Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Install update NEW PICTURES

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 12:50 PM
rotaryrocket7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished doing about the same as Tattoo. I also used an open cell foam, i.e. carpet underlayment, under the ensolite. I used a full roll of raamatt, and a box of dynamat extreme. I did two layers of ensolite under the front floor, after a layer of the open cell (3/8's inch).

The difference is amazing. I'd already done the doors some, but plan on adding a layer of ensolite or two there as well. I'm waiting on the door pods from Nazar.

The whole job took about 30 hours front to back. I spent alot of time getting everything back in, it was a tough fit with all of the open cell foam.

Previously I had to have the radio (Eclispe) at a minimum of 46 on the highway, now I get the same volume at about 38. It's probably even better than I think cause this was the first time I drove the car since last November, so the point of reference is old and forgotten.

Tattoo, Post your results when done, I'm interested to hear what you think! Also, while you have everything apart I'd consider the open cell foam, It does a great job of noise reduction vs. the ensolite which is more of a barrier.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:55 PM
tattoo60012

Originally Posted by rotaryrocket7
I just finished doing about the same as Tattoo. I also used an open cell foam, i.e. carpet underlayment, under the ensolite. I used a full roll of raamatt, and a box of dynamat extreme. I did two layers of ensolite under the front floor, after a layer of the open cell (3/8's inch).

The difference is amazing. I'd already done the doors some, but plan on adding a layer of ensolite or two there as well. I'm waiting on the door pods from Nazar.

The whole job took about 30 hours front to back. I spent alot of time getting everything back in, it was a tough fit with all of the open cell foam.

Previously I had to have the radio (Eclispe) at a minimum of 46 on the highway, now I get the same volume at about 38. It's probably even better than I think cause this was the first time I drove the car since last November, so the point of reference is old and forgotten.

Tattoo, Post your results when done, I'm interested to hear what you think! Also, while you have everything apart I'd consider the open cell foam, It does a great job of noise reduction vs. the ensolite which is more of a barrier.
I'll probably do the open cell also, thanks for the extra work JK although I will probably only do a single layer of the open cell, and cut it well short of any edges just to be safe. I'll definitly post pics of the completed work, as well as the SQ of the new system.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:25 PM
tattoo60012

Originally Posted by twotonetrack
I just Fat-Mat ed the doors this weekend but not near as much as you. You might want to reconsider the sub location. I dismissed all the threads about how the sound quality was horrible from that location and wasted time and money, eventually tearing it out and putting an under strut bar fiberglass box.
I must say I'm on edge right now for what to do about the sub. I actually have another thread going discussing the pro's and con's of 3 different locations. When you did your sub in the stock location, did you build a box, buy the Nazar box, or do a free air in the stock bracket? I've heard from some people that the stock location isn't "that bad" (I know why do I find it necessary to use quotes), but as it's been said a few hundred thousand times everything is subjective.

The big advantage for me putting the sub in another location is then I can put my amps in the stock sub location and I think that would work out better for keeping the stock glove box and not having to make a custom shallow glove box. The understrut is not a good option for me, but I'm thinking about the spare tire well, and the corner in front of the strut. Of course these locations both have significant drawbacks to them as well.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:17 AM
james840a

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tattoo60012
I must say I'm on edge right now for what to do about the sub. I actually have another thread going discussing the pro's and con's of 3 different locations. When you did your sub in the stock location, did you build a box, buy the Nazar box, or do a free air in the stock bracket? I've heard from some people that the stock location isn't "that bad" (I know why do I find it necessary to use quotes), but as it's been said a few hundred thousand times everything is subjective.

The big advantage for me putting the sub in another location is then I can put my amps in the stock sub location and I think that would work out better for keeping the stock glove box and not having to make a custom shallow glove box. The understrut is not a good option for me, but I'm thinking about the spare tire well, and the corner in front of the strut. Of course these locations both have significant drawbacks to them as well.
How about a corner mount in the back? my Type-X 10" fits nicely in the corner box and sounds great.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:04 AM
tattoo60012

Originally Posted by james840a
How about a corner mount in the back? my Type-X 10" fits nicely in the corner box and sounds great.
I thought about that spot but I golf, so that wouldn't work for me. My clubs barely fit in the back already, as it is I need to take my bag off of the cart, and take the long clubs out of the bag in order for everything to fit. I've been considering the spare tire well, but I can't imagine that would sound much better than the stock location.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:39 PM
tattoo60012

Ok, so I gave in. Time became a factor after some unrelated issues arose, and now I have a Zenclosure single 10" coming to speed the install along. So here's where I'm at now.

Door pods: DONE mounted with speakers and tweeters in place ready to go back on the car.
Deadening: 95% done, just finishing up with some extra deadening around the car. (layer of insulating mat between the tire and the false floor, layer of insulating mat under both seats, in the cubby's behind the seats, between the trunk floor and the carpeting) The insulating mat that I'm using is actually made for floating laminate floors, it's supposed to be mold and mildew resistant, but time will tell there.
Amps, crossovers, caps, fuses, distribution block: 50% done building a rack for the stock sub location, will post pictures of the completed assembly.
Wiring: 25% done. I have the power wire from the battery run through the firewall, and back to the stock sub location. I'll be running wires tonight for all the speakers, and the sub as well as hooking everything up to the amps, running the RCA cables to the dash. (I know, I'm backwards)
Then it's just a matter of putting everything back together.

Goal is to be driving with a finished system Saturday night.