Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

installed Zenclosure's new S-type sub box

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 12:42 PM
first350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by microsteve40
Looks really good Peter! What did you end up going with for mids and highs?

I'm runner Kicker's components in the front and their coaxial's in the rear:

In all, I'm very happy with the system...I think listening to your car tipped me over the edge to buy everything - now my commute is much more bearable!

-Peter

btw: any chance of getting the original photos from the Mt Baker drive?
Old 12-15-2006, 04:18 PM
Bang350z

Originally Posted by 350zspl
priority keeping trunk space

then go with the single square enclosure

switch to a solox 10" 1 each and feed it 2500rms

solox? Anyways, I'll probably just go with the one 10'' since i probably wont have much of choice with whats available. Do you think i will still get some good bass with only one sub?

Check the below link for my amp. Do you think that this will be too much power for one 10'' solobaric l7? I bought this stuff off a friend of mine and its just sitting in my room right now. I havent even heard this stuff yet so im really not even sure how it will sound.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewitem.php?id=3002
Old 12-15-2006, 04:21 PM
Bang350z

Originally Posted by first350
I'm runner Kicker's components in the front and their coaxial's in the rear:

In all, I'm very happy with the system...I think listening to your car tipped me over the edge to buy everything - now my commute is much more bearable!

-Peter

btw: any chance of getting the original photos from the Mt Baker drive?

Where did you get those spacers for the components? Could you post a picture with the door panel back on?
Old 12-16-2006, 07:41 AM
first350

The speaker spacers are from Zenclosure's as well - it really makes the whole install process much easier. you need the spacers for almost every aftermarket speaker to have it clear the windows.

here's a pic with the door panel back on and the OE speaker grill off...but once you put the OE speaker grill back on, it looks 100% stock and sounds 100% better! (the spacer offsets the speaker perfectly - the rear of the speaker clears the winwows, and the front of the speaker doesn't touch the OE speaker grill.

-Peter
Old 12-16-2006, 10:54 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bang350z
solox? Anyways, I'll probably just go with the one 10'' since i probably wont have much of choice with whats available. Do you think i will still get some good bass with only one sub?

Check the below link for my amp. Do you think that this will be too much power for one 10'' solobaric l7? I bought this stuff off a friend of mine and its just sitting in my room right now. I havent even heard this stuff yet so im really not even sure how it will sound.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewitem.php?id=3002

that amp may be a bit to powerful if your not careful

i would now have a problem using that amp on an L7

but you need to pay close attention to gain, volume, and distortion

so if your not well versed then it may to much power for you

this is a solo x 10"

http://www.kicker.com/06/kicker_home.html

2500 watts rms 5000 peak

this 10" solo x will make a lot of noise

and the amp your talking about would not be enough for the solo x

but to answer your question

using the box you like
with a 10" kicker solo x 1 each

and a 2500 to 3000 watt rms amp

you woudl be bangin major beat

but it wil cost you $

just pop in your l7 and use a 800 watt rms amp

or be real careful with the memphis
Old 12-16-2006, 03:06 PM
Bang350z

Originally Posted by 350zspl
that amp may be a bit to powerful if your not careful

i would now have a problem using that amp on an L7

but you need to pay close attention to gain, volume, and distortion

so if your not well versed then it may to much power for you

this is a solo x 10"

http://www.kicker.com/06/kicker_home.html

2500 watts rms 5000 peak

this 10" solo x will make a lot of noise

and the amp your talking about would not be enough for the solo x

but to answer your question

using the box you like
with a 10" kicker solo x 1 each

and a 2500 to 3000 watt rms amp

you woudl be bangin major beat

but it wil cost you $

just pop in your l7 and use a 800 watt rms amp

or be real careful with the memphis

If i cant get an enclosure to hold my two solobaric l7's, im just going to have to use just one of them with my memphis amp. I'll just have to turn the gain down and listen for distortion like you said. If anything does happen... ill have another sub to just put in there anyways but hopefully that wont ever happen. Do you think that that one sub will give me that pounding bass that i want? I listen to mostly rap so that gives you an idea of the kind of bass i like.

Also, if i do just use one of the solobaric l7's, how many ohms do you suggest i wire it to? Mine are the 4 ohm solobarics, what do you suggest i wire it to to prevent it from blowing? Thanks.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:17 AM
first350

If i cant get an enclosure to hold my two solobaric l7's, im just going to have to use just one of them with my memphis amp. I'll just have to turn the gain down and listen for distortion like you said. If anything does happen... ill have another sub to just put in there anyways but hopefully that wont ever happen. Do you think that that one sub will give me that pounding bass that i want? I listen to mostly rap so that gives you an idea of the kind of bass i like.

Also, if i do just use one of the solobaric l7's, how many ohms do you suggest i wire it to? Mine are the 4 ohm solobarics, what do you suggest i wire it to to prevent it from blowing? Thanks.
what are the specs of your amp? The kicker amp I have listed the power output @ a given resistance...so I matched that resistance on the sub.

As for bass - My 10" L5 is plenty for the Z...I've yet to turn it up all the way b/c my ears start to hurt - but I'm not really into blasting music...

-Peter
Old 12-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Bang350z

Originally Posted by first350
The speaker spacers are from Zenclosure's as well - it really makes the whole install process much easier. you need the spacers for almost every aftermarket speaker to have it clear the windows.

here's a pic with the door panel back on and the OE speaker grill off...but once you put the OE speaker grill back on, it looks 100% stock and sounds 100% better! (the spacer offsets the speaker perfectly - the rear of the speaker clears the winwows, and the front of the speaker doesn't touch the OE speaker grill.

-Peter

So that grill fits back on with no problem? is it easy to get that grill on and off? Any fitment problems?
Old 12-17-2006, 10:49 AM
first350

So that grill fits back on with no problem? is it easy to get that grill on and off? Any fitment problems?

there's no fitment issues at all - the grill just pops back on. I had left the grill off b/c I had been trying to drill out the little holes to let more sound out (didn't work too well), but when I was done, I just poped them back in. They have little clips on the back with an alimgnet hook thing...just line it up and push it on.

here's a pic of the back side to the grill (it looks weird b/c I had been drilling it...)

Old 06-23-2007, 03:27 AM
Peak350

I've got a single Mmat's P3.0 with about 800 watts RMS into it (I know, more than spec'd) and I'm rebuilding my box to go ported - but as long as you pay close attention to volumes, and don't use a lot of gain to get volume, you should be ok with 1-10".

I have a lot of people who can't believe its a single 10 - but I followed the recommended box specs and blew it (when I was putting 400 watts in), a few e-mails and box calc's later and I found the issue, decided to upgrade a bit.

Point - its not a big car, your cabin gain is a lot higher than you'll expect, and you can get some SERIOUS volume from a single sub because of that.