Old 05-02-2007, 07:28 AM
THE TECH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd rock it.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:01 PM
CESAROTORRES

Default Brilliant

As other it will be nice if you can make it to work with out the key on the ignition.

Cesar
Old 05-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Shift_Z33

I never really thought about using the Altima button. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Greg'Z33

Default Current status

Well, I'm still working out how to make the button both "START" & "STOP" the engine; I've got it narrowed down to the position of the clutch switch, i.e. whether it's released or depressed (to start the engine). I think I'm looking at three seperate relays, an IC 7400 series NAND gate and some miscellaneous discreet components to get it to work. If the damned button only said START, I'd be done by now .

Last edited by Greg'Z33; 05-08-2007 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Jeff@WestCovinaNissan
Banned

Great idea! I can hardly wait to see the outcome!
Old 05-07-2007, 10:37 PM
kaybee650

Originally Posted by CESAROTORRES
As other it will be nice if you can make it to work with out the key on the ignition.

Cesar
it is possible to do it without the key in the ignition, but theft would become easier without proper protection.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:44 PM
gregtotheb

thats cool.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:47 PM
michaeljr6

sweet i have one too..except it's keyless
Old 05-07-2007, 10:48 PM
creationv2

Originally Posted by kaybee650
it is possible to do it without the key in the ignition, but theft would become easier without proper protection.
wait....maybe a dumb noob question...but i thought the key had a special chip type thing that the car senses otherwise the car wont start....or are our keys just keys O_O
Old 05-07-2007, 11:03 PM
kaybee650

Originally Posted by creationv2
wait....maybe a dumb noob question...but i thought the key had a special chip type thing that the car senses otherwise the car wont start....or are our keys just keys O_O
okay if you really want to do it without the key in the ignition, I will let you know how people who have autostart alarms do it for their autostart. well what I know from honda's/acura's. they actually cut the key in half leaving the plastic peice and place it inside the casing of the steering column close to the transponder module ... yes seems very stupid to me but people still do it. all the key inside the sterring column does is send the signal to the transponder within the ignition (remember I am talking about acura honda, dont know with nissan. possibly?) I use to own a rsx. and I actually figured out how they stole it. thats a different case.. but back to this topic. sorry to thread jack a little bit.

this issue can be figured out later for people who want to be serious... good luck with your modification , looking foward to seeing results.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:07 PM
creationv2

Originally Posted by kaybee650
okay if you really want to do it without the key in the ignition, I will let you know how people who have autostart alarms do it for their autostart. well what I know from honda's/acura's. they actually cut the key in half leaving the plastic peice and place it inside the casing of the steering column close to the transponder module ... yes seems very stupid to me but people still do it. all the key inside the sterring column does is send the signal to the transponder within the ignition (remember I am talking about acura honda, dont know with nissan. possibly?) I use to own a rsx. and I actually figured out how they stole it. thats a different case.. but back to this topic. sorry to thread jack a little bit.

this issue can be figured out later for people who want to be serious... good luck with your modification , looking foward to seeing results.

umm thanks? i actually had a different idea....and some of the comments made me second guess if the key had anything in it....
Old 05-08-2007, 04:13 AM
gthompson097

Originally Posted by Greg'Z33
Well, I'm still working out how to make the button both "START" & "STOP" the engine; I've got it narrowed down to the position of the clutch switch, i.e. whether it's released or depressed (to start the engine). I think I'm looking at three seperate relays, an IC 7400 series NAND gate and some miscellaneous discreet components to get it to work. If only the damned button said START only, I'd be done by now .
Do you think the auto would have the same problem even with the lack of a clutch? Any insight on this? I'm very curious about doing this now.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:18 AM
Greg'Z33

Originally Posted by gthompson097
Do you think the auto would have the same problem even with the lack of a clutch? Any insight on this? I'm very curious about doing this now.
Should be no problem with an auto. I believe you have a shift-interlock switch on the brake pedal that would set the logic condition for the button to operate as a START vs. STOP.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:30 AM
Billhyco

that keyless idea works by putting a transponder key somewhat close to the switch.

example : My keys were thrown (don't ask) and the transponder key for my Maxima shattered to pieces. All that was left was the metal shaft that goes into the cylinder. So I called nissan with my Vin, they got the key code and cut me a new key. I just went and picked up the key since I couldn't drive my car and what do ya know, they cut it wrong or something. The key would go in the cylinder but would not turn to start the car. I have a bunch of friends at the Nissan dealership so one of them on lunch brought the scanner to me, we actually taped the old key to the new key and was able to scan it and use it that way. Made it hell to put in my pocket because I didn't want to seperate them but it worked until I got the right cut.

almost forgot.... SUPER cool idea with the start/stop button. I was hoping they would eventually include this option on the new Z. The keyless option that is. Would be very interested in seeing the final product and a little DIY on this. Keep up the nice work!!!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 07:32 AM
gthompson097

Originally Posted by Greg'Z33
Should be no problem with an auto. I believe you have a shift-interlock switch on the brake pedal that would set the logic condition for the button to operate as a START vs. STOP.
Yeah that's what I kinda had in mind. Now if I can just get done with school so I can go home and actually do some of this work...
Old 05-08-2007, 07:42 AM
Greg'Z33

almost forgot.... SUPER cool idea with the start/stop button. I was hoping they would eventually include this option on the new Z. The keyless option that is. Would be very interested in seeing the final product and a little DIY on this. Keep up the nice work!!!!!

You know, this thing is going to progress to the point where it may be a little beyond a DIY simply because of the additional electronics involved. It may not be rocket science but it may be beyond the scope of what some people can do, especially if they have no soldering experience.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:11 PM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Unless your Key is BlueTooth and you dont have to put a key in the ignition then to me this is kind of Pointless. It looks nice, but you still have to turn the key making it silly IMHO.

Hopefully new Z's come with Bluetooth Keys and Push Start engines. That's 1 thing I love about my ex Lexus. You come close to the car the lights go on the doors unluck.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Greg'Z33

Default Progress.....

.....what progress? I'm sitting at my bench working on operational theory and how to lay it down on a PC board. Again, all of this to get the "STOP" functionality of the push button (and pulling my hair out)........
Old 05-12-2007, 01:21 PM
CESAROTORRES

Originally Posted by RedBullRR
Unless your Key is BlueTooth and you dont have to put a key in the ignition then to me this is kind of Pointless. It looks nice, but you still have to turn the key making it silly IMHO.

Hopefully new Z's come with Bluetooth Keys and Push Start engines. That's 1 thing I love about my ex Lexus. You come close to the car the lights go on the doors unluck.
I am with RedBull^^^^^^^^^^^^^+1^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cesar
Old 05-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Greg'Z33

Look, sure when you step back and look at what I'm trying to do, it does seem a little silly; no matter. It's a challenge now and I think once it's done, the cool factor will be pretty high.

Quick Reply: 2007 Altima engine Start/Stop button project