Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

custom box

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 10:37 PM
tractng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom box

Guys,

I am thinking of mounting a jl 10w6v2 in a custom made box and place it in the stock location firing upward. Because of the height of the stock location, I am planning to build my box out of mdf, but for the bottom of the box, I want to use fiberglass to give the box more depth. Can a fiberglass be strong enough for this sub?

What about the magnet of the sub being just ¼ - ½ off the base (fiberglass)? Right now I have a sub (infinity perfect 10) using a box similar to this and when I brought the sub out to the hatch for testing, I can see the base of the box move heavily (but does not rattle).

Also, does anybody know the actual measurement of the sub sitting on top of the baffle to highest point of the woofer (rubber like). I know the mounting depth is 6.9.

Tony
Old 10-25-2004, 01:26 AM
OgreDave

Fiberglass can be plenty strong, if done right .. as for the magnet clearance & measurements, you should contact JL. Don't screw around w/coil cooling
Old 10-25-2004, 07:30 AM
dannichols

I don't think you will get much more depth with fiberglass. It will be lighter, but will still need to be at least 1/2" thick. Can you use a ring mounted to the box top to gain 3/4" or is the constraint the area you are mounting it in?
Old 10-25-2004, 07:31 AM
dannichols

I'm basing the 1/2" minimum on using 7 or so layers of thick mat.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:16 PM
tractng

dannichols,

The increase in height will be a problem getting the box inside the location. The box that i have currently is 7.5 high. Then you add the top of the woofer sticking up about 1 high, you will have a hard time fitting through without scrap it.

Tony
Old 10-25-2004, 03:50 PM
rotaryrocket7

fiberglass is about twice as strong as MDF, so 1/2 is easily 1'' of MDF. You probably won't need quite that much. As for fitting, have you considered flush mounting the sub? I would recommend this otherwise you will end up in the position that TractNG is in.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:57 PM
dannichols

I mounted mine under the fake floor in the trunk. Had similar height problems because the area is only 6.5" but was able to raise the sub out with trim rings. I am basing my 7 layers on many sites that specify 7 - 9 layers of mat for a heavy duty fiberglass enclosure. I know my enclosure still flexed when I stood on it with only 5 layers so the extras definitely helped. When I finished, the sides of mine were over 1/2"
Old 10-25-2004, 04:29 PM
tractng

dannichols,

If you ever change your mind about the location of the subwoofer and go with the wheel well, let me know.

I want to do a box there if my stock location doesn't work out. I have most of the hand/machine tools.

I am in the covina area and don't mind driving over there. Never visited Perchanga yet. My mom in law loves that place (hehe).

Tony
Old 10-25-2004, 08:07 PM
dannichols

You got it Tony. I've got a nice pad with a pool over here and Pechanga is about 5 mins away. BTW: I think there is some confuzion. I have both a strut tower box AND a handmade box for the wheel well. I am trying to sell the strut box cuz I like the other better. I am in the process of changing the 10" in the wheel well with a 12"..same box, just modifying the MDF top. My aft end of the box fits over the metal pedestal that the spare normally mounts to and keeps it in place..the front juts up against the forward part of the well. It is an excellent location IMO.