Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 09:30 PM
takissd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking good! is it ready ?
Old 12-02-2006, 09:32 PM
Notion

Keeping the open and closing door while installing the Lilliput was pretty tough, took me about 6 hours of fiddling and careful dremel work, but the work paid off.

You can't get to the Lilliput buttons behind the ledge, so I'm going to have to put in some extenders for the on/off button at least.

Getting some system noise still, managed to ground the mobo to the chassis but still getting some buzz. The power to the PSU is direct from the battery, with the earth running back to it, maybe that long earth is giving me the buzz, I'll try grounding the power supply straight to the chassis to see if it solves it.

Overall the system is working great, doing everything I planned for, so I'm pretty happy with it.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Notion

Originally Posted by takissd
looking good! is it ready ?
Yeah it's usable, I was playing Need for Speed Underground and watched some Hi Def Star Wars in the garage for a bit lol.

Just some fine tuning to do but it's all up and cookin'
Old 12-02-2006, 10:15 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please please please.... Put that thing in a case. At the very least do something with that video card, the vibration is gonna create havoc.

Keep[ your grounds short, long grounds cause magnetic loops.

I don't know about the Lilliput but the Dynamix comes on automatically when it gets a VGA signal. I did make a hole in the bottom finisher for the IR and covered it with some smoked plastic and keep the remote around but never use it and I have never had to push the buttons on the face. If yours works the same way, save your time for building a case.

In case I forgot to post my system install, you can find it here http://www.hypersprite.com/auto/tech-z-007/default.asp I have made changes since then but the big stuff has not changed.

Chris

Last edited by HyperSprite; 12-02-2006 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Notion

The video card is locked in place with a clip on the motherboard, so it should be ok but I guess time will tell. I'm a big fan of caseless, if done properly they can look really great. I have some blue LED's in there now which add quite nicely and I did some work on the wires tidying them up so it looks alright.

Nice case you built there, if I suffer from vibration too much then the clear box might be the way to go, disco ball, mirrored ceiling etc lol

Thanks for the short ground tip, I thought that is what may have been the problem.

Unfortunately the lilliput doesn't seem to come on automatically even when there is a signal running to it which is a bit if a pain in the butt, so every time I get in the car I have to turn it on manually.

Last edited by Notion; 12-02-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:07 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Do you plan to pickup the 03 retractable GPS door?
Old 12-03-2006, 05:12 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

if you find something to hold down the power button, the lilliput will turn on everytime you start your car and turn off when you turn off your car..

I put a metal clip on mine..

--mike

Originally Posted by Notion
The video card is locked in place with a clip on the motherboard, so it should be ok but I guess time will tell. I'm a big fan of caseless, if done properly they can look really great. I have some blue LED's in there now which add quite nicely and I did some work on the wires tidying them up so it looks alright.

Nice case you built there, if I suffer from vibration too much then the clear box might be the way to go, disco ball, mirrored ceiling etc lol

Thanks for the short ground tip, I thought that is what may have been the problem.

Unfortunately the lilliput doesn't seem to come on automatically even when there is a signal running to it which is a bit if a pain in the butt, so every time I get in the car I have to turn it on manually.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:33 AM
Notion

Originally Posted by leemik
if you find something to hold down the power button, the lilliput will turn on everytime you start your car and turn off when you turn off your car..

I put a metal clip on mine..

--mike
Nice Mike, that's exactly what I needed to know, I'll try it
Old 12-03-2006, 12:10 PM
sumfknguy

do you all know if they have some sort of PCMCIA adapter that can be connected to these MB's? I have a Verizon Wireless Broadband card with unlimited internet that would be sweet to hook up in one of these setups.. This way I am connected at all times..

any thoughts?
Old 12-03-2006, 12:20 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist
Premier Member

I searched google, came up with some interesting options (don't know how well they work)

USB to PCMCIA - http://sewelldirect.com/usb-to-pcmci...ss-adapter.asp

PCI to PCMCIA - http://sewelldirect.com/PCItoPCMCIA.asp

Another site with PCI to PCMCIA - http://www.nextag.com/adapter-card-p...ia/search-html

Chris
Old 12-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Notion

Well after wasting a day trying to suppress engine noise it seems that I really am going to have to get some sort of case so I can ground every component on the computer - it's noisy as all flip!!
Old 12-03-2006, 07:17 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sumfknguy
do you all know if they have some sort of PCMCIA adapter that can be connected to these MB's? I have a Verizon Wireless Broadband card with unlimited internet that would be sweet to hook up in one of these setups.. This way I am connected at all times..

any thoughts?
don't bother.. do what I did.. buy a 3G router.. they are affordable now and actually faster than running that stupid dialup software that comes with yoru EV-DO card..:

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/231848-i-am-now-a-rolling-hot-spot.html
Old 12-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Sisith

I did my own carputer setup and I got my lilliput to auto turn on and off with the carputer. Goto mp3car forums and search for "lilliput power on" and you will find some posts about codes you have to enter in your lilliput to change its power on/off modes.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:56 PM
sumfknguy

Originally Posted by leemik
don't bother.. do what I did.. buy a 3G router.. they are affordable now and actually faster than running that stupid dialup software that comes with yoru EV-DO card..:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231848

lol, love it! I had no idea they made those routers like that! Def gonna be in my ride... My company pays for my Verizon card as well..

I mean, imagine the possiblities with this? I could connect my carPC to a UTEC, hyperterminal into it, and the allow remote assistance to someone else, and have them tune my car for me.. all over the internet from the comfort of their own home..

ok. I'll shut up now...
Old 12-03-2006, 10:06 PM
gt3

Thanks for showing us the video blog...really like what you have got it. Keep us updated and good luck on the rest of the install!
Old 12-04-2006, 07:15 AM
Notion

Question for Hypersprite,

Hey Chris, I love the work you did on your lexan computer case, but from the pictures it didn't look like you had a grounding chassis in there - do you not get noise from the hard drive or other computer system noise coming across on the audio?

I have the factory Bose premium system with the sub behind the drivers seat and definately nbotice noise from hard drive activity coming across. I've managed to kill most of the noise from that by grounding components to the chassis under the tray in that compartment.

I'm also getting the classic engine whine, I assume a good in-line suppressor on the power-in from the battery, prior to the M2-atx will take care of that. (My power line runs directly from the battery).
Old 12-04-2006, 07:33 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist
Premier Member

My case is groundless but all the components in it are grounded. My plan if I had noise was to add a "grounding kit" (a bunch of little wires) to the mobo and component standoffs and run them to ground.

When I first installed my system I got a motor buz but it was from my amp and not the computer. I redoubled my grounding efforts and added a cap and it went away. None of my system is stock anymore though.

I don't have any other noise suppressors at this point.

Chris
Old 12-04-2006, 10:36 AM
sumfknguy

ok... I know this takes the fun (if you think its fun) out of building the system from ground up, but has anyone seen or heard of this?

http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/it.A/id...8&category=101

If so, any pros or cons? It looks like it has everything you need as far as the main system would be concerned..

any ideas?
Old 12-04-2006, 02:13 PM
Mikey-Z

i think the earlier lilli's didn't have auto-on codes. see the hard wire instructions on mp3car.com

nice setup btw. i went completely caseless just like yours as well with no problems.

Few tricks i did on mine:

if you're not using the stock bose location, you can move that glove box in the driver's side and use the stock bose vented panel as the cover, most of the mounting holes match up. a spare glove box can be had for approx 100-130 if you need to replace the one that you took from the passenger side.

poke a hole through the hidden compartment tray for the vid card's bracket to fit through, then bend it on the other side to 'lock' it in place. this will provide a more secure fit since you're locking it on both sides (on your mobo and on the tray). you can do this for PCI cards too, but the lack of a mobo lock would make it risk for popping out on one side)

Mount the PSU upside down to maximize the space and secure it with screws and washers. if you really want to, you can use a bit of superglue to keep the screws in place.

take a cheap case and snag the hard drive mounts from it, and screw it into the glove box with washers. you can do this for all of your tiny components to keep everything centralized. My glove box has my full atx mobo, psu, dblocks, line drivers, etc.

Last edited by Mikey-Z; 12-04-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Mikey-Z

Originally Posted by Mikey-Z
Mount the PSU upside down to maximize the space and secure it with screws and washers. if you really want to, you can use a bit of superglue to keep the screws in place.
Sorry, I didn't explain that correctly. I meant mount it on the 'ceiling' of the glove box so it's inverted. I guess you can also mount it on the walls of the glove box if you like that better.

I used the same technique on an amp i mounted on the passenger side; I was able to fit a slim ps2 and inverter (although i hid the inverter behind the glove box).

Quick Reply: The 350z 'Notion' Project - Car Computer