Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

need help, messed up cig lighter with radar hardwire

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 03:35 PM
photoz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help, messed up cig lighter with radar hardwire

i have a 2004 and I'm trying to hardwire my 8500 radar detector to the fuse box (cig lighter fuse).

right now, I don't have the detector hardwired and now my cig lighter doesn't work (the radar power unit plugged in there tries to light up, I can see a dimmed light, but dies)

What I did so far:
I have the hardwire kit that comes with the 8500 (just a wire with the rj-45 plug on 1 end and a fused hardwire on the other end)

I grounded the black wire to a bolt, no problem there.
I then plugged the 15amp fuse for the cig lighter back in with the hot wire for the detector. turned on the ignition, no dice. so I removed the hot wire from the fuse, checked the fuse (looks fine), replaced the fuse by itself and turned on the ignition, now the car power adapter for the detector doesn't work... I don't have anything else to plug in to see if its the power adapter that is bad or the whole cig lighter.

Can anyone offer any advice? I hope I didn't hurt my baby!
Old 10-03-2004, 04:55 PM
photoz

more info:

I managed to find another car lighter powered source and the outlet is working fine... so the car itself is fine.

I've tried plugging the hotline back in, as far as I can tell, and the radar still no work.

my next test is going to be with a multimeter to see if I have the line actually plugged in. If that is the case, I may have fried my detector somehow?? If not, I'll need to tap the line to something else, cause trying to get the wire in with the fuse in that tight space is a *****. I'm hoping that I was not successful in getting it plugged in, so I didn't fry my 8500.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:22 PM
photoz

final update: (for anyone that finds this via search)

I removed the hardwire from the fusebox (no juice confirmed by multimeter) and re-routed it over to the passenger side cig lighter itself. detached the connecting wire and used radio shack tap-in connectors(red ones) to feed the 12V and the ground wire.

Plugged in the detector, turned the ignition, voila!

My first successful hardwire.

next up: installing the PAC AUX-NIS unit to feed aux in for my new XM Commander and iPod.