of PVC piping. Is that good enough or is there some reason that I would need to make them out of MDF?

Thanks,
Jason
I guess that is really your call. I'm not really sure how you used the PVC and if it is secure mount? You just want to make sure you have a good mount around the speaker and there are no air gaps around the speaker. Also you want to make sure it will not come lose and start vibrating. I know the PVC could crack and that may not be good.

As to myself, I would just use MDF because I am kind of **** about stuff like that. A majority of car audio sound is usually in how things are installed more so than the components themselves. That’s why you tend to hear this catchphrase in car audio quite often....Its all in the install....
Old 06-20-2004, 03:48 PM
done12many2

How about here? Worked out great for me. The drawback is that you have to run two wires into each door. The advantage is that you can adjust the crossovers as needed without pulling the door off. I had one hell of a time getting the 6.5 inch midbass driver for my 165 K2Ps in the door. The magnets on the Power line are HUGE! A simple "spacer" would not give me the clearance for the magnet and in order to keep it from hitting the window, I had to move the entire driver forward in the door. This involved a little metal cutting, but I ended up with something better than originally planned. The placement just forward of the stock location ended up sounding wonderful. Let me know if you need any help if you decide to go this route as far as the crossovers go.
Attached Thumbnails Where to put my focal crossovers!-dsc00002.jpg  

Last edited by done12many2; 06-20-2004 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:51 PM
JasZ

mumra,

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the air gaps were that important so I'll cover them with dynamat. I can't believe I finally got those bad boys to fit.

BTW, I managed to puncture the surround on one of my K2P speakers and I sealed it with silicone, but I was wondering if there is a more solid solution to repairing those butyl rubber surrounds. I couldn't find a kit online anywhere for those speakers in particular HELP if you can??

Thanks,
Jason
Old 06-20-2004, 05:45 PM
mumra

I don’t know of anything that you can buy specifically for those speakers. You may be able to take them to a local stereo shop and have them repair them for you.

Not to rub it in but I'll bet that really pissed you off when you slipped with the screwdriver. I get so worried about screwing the speakers down for that exact reason. Hope you get them fixed.

Last edited by mumra; 06-20-2004 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:49 PM
JasZ

Thanks. I was a little pissed, but thankfull it was just the surround. The silicone is dry now and I think I used a good amount for a thin decent seal. I just hope it doesn't affect the sound too much, but I doubt it will.

Thanks again for the help.

-Jason
Old 06-22-2004, 10:21 PM
chaparro78

I put everything in the doors. I have the 165KPs and they fit fine, no problem
Attached Thumbnails Where to put my focal crossovers!-focal1.jpg  
Old 06-23-2004, 02:42 AM
mumra

chaparro,

It looks like you didnt even use a spacer? Did those fit without using one? K2P's have a very deep mounting depth for car speakers...
Old 06-24-2004, 05:08 PM
ss350

bump
chaparro same question as ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 06-25-2004, 03:30 AM
chaparro78

No, no spacer. Thats why I thought it was odd that people were talking about using one. I had to use one for the infinities I had before the focals. But when I installed the focals, they fit fine, without a spacer. Only modifications were on the tweets. Since I have the TN-51s (Utopia tweets) we had to make room for them
Attached Thumbnails Where to put my focal crossovers!-100_0095.jpg  
Old 06-25-2004, 03:30 AM
chaparro78

see the difference
Attached Thumbnails Where to put my focal crossovers!-100_0105.jpg  
Old 06-25-2004, 06:00 AM
JasZ

You did a good job filing those tweeter holes out. I used a hole cutter on my drill and it came out to a smooth cut, but went into the curves at the edge of the plastic and I used some desk wire grommits to hold the tweeters and provide a surround. I am looking for a rubber surround for the tweeters that will fold down over the curves of the plastic trim piece.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:06 PM
ss350

Chaparro I dont know how your KP's fit without a spacer. I just installed mine and not only had to use a 3/4 inch mdf spacer, but I also had to mount the speaker off-center in the existing hole. They fit great now. And i flush mounted the tweeters. I'm going to post the pics on a new thread with my whole install.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:08 PM
chaparro78

Originally posted by ss350
Chaparro I dont know how your KP's fit without a spacer. I just installed mine and not only had to use a 3/4 inch mdf spacer, but I also had to mount the speaker off-center in the existing hole. They fit great now. And i flush mounted the tweeters. I'm going to post the pics on a new thread with my whole install.
??wow?? unless Z's are made different I have witnessed KPs installed on 2 Zs, one being mine, without spacers

Quick Reply: Where to put my focal crossovers!