Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Finally got my Z - My Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 02:05 PM
apsilon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got my Z - My Impressions

Well I finally picked up my Z last night, a Daytona Blue Oz spec Track.

I'll add some pics and further impression over the next couple of days but here are my impressions from the drive home.

Headlights are a bit of a disappointment. I'm not sure what they're rated at but the old tech 7" sealed beams on my MX-5 are brighter. Haven't tried high beam yet though. We really should've got the HID even as an option.

Clutch is a little light for my taste but that's just what I'm used to. I also have a (to me) strange problem when going into first if the car is moving. Above 10kph no problem, slower than this and it clunks into gear. I suspect it's too slow for the syncros to work properly so I'll play around with this and find a way of avoiding it.

Brembo squeal is there but only at low speed, light application such as crawling along in traffic. I'll wait and see how this develops. Doesn't really bother me.

Engine and exhuast have a nice sound but could have been a little louder. Seems fairly responsive at legal road speeds. I'll have to wait and try open roads soon.

Handling is OK but slower to repsond than what I'm used to. Have to see what's like on some fun roads. Power steering feel is better than I expected. Has a nice weight to it and doesn't appear to be over assisted. Up until now I've avoided owning cars with power steer but that's no longer an option.

Rear 180deg view isn't good, I understand the popularity of parking sensors now. Certainly an achievement on Nissans behalf to have lower rear visibility than an MX-5 with the top up.

Build quality seems to be OK but daylight today will tell the full story.

Also haven't really used the stereo yet as I'm listening to the car so can't comment on the problems other people have had.

Dealer maintained their poor performance by doing an average detailing job (at least they don't appear to have scratched it or induced swirl marks) and only a quarter tank of fuel.

Overall I'm so far very happy with it. Oh yes, and it certainly gathers attention.

More and pics later.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:01 PM
noel48

Thanks for the good review but I disagree with your statement on rear visibility being worse than the MX-5 with the top up.I had to buy a hardtop for my 2001 Miata(MX-5) because I couldn't see anything with the soft top up during the winter.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:24 PM
Zdster

Congratulations apsilon,

The review was really good.

In relation to visability I have now gotten used to it and it doesnt bother me all that much.

Talking about the sound of the car, I finally got it over 2000k's and last night sitting at the lights gunned the car once or twice. At a stand still without road noise the car does sound awesome at a few thousand revs.

Congratulations again and I hope you enjoy the 350 as much as I do.

Zdster

By the way good colour choice
Old 05-02-2003, 07:00 PM
apsilon

noel48, I haven't driven an NB MX-5 so perhaps they're even worse than the NA. Still I used to be able to look over my right shoulder (RHD) and still be abel to see out the back window. Can't do that in the Z.

Zdster I'll have a lot to add as I rack up the km. Really is a stand out colour. My only concern is that someone's going to run into me it's attracting that much attention.

Up to 150km now. Haven't noticed anything new yet but thought I'd post a quick temporary pic. Just got back from having the windows tinted. I'll go out and fit the grounding kit now.

EDIT: Just noticed how dark the tint looks in that pic. It's not that dark. Darker than legal yes but not that much.

Last edited by apsilon; 05-02-2003 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:03 PM
Zdster

My only concern is that someone's going to run into me it's attracting that much attention.
I know what you mean. When I first got the car (first allocation) there were none on the road that I or apparently anyone else had seen. So travelling around became an interesting experience. I however was not so worried about people running into me, but the accidents caused as a result of me. People pulling alongside to stare at my blue beauty, not watching the road and . . .
Luckly I havent caused an accident to date though.

Zdster

By the way the tint looks really good.
Old 05-03-2003, 02:14 AM
Z350Lover

Default Re: Finally got my Z - My Impressions

Originally posted by apsilon
I also have a (to me) strange problem when going into first if the car is moving. Above 10kph no problem, slower than this and it clunks into gear. I suspect it's too slow for the syncros to work properly so I'll play around with this and find a way of avoiding it.

Brembo squeal is there but only at low speed, light application such as crawling along in traffic. I'll wait and see how this develops. Doesn't really bother me.
congrats man for having your car in your garage! NIce colour!

Well... your problems as mine still... I got those from day 1 and still have them while it has nearly 3500 km on the clock! All the best to your new car!

cheers,

richie
Old 05-03-2003, 06:22 PM
pookiebear

Originally posted by Zdster
Congratulations apsilon,

The review was really good.

In relation to visability I have now gotten used to it and it doesnt bother me all that much.
Same here. Lane change used to be an adventure. A $5 blindspot mirror (those little thingies that you glue into your actual side mirror) fixed it for me. Now I'm changing lanes with confidence without breaking my own neck when I try in vain to look over my shoulder.

In terms of being seen and attraction attention, visibility is another matter altogether. And, especially since I got my personal number plates, it has raised the look of the car to another level of damn coolness. I do love my Z, and man, does it look awesome!
Old 05-03-2003, 06:31 PM
350z4steve

Originally posted by apsilon
noel48, I haven't driven an NB MX-5 so perhaps they're even worse than the NA. Still I used to be able to look over my right shoulder (RHD) and still be abel to see out the back window. Can't do that in the Z.

Zdster I'll have a lot to add as I rack up the km. Really is a stand out colour. My only concern is that someone's going to run into me it's attracting that much attention.

Up to 150km now. Haven't noticed anything new yet but thought I'd post a quick temporary pic. Just got back from having the windows tinted. I'll go out and fit the grounding kit now.

EDIT: Just noticed how dark the tint looks in that pic. It's not that dark. Darker than legal yes but not that much.
This is a Track model? how ..unless they are selling them with the performance wheels now ..which I doubt..?
Old 05-03-2003, 06:49 PM
SHIFTZ

Apsilon

Looking good there apsilon.....tho with such dark windows, how the chickies gonna check u out at the lights?? I was dissapointed too when i first spoke to Z350Lover and he told me we didnt get the xenons. Im simply gonna pull my pants down and fork over the money for xenon units from Japan, then add some 6000K globes for the BMW blue/purple look. Also how do u feel sitting in the car with the high door trims?? Do u feel claustrophobic? When i was test drove the car i got used to the seating position after a few minutes, but found i couldnt c cars on my right approaching an intersection with the side mirror in the way......maybe im just a short a$$

350z4steve

In Aus we get two models, Touring and Track. Our Track has leather, heated seats, cruise, brembos, aero, VDC with the rays optional. The spec of Track here has less to do with actual track driving, but rather as the top of range model with all the features. Like ive said before i actually prefer those alloys to the Rays....the Rays to me dont look like an 18" wheel, tho the 3 dots on each spoke r a nice detail. Touring is like ur Perfomance model, but with 17s and TC only.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:53 PM
350z4steve

IC thanks for clearing the up..
Old 05-03-2003, 09:17 PM
apsilon

Yeah, as SHIFTZ said we got shafted on the wheels. I would've gone for the option if they hadn't been asking another AUD$4500 for them. I'll put that towards some TE37s thankyou.

SHIFTZ, I really only noticed the high door line the first time I sat in it. It doesn't bother me. I'm about 5'11" ish and sit fairly upright and close to the wheel which probably helps. I took mum for a drive and she could barely see out so yeah it could be a problem for shorter people. I was a bit surprised the seat isn't height adjustable.

I don't feel closed in at all, I'm used to driving an MX-5 which is smaller. My only problem is I keep reaching for switches that aren't there anymore.

You going for genuine Nissan xenon? Let me know, maybe we could put a group buy together if any other Aussies are interested.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:26 PM
SHIFTZ

Apsilon

Originally i was thinking of ordering the xenons from Nissan Japan, but a friend in the know told me it may just be easier to buy the Xenon ballasts off an s14/s15 200sx from a wrecker. A little back yard electronics work and some Philips Utopia Xenon globes, and u would have the same look.

What is stopping this route tho, i think i read somewhere on these forums that the actual relfector in the Halogen headlight assembly is different to the Xenons. Ill find out when i get the car, all this stuff is just floating around in my head atm....i think it may b boredom while waiting LOL

A group buy would b a good idea, im reasoning on about 3K for the whole assmebly. I dont know how to approach Nissan Japan about this tho.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:36 PM
apsilon

Didn't realise the 200SX had xenon, now I'm even more annoyed we didn't get it.

I know how it is to have ideas and plans floating around in your head. I often think things like this over for months looking at different approaches etc. I'm in no hurry. I don't do a lot of night driving anyway, I was just surprised to find they weren't as good as some old sealed beams.

I'll think it over and see if I can come up with any suggestions.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:06 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The reason the Oz spec 350Z does not have HID headlamps is that the factory ones that are fitted to the Jap & US Z,s do not meet Australian ADR,s

When the ADR,s for HID headlamps was written the Federal Office of Road Saftey (now DOTORS) just copied the European specifications, which state that the headlight must have automatic self leveling & have headlamp washers. The US spec must have self leveling but no washers.

To the best of my knowlage only the Grey import S15 sylvia,s were fitted with HID lamps not the local 200sx.

If our Z,s were to be fitted with ADR compliant headlamps add about $6000.00 to the purchase price.

Aftermarket HID kits are available for headlights but are probably
not legal. But nor is oversize wheel & tyre comb,s & that never stopped anyone
Old 05-04-2003, 04:24 PM
Z350Lover

Yeah..... true.... no one can really stop people modifying cars!

I used to run 6000K Hella HID in my E36 M3, since HID wasn't a standard/Option equipment back then.... and it was really BRIGHT and BLUISH! But I don't think I will get those after market HID anymore because that set of Hella HID screwed my instrument cluster up after using that for about 3 months or so. The mileage display and the SMG digit display weren't displayed properly... also at the end, I needed to take those set of Xenon lights out and bought another set of instrument cluster as I was going to sell the car... that sux!!! I would just choose a bluish after market bulbs or even the japanese standard xenon head light replacement if I am going for xenon lights...

Just want to share my experiences with you guys and you might want to think twice before you go ahead with your project!

cheers,

richie
Old 05-04-2003, 06:31 PM
apsilon

I'd prefer a plug in solution so I'm going to investigate the genuine Nissan HID from Japan. It's well down the list so don't expect anything in the near future.

Richie, are you sure it was the Hella HID that caused the problem? An unrelated system 3 months later? Could have been unrelated or was this a common problem in the BMW community?

Nathan, I was aware of the self leveling requirement but not of the washers. Your right about the wheels and even a lot of other mods. Headlights certainly wouldn't be obvious so I imagine you'd get away with it easily.

BTW I checked, seems the Z low beam is 55w, same as I had in my MX-5 so it's strange they're not as bright.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:49 AM
SHIFTZ

Nathan

The Aus model s15 200sx does have HID headlights, u can tell by the closed beam and the way the light colour changes from yellow to blue to green over bumps.....similar to those fitted to the current HSVs. The difference between the s15 200sx HIDs and those on say a BMW 330Ci is the actual wattage of the globe. The 200sx would be running 4000K i assume given the color of the light output, where BMW use 6000K to output the blue/purple look.

I assumed Nissan didnt fit our cars with Xenons because of ADRS, but its simply cost cutting by Nissan Aus to deliver the cars at a competitive price.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:50 AM
SHIFTZ

Nathan

The Aus model s15 200sx does have HID headlights, u can tell by the closed beam and the way the light colour changes from yellow to blue to green over bumps.....similar to those fitted to the current HSVs. The difference between the s15 200sx HIDs and those on say a BMW 330Ci is the actual wattage of the globe. The 200sx would be running 4000K i assume given the color of the light output, where BMW use 6000K to output the blue/purple look.

I assumed Nissan didnt fit our cars with Xenons because of ADRS, but its simply cost cutting by Nissan Aus to deliver the cars at a competitive price. Same deal with the auto dipping mirror and sunvisors with mirrors.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:55 AM
SHIFTZ

hmmmm strange two replys posted. Oh wells, Apsilon IMO i rekon the reason for the low light output is the reflector in the headlight assembly. I think fitting Halogens behind that silver thingy was an after thought, with the reflectors designed for the xenons only. Who knows....

Richie, uve fitted aftermarket Philips globes, can u post a pic so we can c the color/brightness of the output???? Thanks dude

BTW, i fitted the Philips BlueVision to my Alfa, and it didnt really change the color that much, just over bumps itll glow blueish briefly, with the actual light output being more a creamy white, then blue. They r however, much brighter than the OEM Bosch globes i had.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:14 AM
apsilon

You could be right about that reflector. It may just be that I've not looked that closely at other cars but isn't the whole headlight assembly design a little weird?

I too would be interested in Richie impressions of the other globes.

Quick Reply: Finally got my Z - My Impressions