Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Nav-tv.com first 350z test pig...me :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 08:52 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Stock NAV extras...

I have only had my Z for 5 days now, but I can see that the Stock NAV is tied into the ECM, and it has a couple extra features that you may or may not use.

1. Oil Change monitor -- monitors the mileage since your last change, and can be preset to let you know when your change is due, in 50 mile increments.

2. Oil Filter Change monitor -- I change the filter everytime, but for some who do that every other oil change, this can be preset for XXX miles, in 50 mile increments.

3. Tire rotation monitor -- I rotate every 7500-10k miles, but probably sooner with the Z, so I have it preset for 5000 right now, and will check them at that point.

All of these are warnings, and can be turned on, or off, or preset to whatever conditions you want them to be...I guess its a good reminder, especially for the oil changes.

To this point, these are the only extras I have found on the stock nav.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:01 AM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stock NAV extras...

i would not say it is "tied into" the ecu. it is on the CAN system, so it does recieve milage info (which it also needs for regular navigation, since the GPS only updates every 6 seconds.) when you hit the limits that you set on those monitors, it says "PIT REQUIRED" or something on the screen everytime you start the car.

oh yeah.. most people will not be rotating tires since they are directional and staggered. i set mine for about 2000mi so I know to check-up on them also!

m

Originally posted by onecoolee
I have only had my Z for 5 days now, but I can see that the Stock NAV is tied into the ECM, and it has a couple extra features that you may or may not use.

1. Oil Change monitor -- monitors the mileage since your last change, and can be preset to let you know when your change is due, in 50 mile increments.

2. Oil Filter Change monitor -- I change the filter everytime, but for some who do that every other oil change, this can be preset for XXX miles, in 50 mile increments.

3. Tire rotation monitor -- I rotate every 7500-10k miles, but probably sooner with the Z, so I have it preset for 5000 right now, and will check them at that point.

All of these are warnings, and can be turned on, or off, or preset to whatever conditions you want them to be...I guess its a good reminder, especially for the oil changes.

To this point, these are the only extras I have found on the stock nav.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:11 AM
qirex

how many points of interest does the databsase hold?

how long does it take to calculate a route/recalc if you stray??
Old 12-01-2002, 11:39 AM
onecoolee

Default Some more info...

The stock nav holds 50 destinations, or POI's...not too bad. As far as straying from the intended path, it recalculates a new course within 5 seconds. I have nothing bad to say about the stock NAV, I think its a great setup...

As far as tire rotation goes, I learned in here they can't be rotated, but my sales person said they could. I guess that explains why he has only sold one so far (MINE!). Oh well, I will readjust my nav warning gauges and check on the tires more frequently...thanks for the info !
Old 12-01-2002, 01:05 PM
dragonbz99

funny... my sales person said it cannot be rotated since the widths are different
Old 12-01-2002, 01:41 PM
onecoolee

Default Right...

It goes to show you that some Nissan salepeople actually know what they are talking about and trying to sell to you, and some don't...the bottom line is that the front and backs are different sizes and cannot be rotated...
Old 12-02-2002, 03:29 PM
Bjmnzzzz

Default Re: Looking to install a nav

I have the Pioneer AVIC90DVD with 7" Microvision Screen in Factory location and absolutely love it! Voice activation, DVD & Nav, Fabulous Images... what's not to love?

Remote unit comes in handy as well when one gets tired of talking to the ditzy blond held captive in the Nav system.

Originally posted by qirex
Hey guys great thread!!

I've got a problem here.

I picked up a 6spd touring last week. I wanted the nav but the model didnt have it but the dealer assured me that they could put it in aftermarket.

Anyhow, now it seems that they may not be able to due to a prob with a wiring harness. The parts guys are still waiting for info from nissan.

Either way, at this point I have some options. I can ***** up and down and AMKE them rip one out of another car, get me a new car OR setup a SICK aftermarket system.

I'm kinda keyed in on the pioneer AVIC DVD90 an dthe kenwood touchscreen model. Basically I dont like the idea of using a remote while driving, so the pioneer seems less enticing, On th other hand, I know about the voice control module an dthe fact that the pioneer lets you PLAY DVDS. I also like the pioneer's 3d drivers view.

The kenwood OTOH has the touchscreen which I'm sure will closely approximate the ease of control found on the stock unit, but the display seems kinda BLAH.

Lastly, how does the stock NAV unit work?

also whats the best/biggest screen I can install in the black hole?

Thanks in advance for the help

Z out!
Old 12-04-2002, 10:04 PM
InternetABYSS

it is finish......too bad. my clarion dvd player is defective getting a new one sent...then it will be done....SKIDDAZZLE has got his finished and a camera installed too....

THE NAV-TV works awesome.....and DAY and NIGHT settings still work.....very cool.

You can have it on bright for day time movie watching and dim for night time.

anyways...I been watching movies everyday in the car....I'm very spoiled now.......whats a CD anyways.......I buy music videos on dvd.....why not have the music video playing and some good tunes....this mod is very badass.....many people have been very impressed....

IT ROCKS.....pics coming soon when I get my lazy but out in the cold weather with my camera.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:07 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Originally posted by InternetABYSS
it is finish......too bad. my clarion dvd player is defective getting a new one sent...then it will be done....SKIDDAZZLE has got his finished and a camera installed too....

THE NAV-TV works awesome.....and DAY and NIGHT settings still work.....very cool.

You can have it on bright for day time movie watching and dim for night time.

anyways...I been watching movies everyday in the car....I'm very spoiled now.......whats a CD anyways.......I buy music videos on dvd.....why not have the music video playing and some good tunes....this mod is very badass.....many people have been very impressed....

IT ROCKS.....pics coming soon when I get my lazy but out in the cold weather with my camera.
i love the props to the installer of your DVD player...

just wait and see if i do the RF Modulator for you.

m
Old 12-04-2002, 10:26 PM
InternetABYSS

I'm still jealous and alittle pissed you didnt want me to come by and check out the nismo kit.....LOL

j/k

Yes SKID is the man....he saved me some cash and did a bad *** job of installing....

Seriously though.....I didnt say that you installed it so you dont have tons of people begging you to do install work....

but since you let the cat out of the bag......SKID is a great installer and has all the tools you can dream of in his garage. Hes a very nice guy.....but is getting a big head with all the mods on his very unique and freaking amazing daytona blue Z......Go vote for his car on the thread in the general forum .....hes trying to get on the cover of a National magazine.....I personally think he is a shoe in.

He also does custom earthing kits and installs it....very very cool....I am very glad to make him as a friend from this site...

Is that enough *** kissing???? hee hee

Last edited by InternetABYSS; 12-04-2002 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:08 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default Re: Right...

Originally posted by onecoolee
It goes to show you that some Nissan salepeople actually know what they are talking about and trying to sell to you, and some don't...
I couldn't agree with this statement more! The salesperson <pronounced "Prik"> told me that the stock Navigation System would play DVD movies when I was looking to buy my Z. This is one of the main reasons that I opted to get my Z with the nav system installed. After doing all the paperwork and driving home I was so excited to pop in a movie and I'm sure you can all guess what happened next. That's right... nothing. I was Pi$$ed to say the least and called the guy at the the dealer. His response was "Really? Oh, they told me that it did." I still have yet to find out who "they" are. Also I saw a post a little earier asking about the stock nav system and saying that he wanted to get it installed in his Z. This was also something that I was loking into doing originally but I was told by several salesmen that the stock nav system is only available from the factory on the cars and cannot be installed later. Knowing what I know now, I wish that I had not gotten the stock nav system and instead gotten an aftermarket nav/dvd/mp3 setup. Oh well...

-Chris
Old 08-20-2003, 10:27 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Woah, going for a dead thread resurrection record? Last post was 8 months ago.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:57 PM
InternetABYSS

LOL its back to life...hee hee

Yeah I found out the dumb way being one of the first to get the car it is best NOT to get the BOSE system....and NOT to get the factory NAV...

It has cost so much more learning this lesson but then again we all thought back then that factory equipment might be good enough....NOT

Aftermarket is the best thing to do....I got the Touring for the leather seats and the Bose.....Dumb me....I should have gotten the Enthusist or Base and modded everything else. BUT i do have the cool frost interior panels....hee hee ONE PLUS of uniqueness....for my color combo pick.

Last edited by InternetABYSS; 08-21-2003 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:49 AM
WolfMan

Abyss:

I am in the same boat, got the touring with everything, and wish I hadn't. But no biggie, It's still an awsome car bottom line, and fun as hell to drive.

I plan to do somthing similar to this, but with AVelectronics. *shrugs* the LCD is a fine screen, can't really complain, and having the nav updates still sound through the audio is a nice plus.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:23 AM
swoobyz

Originally posted by luciferi
Is the Nissan nav the same as Honda and Toyota, RGB with a composite sync? If so, the Pioneer gex p7000tv will convert composite to RGBcS and do the the video switching. Video-Nav has a black for the 7000tv box so you don't have to splice into your RGB cables or breakout the ir receiver. This saves time, knowledge and money for the diy types.
I went the GEX-P7000TV route myself.
Total cost was around $300 (does NOT include TV antennas or any DVD player).
I have photos and step-by-step instructions on my site:
http://www.swooby.com/z/navpc/
Go to the "GEX-P7000TV" link.

Pv
Old 08-26-2003, 01:12 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

it looks very complicated... nice job though swoobyz!
Old 08-26-2003, 04:38 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Swooby,

That's great work .. looks like you put a lot of time/research into it. As much as a DIY'er I consider myself, some of the electical schematics go way over my head. Ever consider putting together a partially built kit for intermediate DIY'ers like me?

The cabling seems easy enough but the IR/OSD stuff is what discouraged me and i'm sure a few others as well.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:37 AM
AVElec

There is a complete DIY NavTV-Tuner system available at:

http://www.AVElectronic.com

Quick Reply: Nav-tv.com first 350z test pig...me :)