Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

The 350z 'Notion' Project - Car Computer

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Notion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 350z 'Notion' Project - Car Computer (Video Blog)

Google Video Blog: Part 1 - Test Bed Feature Guide (16mins:06secs)

Google Video Blog: Part 2 - System finished & installed (17mins:13secs)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...26551372114370

Hi Guys,

First I just have to say - WOW! The 350z is a car PC installers dream. All those handy dandy compartments behind the seats to place your rig in, the flip-up center console area to drop in a touch screen with a faceplate that acts as a sunshade - I think I'm in love

The Car PC system - oh yeah you need one!!!
This will be my second car computer system, my first was a real duct-tape and sticks job built into my s2000 a few years back. I learned all of the tricks over at http://www.mp3car.com, it's a great community with everything you could want to know about DIY car computer and entertainment systems.

Maximum Functionality doesn't need to mean maximum cashola
The goals for this build are going to be more complex than my previous attempts but hey that's what makes it fun right? I'm going to focus on keeping the cost down while not sacrificing any of the functionality that you would expect from a premium system. Car PC's are a great way to show that even on a minimal budget you can blow the socks off anything you can buy off the shelf at virtually any price point (plus you get the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing you did it yourself).

Car Computer functionality requirements
  • Simple Touch screen functionality
  • The ability to watch Hi Def Movies (DVD's are soooo last month )
  • Store, play and organize a large music library
  • Store, play and organize a large video library
  • Store, play and organize a large photo library
  • Provide high quality GPS functionality
  • Provide impressive fun gaming options (passengers only )
  • Support for on-board cameras
  • WiFi support for syncing to your home network
  • Wireless internet access
  • Weather Reports
  • Easy expandibility for options such as XM Radio, Car information/diagnostics/engine management, USB powered nasal hair trimming etc.
  • Intelligent power management linked to the ignition system and battery health

Hardware - The Cost So far: $632
Software
  • Windows XP Pro with Windows Media Center patched in.
  • RoadRunner Car PC software
  • GameEx game console software
  • Google Earth Pro with GPS support

Car Hacks

The Install Pics

Removed the whole center console

The center console with storage area removed and Lilliput 7" screen. You can see the audio cables coming out of the stock head unit where I did the AUX-In mod.

Rove the flip up door of the storage compartment

Lots of very very careful dremmel work to get the facia off the storage unit.

The facia with the lilliput screen pressed up against it for a fit check, then glue gunned into place

Screen now attached to the facia

Some barbaric modding to the lilliput case to allow the flip up door to freely move.

Flip up door in place with springs set properly so the door will lift on it's own

Door and facia with screen fitted and door lifting properly

Screen and faia bolted back into the center console

Screen in place

Slide the whole console with screen back into the dash, being careful to route the cables properly

All in nice and tight

I routed power directly from the battery to the storage unit behind the passenger seat. I also routed some USB extension cables to various parts of the car to allow for future additions. The cable in this picture puts a neon blue glowing USB port just up under the dash in the passenger footwell ready to receive a GPS unit later.

All the various cables routed through the car along the center console and under the carpet edge of the doorsill on the passenger side. No cutting is required to get the cables from these areas into the area under the tray in the storage compartment.

First power supply, m2-ATX installed under the the tray area. In the end I had to use an inverter as my rig just needed way more juice than the M2-ATX could handle.

Holes dremmelled in the side lips of the tray allow for all the cables to be brought in pretty clean.

160gb hard drive mounted on springs on the side wall of the bay. I mounted it on it's side so that up and down shocks from the road were less likely to make the drive heads hit and damage the drive plates and data.

The motherboard installed and ready to fire up

Notion
Attached Thumbnails The 350z 'Notion' Project - Car Computer-test-bed.jpg  

Last edited by Notion; 12-16-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Mrpeepers

Thanks dude you did all my homework for me. Let me know if the carputer works good
Old 11-22-2006, 03:09 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty sweet. I did get started on one with a uATX and Celeron M platform. The Intel SATA interface was terrible because I had trouble getting it to detect my CF card adapter in the SATA port.

So, I'm tossing that board out and will try to get the Albatron mini-ITX board for AMD64 processors.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Notion

Originally Posted by djtonium
I had trouble getting it to detect my CF card adapter in the SATA port.

So, I'm tossing that board out and will try to get the Albatron mini-ITX board for AMD64 processors.
I gave up altogether with all the assing around involved in trying to get a CF to act properly as a boot drive. In the end it would have cost me close to $100 just to have a 2gb card that isn't even as fast as a laptop HD so I decided to take my chances with the 250gb and just put some shock absorbtion around it.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:40 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can I find this for $30?

Slim Slot load DVD±R/±RW/+RDL/RAM Multi Drive - $30

I have not needed a CD/DVD drive but it would be a nice to have and 30 seems cheep enough to get.

Chris
Old 11-23-2006, 08:47 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

keeping costs down? Google Earth Pro is $400/year lol

I think you'd be more happy with a solution like iGuidance 3.0 for $99/forever..

It's a little more carPC friendly than Google Earth Pro too..

You seem to be missing a GPS receiver from your list too.. I recommend the GlobalSat BU-353
Old 11-23-2006, 08:49 AM
Notion

I got mine of craigs list.

Hunting around the web and not always having to buy brand new really brings the costs down a hell of a lot, after all, most of this stuff is just generic computer hardware.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:09 AM
Notion

Originally Posted by leemik
keeping costs down? Google Earth Pro is $400/year lol

I think you'd be more happy with a solution like iGuidance 3.0 for $99/forever..

It's a little more carPC friendly than Google Earth Pro too..

You seem to be missing a GPS receiver from your list too.. I recommend the GlobalSat BU-353
Lol - no more Root Beer for you Leemik, I listed the receiver second from the bottom on the hardware list.

Google Earth Pro with GPS support is $20 one off payment. The business/corporate version is $400.

Yep I'm still weighing up the different GPS solutions, but once you've seen Google earth do a 3D route flyby of your trip with the topography function activated and images on high detail - everything else seems way less fun he he he.

I think StreetDeck is now incorporating Google Earth 3D mapping into it's GPS functionality so I may think about that. StreetDeck looks like a pretty comprehensive package, also Centrafuse has a pretty nice interface but it's GPS system is base on Destinator which just doesn't have that 'WOW' factor.

If I were building this for completely practical reasons then I'd just pick a standard GPS solution, but this project is as much about the fun as the functionality - hell if I were going to be practical I certainly wouldn't own a Z Roadster, never mind be buidling a PC system to go in it I'll definately check out that GlobalSat though - thanks for the tip.

Last edited by Notion; 11-23-2006 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:15 PM
Notion

Uhh I just realized this thread should be in Audio/Video Electronics.

If a mod could move it over I'd appreciate it, thanks
Old 11-24-2006, 12:40 PM
Grommit

Where is the link to "Run VGA, Audio, PC Reset and small keypad cables from the storage compartment to the center console."

Looks good. Can't wait to get my pc installed.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:04 PM
TurboTrey

Where are you going to put the printer?
Old 11-26-2006, 03:44 PM
UrbanTacticZ

i had no idea that you could use google earth for gps positioning, i'm using iguidance right now.

any more info on how to use google? and do you need an internet connection to use it?
Old 11-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Notion

Hi guys, here's a quick update...

Haven't worked out where to put the printer yet rofl

I'm using Google Earth Beta 4.0 which has a $20 upgrade option to include GPS receiver support. I've combined GE 4.0 with a free on-screen keyboard application called 'click-n-type' which works out pretty good for inputting text into the program. Obviously there are better integrated GPS options through setups like StreetDeck or CentraFuse, but I really like what Google Earth is doing visually and I want to use Windows Media Center for my main interface, just a personal preference.

Also check out 'Goops' for GE 4.0, a server based tracking system that allows you to see all of your GPS enabled Goops's buddies in real time on Google Earth - pretty fun stuff.

I'm going to try and make a video tonight of the test bed running to show how it's coming along.

Notion
Old 11-26-2006, 06:43 PM
UrbanTacticZ

so the GE4.0 doesn't need an internet connection for mapping? im a little confused on that part because if i remmeber correctly, conventional GE needs an inet connection.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:45 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
Where can I find this for $30?

Slim Slot load DVD±R/±RW/+RDL/RAM Multi Drive - $30

I have not needed a CD/DVD drive but it would be a nice to have and 30 seems cheep enough to get.

Chris
$30.00 is a pretty low price. if you check www.meritline.com their prices are quite fair on their slotload drives. great customer service too
Old 11-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Scarab440

this is a great project!

Do you have an aftermarket head unit or are you going to use the stock bose system?

What are you going to use for your wireless internet?

I really like the carnetix 1900 power supply. I use the GlobalSat BU-353 and Iguidance the combo is killer! I used to run MS Street & trips Iguidance is 100x better.

a few pic of my ZPC.. http://www.oosterman.org/350Z

Last edited by Scarab440; 11-26-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Notion

Yep GE 4.0 does require a live internet connection to work and that is something I will have to consider when I get closer to the full installation.

To be honest I'm not going to be using GPS that much so I may just use a Bluetooth connection to my EVDO through my cellphone (Hacked Verizon Dial Up networking via Bluetooth). The dial-up gives me 80k/sec through the EVDO network so that's pretty much good enough for the maps in GE.

The audio will all run through the stock headunit. I have the Bose Premium sound which is pretty good (enough for me) so I just followed Something Fishy's guide on hacking an Aux-In into that unit.

Notion
Old 11-26-2006, 09:25 PM
UrbanTacticZ

i wish ge4 didnt need an active internet connection

i have sprint wireless connection on my cellphone but its not evdo (palm treo 650) so im out of luck. but, i'm more than happy with the bu 353 and iguidance
Old 11-27-2006, 05:39 AM
Notion

Video Blog Part 1 now included in first post (if you feel like listening to me burble on mindlessly for 16 miutes)
Old 11-27-2006, 12:16 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by Notion
Video Blog Part 1 now included in first post (if you feel like listening to me burble on mindlessly for 16 miutes)
cool nice demo. the media center is nice, i might need to give that a shot on my next reinstall.

how fast does your computer bootup? thats a problem that i have with my system currently, it takes about 40 seconds to boot and it's pretty annoying at times especially if you are just in town driving around (not even worth it to bootup) but its also annoying to drive around with no music.

i have a stripped version of windows xp that takes up only ~200mb so that should speed things up significantly.

Quick Reply: The 350z 'Notion' Project - Car Computer