Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

The 350z 'Notion' Project - Car Computer

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:53 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, two things, in answer to 2 different people:

1. Only the more powerful PCI-x cards (like a 7600 or a 7800) have an additional power connector. My 7300 draws all it's power from the bus.

2. I went with an M-Audio Firewire Audiophile. It's an external sound card (not really a card) that is connected by the Firewire connection (IEEE-1394) The reason I went with this is that internal soundcards were picking up too much noise from the rest of the computer, whreas the external ones were somehwat seperated. The M-Audio is one of the few, high end, firewire connection, bus powered external soundcards. It draws all of its power from the firewire connection, has a very high transmission rate, and is not sharing the USB bus with the various other USB devices I have connected. And, it sounds really great as well.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:54 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Oh, and I missed this before, but for Z1Truth, that Logic Supply board, as jjaujou said, only has a x1 PCI-x connector. That won't work for a video card!
Old 04-24-2007, 08:01 AM
jjaujou

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
1. Only the more powerful PCI-x cards (like a 7600 or a 7800) have an additional power connector. My 7300 draws all it's power from the bus.

Sorry, got lost in my happy little DX10 world there for a second!
Old 08-13-2007, 07:50 PM
kvp35

Did you leave the front on the Lilliput screen or did you just mount the raw screen? Also how/where did you position your buttons? I have a 7" Lilliput touchscreen that I wanted to put in but I dont have the front housing (as I used it when I molded to the dash kit of my RSX). Digitalworldwide.com has been out of stock with the empty housing cases and Im going nuts. I want to start the project!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:12 AM
Notion

I left the screen housing on and used a dremmel to cut a hole in the regular storage compartment and then mounted the screen behind that flush - I didn't use the factory cover that the stock gps screen uses.

The buttons are not accessable, but I don't need them myself so not a biggy - I did have to wedge the power button down though as my version of the screen doesn't have the auto-on-power option.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:26 AM
Notion

It's been a while since I updated this thread but I have continued to do upgrades to the computer's interface and a few components.

I now use a skin available from the mp3car.com forums called Digital FX, it's amazing with many great features including speed sensing volume control via the gps unit and car movement video safety switch (good if a cop gives you any hassle, you can show the video wont work if the car is in motion).

USB based wireless A/B/G dongle replaced the PCi one that kept popping out and crashing the machine - great for hooking up to my home network when in the garage for maintenance.

TightVNC remote desktop - perfect for working on upgrades. Just turn on the car computer, let it connect to the wireless network then go to my main computer in the house, pull up the car-computer desktop on my main computer's monitor and work directly on it there with a proper keyboard, mouse, internet connection etc.

USB EVDO Rev A. wireless dongle from Sprint. 1mb up and down auto connects to the Sprint data network giving me an internet connection everywhere I go - perfect for streaming content from my Orb server...

Orb streaming server at home - delivers all of your media through a web based interface in a stream format of your choosing and transcodes the orginal material on the fly to match the bandwidth of device you are watching it on. This means I can watch any of my videos, music, movies, live TV, recorded TV (I can even schedule recordings through the web interface) on any device with a web connection and a browser. So, yep you guessed it I can stream 1.5TB of content all over the Sprint dongle direct to the car via the Firefox browser built in to the Digital FX skin - heck I can even access that all on my Treo phone.

I'll try and put together another video when I have time.

Joel

Last edited by Notion; 08-14-2007 at 07:41 AM.