Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

ANyone else with a JL amp having their "thermal" light come on during this summerHEAT

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 09:59 AM
sicilianoNYC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANyone else with a JL amp having their "thermal" light come on during this summerHEAT

My JL 300/2 amp is located in my glovebox behind the passenger seat, and the amp is great and the sound quality of course is AMAZING compared to anything else ive ever heard, only problem is ever since maybe Mid May when it started to get aorund 90-95 here for the high everyday, i noticed that after playing it real hard for about 45 mins-1hour (if i even am on a drive that long), the red thermal light comes on, but i dont hear any difference in sound quality, yet when this happens i usually turn the amp down to prevent any other damage that could occur. I even leave the glove box door cracked open a couple inches and though it seems to help, after an hour of playing it loud as hell the amp still has the thermal light come on. My plan is to get hifibuuys to install 2 80mm cooling fans into the glovebox door (in a nice fashion) where 1 pushes air in from the outside and the other pulls the hot air out from that compartment.......you guys think this will do the trick?, anyone else having heat problems with their amps?
Old 07-11-2004, 11:41 AM
MIAPLAYA

You would be the first person I have ever heard of having the thermal light come on. And I'm originally from Florida. It must be WICKED hot up there. Yeah if its getting that bad maybe its time for a couple 4" cooling fans. That should take care of it.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:11 PM
sicilianoNYC

does anyone else live in the south and run their jl amp loud as hell for over an hour and have their thermal light come on, im not saying my amp cuts off.
just that the light comes on
Old 07-11-2004, 04:25 PM
stu46

You're playing your stereo too loud. I don't think the fans will help out at all. Just turn down the bass. If you want more bass, buy a bigger amp and sub(s). If you continue, you will break your sub.

Don't ask how I know though.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:10 PM
sicilianoNYC

im not playing subs, im playing infinity perfect components and i know im playing it loud, but ive heard peoiple play their stuff just as loud without problems.....
Originally posted by stu46
You're playing your stereo too loud. I don't think the fans will help out at all. Just turn down the bass. If you want more bass, buy a bigger amp and sub(s). If you continue, you will break your sub.

Don't ask how I know though.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:16 PM
sicilianoNYC

for instance i have the gain on the amp turned up to about 60% from 0, and the loudest i ever play my cda-9835 alpine head unit is 23-24 out of 35.........would i be better off turning the amp gain down a lil and turning up the head unit louder to make up for the gain turndown?
Old 07-11-2004, 06:55 PM
SIX

I have the same setup here in Texas. I have the JL 500/1 in the glove box as well; and play it hard. I have spoken to My dealer on the AMP heating question and he tells me that the JL produts have a very high resistance to overheating. Do you have a cap installed? My thermal light has not come on and I'm pushing 2 JL10 subs. I would check all connections and ensure proper grounding. When u play it loud turn your dome light on and if it flikers when it kicks u may need a Cap.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:00 PM
sicilianoNYC

i dont think a capacitor would help the heating problem, and the other thing is ....the 300/2 amp is a class AB amp compared to your 500/1 class D amp, by nature class AB amps get much hotter than class D amps...so thereofre your 500/1 amp wont overheat as easily as my 300/2 in the same space
Old 07-11-2004, 07:58 PM
stu46

Sorry, didn't see your sig. You do have the gain pretty high. Try this. Turn your gain down to 0, your stereo up to 30. Adjust your gain to where when you play your stereo at 30, it's just as loud as 23.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:59 PM
bastard

That wouldn't make a difference. The same power would still have to flow through the amp to make the same loudness. Install some fans and don't play it so loud.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:06 PM
sicilianoNYC

anyone else got input/ideas?
Old 07-12-2004, 07:41 PM
mofoz

Add a fan with slits on the glove box and have it blowing in. Should help your temps alot, especially if you have the AC on.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:15 PM
quangquoclu

the fan is not going to work... its something else.. dont know what though... i had one JL 300/2, one 300/4, and one 500/1... listened to my music loud from houston to san antonio about a 3.5 hour drive and never was the thermo light coming on... i placed the amps in the glove box by the way... i think its with your wiring
Old 07-12-2004, 10:16 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just replied to your pm siciliano. Other than what i already said - I have my gain just around 25%.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:36 AM
sicilianoNYC

quangquoclu , were the amps hot to the touch tho when you took that trip? what with the wiring could it be?
Old 07-13-2004, 06:21 AM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

I've been seeing a lot of JL amps recently having their thermal lights come on. Most recently a friend at a car show on Saturday has his amp displayed in the trunk and the thermal protection turned off the amp several times. Keep in mind the trunk was open the whole day so airflow was not a problem.

I also know the wiring was done correctly because I did it.

Check to make sure your gains are set correctly and just realize that JL amps are very compact and overheating is going to be a part of owning one.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:40 PM
sicilianoNYC

Yeah i am going to use the OFFICIAL JL audio way to tune the input sensitivity control, because i think i may be turning that dial up too high...i put it down to 30% of full n noticed it doesnt get so hor now, but dunno if thats a permanent fix....
Old 07-14-2004, 12:41 PM
Go Speed Ricer

Installing 2 fans in the glove compartment will make a world of a difference. Placement is key.. I configured mine to have one located on top of the amp facing the heat sinks to circulate air around the heat sink so the heat can efficiently be transferred to the ambient air. Then a fan forcing the heated air to the cabin but make sure to make an inlet hole to equalize the air being sucked out by the efan sucking it out of the glove compartment. I play my system at 93 percent volume and never had a problem again. I play it LOUD, I come out of my car with ringing in my ear.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:08 PM
MSGarrett1

I have a JL 500/5 installed in the area behind the driver's seat, with the plastic cover over it. I live in California; highs have been in the low to mid 90's lately, but have had no problem with overheating the amp.

My recommendation is this--set the gains properly, and you can minimize the thermal effects on the amp, regardless of how loud you listen to your music. In other words, pick a relatively quiet playing CD, play it and turn your amp gains all the way down. Then, set the volume on your headunit to it's maximum setting. Then, slowly turn up the gains on your amp, until you get sound distortion (VERY LOUD, but the key is to hear the distortion). If you have properly matched your speaker components and amp, the sound will be as loud as you like to listen to it, but without distortion. If you start to hear distortion, but want the music even louder, get a better/more powerful amp.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:43 PM
sicilianoNYC

i just got my fans installed but i have my amp with the leads and the connections facing the fans (oine pulling air in, one pushing air out).....should i rearrange the amp so the heat sink fins are facing the fans directly?