Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Door Spacer Info

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 09:19 AM
kamikaZ
3FIFTYZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Spacer Info

I payed my installer for a set of Boston Acoustics Pro 65 Components...I received the 5.5's instead and they didnt even inform me of this small detail . Anyway I would like to be able to go in there with an understanding of how the spacer can be fabricated/used so that 6.5's can fit and ask that the speakers i was supposed to receive be installed with the use of this spacer. Can anyone offer some input? Thanks

Also how much of a difference do you think there is in output/quality between the 5.5's and 6.5's? thanks again
jarrett
Old 09-24-2004, 09:30 AM
motown

Hm! That sucks. I haven't heard your system personally, so hard to judge what the difference in sound would be. Just generally, you'll have much better mid-bass and low-end from a larger woofer in the door. As far as spacers, I have an old set of 6.4's. All I did was cut the speaker portion out of the stock mounting bracket and mounted my 6.4 woofer into the circular mounting plate you're left with. Looks great, sounds great and my 6.4's fit perfect. And I mean PERFECT. So long as there's no difference in mounting depth, should be an ace fit. Give 'em hell! Good luck!

Last edited by motown; 09-24-2004 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:23 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I cut the stocker up too. The best thing to do would use the stocker as a template then cut that piece out to mount to the door. Then decide how much of a spacer you need and glue that to the part you mounted to the door. So it is a 2 piece thing that lets you use the stock screws and mounting points. Any QUALITY shop can make one easily.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:18 PM
kamikaZ
3FIFTYZ

K thanks for the info guys, do you think its worth goin back and making a fuss over? Most likely I will but its gonna have to wait till I am back in Jersey, along with going back to fix the crappy body work I had done and the half *** nissan service i got no luck with this car at all, and today I went out to find my rear bumper scuffed up by someone in the lot.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:35 PM
dannichols

If you use the stock speaker as a spacer be prepared to do a lot of cutting of plastic with a dremel or other high powered tool. The rear dimensions of certain speakers differ. I know that what I saw on the how-to's did not work exactly the same when I did my 6.5's because mine have a deep back section. Mine would also only take 2 screws into the top of the original bracket and 2 long screws with nuts into the lower half to secore the whole thing. Maybe gluing it would have worked better..maybe not.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:01 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to do alot of cutting and then went ahead and just epoxied the speakers to the stock bracket and used the stock screws to put the stock bracket back on. Worked great, but took some time and I can't really sell the speakers again though.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:09 PM
rotaryrocket7

If you do a search in this forum for door speakers you'll find another method of install, which I used and am pleased with. You can purchase rubber (pretty sturdy) from Home Depot in the plumbing section that matches (or really close) your speaker. Use that as a spacer. I thought about the above method, but if I ever sell the car I need something there, and won't part with the Dynaudio 7's I put in.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:15 PM
kamikaZ
3FIFTYZ

Appreciate all the responses guys thanks a lot. =) I'll see what I can work out, but I hate going back and dealing with these things after the fact, wish i had realized right when they gave my car back.