Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

How Much Difference Do These Mods Make

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 05:40 PM
Zdownunder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much Difference Do These Mods Make

I'm new to this forum - have had my platinum track for nearly 3 months now and absolutely love it. One rattle that the dealer is trying to get to the bottom of but generally happy.

I wondered if anyone can tell me whether some of the mods floating about are worth doing? I'm talking about the cabling for the ECU earth from the US, cold air box, exhaust etc.

Also, is there anyone in Oz that supplys the JDM clear side markers, chrome kick strips for the door opening etc etc. I'd like to do a few things like that on mine and would like to see what is available locally.

Thanks - look forward to hearing from you.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:13 PM
harryw

Welcome! Glad to hear you're enjoying the Z.

Please let me preface my comments with the fact that I am not an expert and I cant tell you from personal experience if they work or not as I dont get my Z until next week (hoping).

But,

According to members the Grounding Kit makes the idle smoother and slightly lower and most importantly it looks good IMO. Not sure what "performance" increase you get, I have read of increases but only minor. I have one ready to go on to mine when I get it.

I have read the airbox on the Z is pretty good but a CAI will give minor increases in HP (about 5?). Apparently the CAI do give a distinctive "growl" under acceleration. I had one ordered but cancelled it, not sure what to do there? I know people are using the K&N filter to help with breathing.

I, and other members, have got a few bits and pieces from www.courtesyparts.com. Just be cafeful though as the postage is high and if you order over $250 OZ you will have to pay GST and duties.

As far as the exhaust goes Lambros from hightech mufflers has one raedy to go, I know Nismor33 has one not sure about any others. Perhaps Mike might comment on the exhaust when he gets back from US.

Again welcome!

H

Last edited by harryw; 06-11-2003 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:47 AM
nismor33

Hi there !

Thought I would respond while I have a chance today.

I am currently running a HiTech muffler, and custom Y Pipe design which is simply superb ! The sound is fantastic, no drone, no sound inside under normal cruising with windows up and am amazing tone under acceleration !

I got 18 rwkw from the system.

Best news is that these are now available from Hi Tech ! Tell Lambros I spoke to you and I am sure he will help you out, great guy!!

Regards
Mike
Old 06-12-2003, 03:17 PM
Zdownunder

Default Thanks

Thanks guys,

That gives me something to go on with.

Harry, is that http adress for courtesy parts spot on?

Link didn't want to work for me.

Cheers,
Old 06-12-2003, 06:42 PM
harryw

yeah, url is correct. They must have a problem at their end as I couldnt get through either. I also tried their main page which is courtesynissan.com and then clicked on the parts icon and it didnt work either.

H
Old 06-13-2003, 12:38 AM
Zdster

Edited: There website doesnt seem to be working for me either.

harryw and Zdownunder,

I think that the problem is is that there is an extra full stop at the end of the url.

Hope that that helped,

Zdster

Last edited by Zdster; 06-13-2003 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:07 AM
ZEXC-33

Originally posted by harryw

I, and other members, have got a few bits and pieces from www.courtesyparts.com. Just be cafeful though as the postage is high and if you order over $250 OZ you will have to pay GST and duties.
H
Harry i remember reading this statement in another thread regarding buying stuff from overseas. In purchasing over AUS $3000 of audio gear i did not pay any such duties....i think u said 30% in the last post.

My Uni mate's father is a customs broker and has cleared the reasons up for me. What u have stated isnt correct. As to not incur any duties, u must purchase from a site that states 'all shipping costs r calculated door-to-door.' If the shipping costs r quoted door-to-door then the business' own shipping company handles all duties, handling and posting to ur door, all u pay is GST (i.e. + 10% of purchase price). If however u purchase from a site and door-to-door shipping is not included, then u have to organise ur own pick up from customs and pay the hefty handling charges and import tax since they open the goods, bla bla bla....up to 15%.....plus the 10% GST.

The crucial element in buying off the net is to find in the documentation on the site whether shipping costs r door-to-door.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:37 PM
apsilon

I was the one who originally quoted the 30% figure. It wasn't intended to be the exact amount but rather an estimate based upon many years of importing from many different countries. It's a rule of thumb that I use. Cost of goods plus 30% covers shipping, import duties and GST.

Door to door quotes are being charged duty where appropriate, you're just paying it in the shipping costs rather than when it gets here. Personally I've found it's usually cheaper to pay it here rather than to the shipping company up front but the difference is minimal.

Time wise is different however and door to door shipping is much faster. I've had things delivered door to door in 2 days from the US. Best I've had using other methods has been a week and as long as 4 weeks for some items.