Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 12:45 PM
hokie350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the dimensions of the stock NAV LCD screen? just curious
Old 11-06-2002, 01:01 PM
Subw00er

You mentioned having problems with lines. I had this problem when putting in the playstation/converter. I swapped out to a blau dvd-me1 and it went away. I would bet you are having the same problem. I couldnt get that problem to go away with the playstation. I would suggest trying a different dvd source and seeing if hte lines go away. I never figured out if it was the ps2 or the converter because my ps2 works fine in the home..
Old 11-06-2002, 10:13 PM
InternetABYSS

Originally posted by Subw00er
You mentioned having problems with lines. I had this problem when putting in the playstation/converter. I swapped out to a blau dvd-me1 and it went away. I would bet you are having the same problem. I couldnt get that problem to go away with the playstation. I would suggest trying a different dvd source and seeing if hte lines go away. I never figured out if it was the ps2 or the converter because my ps2 works fine in the home..
SO ARE YOU SAYING you got the factory nav to play dvd's??? did you use nav-tv.com???? what did you do to get the rgb composite video if you didnt get the kit from nav-tv.com???

The source isnt the problem....tried many,....my guess is that the nav-tv.com rgb converter was designed for the G35 thin pop up monitor not the maga huge 350z monitor...I think the synch rates are different and thats why there are the lines.

Nav-tv said they just had some dude in Vegas and Oklahoma order parts with the same result as mine....

They are looking to get ahold of a 350z to trouble shott this issue.
Old 11-07-2002, 04:13 AM
Subw00er

I was using a farenhiet screen, not stock dvd screen, but I had the same problem so I thought I'd mention it.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:36 PM
InternetABYSS

thanks....for trying to help...I appreciate it
Old 11-08-2002, 09:10 AM
Bjmnzzzz

Default Great Stereo Shop1

Originally posted by ZZtopp
What stereo shop did you use, and how good were they?? I live in Vegas and I'm leary of letting anyone here touch my Z.
Las Vegas Auto Sound. These guy were outstanding. Very meticulous. Very savvy. Ask for manager Paul.

I love the new7" Microvision. DVD's on this screen are awesome. The sound through FM modulator is mindbending!
Dropped some Michael Jackson tunes in the CD the other day and nearly blew the doors off!

Just past 3000 miles on this ride. Cutting a wide path through the Coachella Valley (Palm Desert). Next week, it's the California coastline north to San Francisco. Life on the road is good.

Z Be Gone!
Old 11-09-2002, 07:12 AM
Zoro

Default Hey

I would agree with subw00er it is more than likely your dc/ac inverter. If you want to find out for sure just hook up your dvd player to your nav. That is if you still have a rgb convertor.
It's the obvious solution.
Old 11-10-2002, 12:59 PM
InternetABYSS

FIXED...ill post pics soon......It was another synch wire that had to be crossed into the already spliced wire....i'll explain later when I post pics of the fix.
Old 11-10-2002, 01:07 PM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Great !

Let me know how satisfied you are with the aftermarket RGB convertor when hooked up to the factory nav lcd and audio over the rf modulator. Please let all of us know the picture quality, and overall sound quality for a dvd source. Also, can you post an update stating all the equipment and models you used to complete this mod (convertors, dvd player, etc).

Thanks and I am very anxious to see the end results !
Old 11-13-2002, 03:19 PM
qirex

Default Looking to install a nav

Hey guys great thread!!

I've got a problem here.

I picked up a 6spd touring last week. I wanted the nav but the model didnt have it but the dealer assured me that they could put it in aftermarket.

Anyhow, now it seems that they may not be able to due to a prob with a wiring harness. The parts guys are still waiting for info from nissan.

Either way, at this point I have some options. I can ***** up and down and AMKE them rip one out of another car, get me a new car OR setup a SICK aftermarket system.

I'm kinda keyed in on the pioneer AVIC DVD90 an dthe kenwood touchscreen model. Basically I dont like the idea of using a remote while driving, so the pioneer seems less enticing, On th other hand, I know about the voice control module an dthe fact that the pioneer lets you PLAY DVDS. I also like the pioneer's 3d drivers view.

The kenwood OTOH has the touchscreen which I'm sure will closely approximate the ease of control found on the stock unit, but the display seems kinda BLAH.

Lastly, how does the stock NAV unit work?

also whats the best/biggest screen I can install in the black hole?

Thanks in advance for the help

Z out!
Old 11-13-2002, 06:37 PM
dragonbz99

cool you live in nj? where? i live in east brunswick and picked up my z last week saturday the stock navi isnt very cool, its just a screen that usees this kind of circle button as a mouse and you press down to click, its not touch screen liek the website says and i think its 6.5 inches but i may be mistaken
Old 11-13-2002, 08:41 PM
qirex

yeah...but i bet it works better than a remote.

unofrtunately, the kenwood touchscreen doesnt let you play dvd movies...and as I said the 3d display is kinda weak.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:06 PM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by InternetABYSS
FIXED...ill post pics soon......It was another synch wire that had to be crossed into the already spliced wire....i'll explain later when I post pics of the fix.
Now that it's fixed (I assume) how good is the resolution of the NAV screen when showing a DVD? Is it as good as an aftermarket monitor?
Old 11-17-2002, 05:16 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Originally posted by ZZtopp
Now that it's fixed (I assume) how good is the resolution of the NAV screen when showing a DVD? Is it as good as an aftermarket monitor?
i have the same kit... its awesome. performance is just like aftermarket screens. its a good mod.

m
Old 11-17-2002, 05:27 PM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by SKiDaZZLe
i have the same kit... its awesome. performance is just like aftermarket screens. its a good mod.

m

Thanks! I'm gonna do it.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:59 AM
TEDT350Z

Default it is good to know that someone out there thinks high tech...

I like your ideas and what you have done...
I got a tv setup too and installed it with a friend on my '91 300zx
All I have to say is that they can be a pain in the a$$ but it is well worth it if you have time and money.
The thing I hate most are all these jealous people out there that come out saying, "you are going to cause an accident watching that thing or that it is too dangerous."
I have had mine for almost two years and I am more distracted by a blond with big hooters walking down the street than watching a Nav/tv while driving...haha.
Anyways, just want to give respect when due, we need more people like you out there to do this "off-the-hook-type-$hit."
I can't wait till I am ready to buy a new car and start another stereo project because there are alot more badass systems in the market than ever before.
And too anyone out there that plans on putting one, you got to know what you are getting yourself into because you can get suckered into dumping alot of money into a system that you won't be satisfied with, so do your homework and if possible do the install yourself so that you learn more about your car and how to solve problems you may or may not encounter, these stereo dealers/intallers will take advantage of you if you let them.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:07 AM
SalTNutz

Any update on this? I am really looking forward to doing this to my G35C.
Old 11-30-2002, 09:43 PM
all_bark

How about some step by step instructions?

I have no nav in my z but want the dvd/tv/ps2 set up. if nav also comes with it, great, if it doesn't, no problem.

I know I need an fm modulator, screen (what size/make is best) dvd player and tv convertor?

I know I do not even come close to knowing what it takes so could some one help a brother out?

I can be emailed, pm'ed or you can post it here.

thanks!
Old 12-01-2002, 03:59 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Possibility.

I am working on a similar solution for myself in coordination with a small company that specialized in RGB convertors, and navigation system upgrades. We are trying to come up with the best aftermarket dvd solution (possibly a ps2) to use with the stock nav. Alot of people who got the touring models do not have the capability of playing dvd movies, which, I htink, is a nice feature, and should be a possibility. However, it looks as though without an upgrade to the stock system the Nissan DVD is not hackable to play dvd movies, so I 've heard--any techies want to rip theirs apart to verify

Anyways, my solution will be simlar to the nav tv option which will interface to the stock nav system. I like the stock nav, because it is so well integrated into the car. It monitors ALOT more than jsut where you are going, and for $2k, it is a nice system. I am not sure what the total cost of the upgrade I am working on will be, but I think it will be a little less than the nav tv option, and should work the same way.

I will post results as soon as I have something together and working properly, but it will be an upgrade to the stock nav and not a new aftermarket system. The Bose system sucks (I think) as far as sound quality goes, so if you care about the stereo, you may be better off to start out with a nice aftermarket nav which will do dvd movies. Make sure you upgrade the speakers and use a nice amp.

Delivered 11-25-02
CS Touring 6MT with NAV, bags, custom earthing kit, mats, etc.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:01 AM
qirex

what else does the stock nav do??

Quick Reply: Nav-tv.com first 350z test pig...me :)