Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

question for those of you with xm

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 03:11 PM
tommym

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question question for those of you with xm

I had my alpine installed with xm, and on a trip to NC the reception sucked! When they installed the antenna, they told me I wouldn't get good reception if the mounted it on the strut bar because of the tinted windows, so they installed in on the center of the dash by the windshield. It seems like most of the time, I was getting no signal, but when I would, it would go out whenever I would go under a bridge. Has anyone else had this problem? I am thinking about having the antenna moved to the top of the car.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:37 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have metallic tint? I don't think regular tint has any effect on the reception. In fact, as long as the antenna isn't under anything metallic it should be fine.

The OEM satellite antenna for the navigation system of the Z is actually mounted UNDER the front dash just above the three gauge pod.

Mine is on the rear strut and my reception is perfect.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:14 PM
tommym

no, it isn't metallic tint. Would you know of anything else that would cause the reception to be so bad? I was following my dad who has xm in his car, and he said the stations were coming in clear for him the whole time. I had it installed at tweeter, and i am wondering if they will charge me to change the location of the antenna.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:11 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

I don't know but if you tell them it isn't working I'm sure they'll change it at no charge.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:34 AM
mgk65

I have mine on the strut bar and do not experience any unusual problems.

It's possible that the antenna is defective, but, ideally, the antenna needs to have a metal backplane, that's why a roof mount is the best solution for reception. It's also possible that the antenna is too close to the wipers and some of the signal is getting blocked. Can you move it back a few inches?

Dr. Bonz, the OEM Sat Radio antenna goes on the roof. The OEM nav GPS antenna goes in the dash.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:03 AM
jpc350z

Default My .02$ worth

My understanding is that xm receives its signal from 2 synchronous satellites (located on the equator)which requires an antenna to have a good view of the southern sky.. A location in the car which provides a clear unobstructed view of south in all orientations of the car should do it.

Sirius on the other hand relies on 3 polar orbiting satellites which essentially pass over head and provide an easier location for receiver/antenna reception.

Last night I installed a sirius and we'll find out tonight if my theory holds water.. I located the antenna also on the brace.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:00 PM
hondagal

I installed XM in my Z this weekend. My antenna (the tiny one with the Roady2) was put inside the rear strut bar.

I had XM in my previous car but had an external antenna and I did not notice a difference in signal with the new antenna and it's placement. I listen on the way to work and know where the spotty areas are.

Sure, you're going to get some dropouts, I did with my external antenna too, but if you're getting crappy reception the first offender would be the antenna placement as you don't have metallic tint.

That's where I'd start too. Give that a try and see if it makes a difference.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:21 PM
tommym

I called, and they told me to bring it in tomorrow. I am thinking about moving to the rear strut bar, as it seems it should work fine there. where it is now, i have more dropouts, and no signal more than I hear music. If I do go for the top of the car option, is it true that it can't be in the center of the roof? I think I have read where you can't put it there.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:52 PM
mgk65

Originally posted by tommym
If I do go for the top of the car option, is it true that it can't be in the center of the roof? I think I have read where you can't put it there.
Not at all. The very best location is on the surface of the car with several inches of roof on all sides. Asthetically, it's up to you.

mgk
Old 08-05-2004, 06:12 AM
Z-Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had mine on the rear strut for a while. No big issues. I twill lose signal under bridges, in thick trees, or while pointing certain directions at the same time I'm on an incline. In all, no worse than normal radio.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:27 AM
tommym

ok, i had it switched to the top of the car. It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. It sits right in front of the nozzle for the rear window. they said I would probably get the same reception if they put it on the rear strut bar. Reception is 100% better...makes me glad I got the HU. I will post pics when I get to my camera....and learn how to post them.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Originally posted by mgk65
I have mine on the strut bar and do not experience any unusual problems.

It's possible that the antenna is defective, but, ideally, the antenna needs to have a metal backplane, that's why a roof mount is the best solution for reception. It's also possible that the antenna is too close to the wipers and some of the signal is getting blocked. Can you move it back a few inches?

Dr. Bonz, the OEM Sat Radio antenna goes on the roof. The OEM nav GPS antenna goes in the dash.
I know, reread my post. That's what I said.