Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Insurance sh!t Creek - I dont think anyone can help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 02:07 AM
apsilon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure but I second trying GIO. I've been told they'll cover anything that's RTA legal and 9.5" is.

As for Shannons they told me they won't insure the Zed at all. let me know if you find otherwise.

Good luck.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:33 AM
4WSboy

Originally posted by apsilon
Not sure but I second trying GIO. I've been told they'll cover anything that's RTA legal and 9.5" is.

As for Shannons they told me they won't insure the Zed at all. let me know if you find otherwise.

Good luck.
See other post..Shannons quoted me $2400!! 40y.o odd full no claim good Sydney suburb they were only half interested.

My young colleague (21) just got good price from a Company called "Young and Cool" insurance..never heard of em, but worth a shot...her V6 626 $1200 ..other quotes $2K +...
Old 04-23-2004, 01:10 PM
apsilon

Young and Cool are like Just Cars. Unfortunately I'm not young enough anymore as they won't insure over 30s.

I'll give Shannons another call and see what they say.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:49 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, find out how many years back driving record they want.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:48 PM
mchapman

Also ask them how much it would cost to insure a 350z Turbo.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:39 AM
MR RIZK

Originally posted by Z350Lover
I am with the RACV and I just don't see why they cannot insure you with 9.5J wheels though... because you are allow to go 2" larger in diameter and 1" in width on the widest wheels that the dealer offers on the standard car by LAW... I am using 9.5J at the back as well and don't think my insurance does care because my wheels can be bought from Nissan dealer.... and if nissan dealer can sell 9.5", I cannot see why you cannot use after market 9.5J wheels though....
Richie.

If you read the rules carefully you actually cannot change the wheels at all. Most people say u can go 1" wider and must stay within 15mm of rolling diameter which is true to an extent.

The ADR also states that when you change your wheels that the load rating must be equal too or greater than the original spec.

Now for example you had 205/50/16 and changed them to 215/35/18 the rolling diameter is the same but the load rating is different. The only way to get around this is to buy the new type of tyres that have a higher load rating as more air can be pumped into them. I think Pirelli and Nitto make some of these.

From memory they are called XL (Extra Load) or something like that and really only have come on the market in the last 18 months. So in a nut shell if you believe that the width and diameter are legal check the load rating.

The other problem is the track which from memory you are allowed 25mm increase total. With a 19x9.5 rim with a +21 offset this would be around a 50mm increase in track. So we are screwed again.

ADR 09

Michael
Old 04-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Z350Lover

that's quite interesting though... because they never check this when you go through the road worthy test.... and many of my friends are certified road worthy testers and they told me those rules...

If that's the case, that means that ALL the BMWs with the factory larger wheels are illegal from the day you pick up the car and they (BMW) should be liable to all of these, right? For example, my 5 series is currently using the wheels from the factory which is 7.5J all around and I can option up to 9.5J or 10J wheels for the rears from BMW factory and I am sure the offsets would be different at this stage for sure and you are also allowed to choose whatever tyres that you want to use (my BMW dealer is also an authorise RWC tester)... and they claim they are all legal...

Also the track.... my friend told me that you are allowed to have 23mm (which is around 1" in width) larger (wider) at EACH side though... that means 50mm is still acceptable at this stage according to him... You can call Geoff Nicholls at Prestiage Cars in Victoria (9818 4555) for more information as he is in this business for over 40 years...

cheers,

richie

Last edited by Z350Lover; 04-26-2004 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:45 PM
MR RIZK

You point out a valid point about the "option dealer wheels". I would have to *assume* though the ADR rulings work off the biggest factory option and work from there.

From reading page 2 on the link I provided before my understanding which maybe wrong is the track can increase 25mm in total. 12.5 mm each side.

Don't get me wrong richie I think it is all BS and especially when they write

Sometimes the range of wheels listed by the manufacturer may appear to be limited. While it is recommended
that you only fit these wheels, the RTA does not oppose the fitting of wheels outside the range providing they are
safe for the vehicle.

Who determines they are safe?
Old 04-26-2004, 07:23 PM
Z350Lover

RIZK:

yeah... understood that, this an open discussion mate!

it is really hard to judge which one is the safer wheel, even for RTA... but in general, if you go with a big brand wheels, the ADR should not charge you for anything though... well.... who knows really?!

cheers,

richie
Old 04-26-2004, 10:07 PM
apsilon

Originally posted by mchapman
Cool, find out how many years back driving record they want.
Finally got an answer from Shannons. Nice price but I'm still looking around.

As for history they want 5 years.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:14 PM
MR RIZK

Originally posted by flight
1. I got a quote from a company called Famous Insurance http://www.famousinsurance.com.au/ to insure my r34 GTR. Heard good things about them and they gave me a very competitive quote and were liberal with mods. Down side is they are a smaller company, underwritten by a UK outfit.
I called these guys ages ago and they would not insure the Z for 2 reasons. Cost of car and lived in Sydney. They would only insure cars around the 45K mark
Old 04-26-2004, 10:17 PM
MR RIZK

Originally posted by apsilon
Finally got an answer from Shannons. Nice price but I'm still looking around.

As for history they want 5 years.
Both Shannons and Torque would not insure the Z when I rang about 10 months ago.

Hopefully things have changed
Old 04-26-2004, 10:29 PM
apsilon

They wouldn't insure the Zed when I spoke to them a year ago but it seems now they will as they just gave me a quote.

EDIT: Torque won't insure anything over $50k
Old 04-27-2004, 01:15 AM
mchapman

5 years

GIO is my only hope, and I don’t like my chances there either because I’ve had my license suspended in the last two years, and they'll want to know why etc. Then I’ll be on their computer as having my license suspended and will never be able to get insurance with them.

Looks like i'll be buying smaller wheels and tyres.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:24 AM
apsilon

I wouldn't just assume any of the companies are going to deny insurance. That may be the case but at least call around and check.

Have you considered an insurance broker? I've never used one so can't make any recommendations but it may be the way to go.

My insurance expires on the 2/5 so I've only got this week to sort it out. Shannons look like being the cheapest but they don't take Amex and I don't have any other cards so it looks like I'll be moving from GIO to NRMA as GIO doesn't want to match prices.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:28 AM
mchapman

We'll see, i can find out but if NRMA want to charge me $4500(originally $3500) and when I joined with them my license only had one thing on it, then it will be interesting to see what GIO will charge with the license suspenion on it + my wheels.

When an insurance company says it will cost $14,000 a year to insure you, they are really saying, "No get lost."

Last edited by mchapman; 04-27-2004 at 01:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Z350Lover

I JUST swapped my Insurance from RACV to GIO.... it is because RACV only can insure me at the market value and GIO offers A LOT better deal than the RACV....

Also checked with RACV, the max. wheel width is 8.5J as what machapman mentioned, I was damn confused and the lady couldn't do anything to help me up although she wants me to stay with them. And for the GIO, I got my car insured for 72K (instead of 63K at RACV) and also got my body kits, wheels and exhaust all insured without any question!

GIO even offers cheaper premium price to me after I included Free 14 days loan car and No Claim protection for Rating 1.

So mchapman, go for GIO... they will look after you!

RIZK:

I double check with my friend and the GIO, they will accept anything that's legal on the road.... which means that you are allow to go 1" wider on the wheels and 2" larger in diameter but once again that only applies in VICTORIA (am not sure about NSW though)....

cheers,

richie
Old 04-27-2004, 05:38 PM
apsilon

I just got back from renewing my insurance. I gave GIO another chance to match price but they didn't want to so moved my comprehensive and GTP to NRMA. They were almost $300 a year cheaper which is like getting free rego. I have no problem with GIO and would've stayed with them if not for the price.

FWIW NRMA only asked me for 2 years driving record.

As for wheels in NSW it's 26mm wider than the largest OEM option and AFAIK no limit on diameter except you must stay within a few percent of the overall OEM size. You can only change track by 12.5mm per side.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:03 PM
nuff

I was under the impression that the widest wheel offered by nissan in australia was 8", that would limit me to 9" wheels. Are there wider wheels offered by nissan?
Old 04-27-2004, 06:08 PM
apsilon

The forged ones are 8.5" in the back.

Quick Reply: Insurance sh!t Creek - I dont think anyone can help.