Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Insurance sh!t Creek - I dont think anyone can help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 09:09 PM
ottonove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had alot of experience with insurance company, and all my cars I have are modded, but I never tell the insurance what I have done.
I just had a claim last week on my BMW with GIO, it has coilovers, strut bar, sways, bigger TB, AP Racing brakes, 18" BBS wheels painted black, but on inspection, they dont even care whats on the car and focus on the damage....

edit: The only prob not list the options on the policy is the aftermarket parts wont get insured, ie. if your volks gor stolen, you wont get paid for the volks, but only for the original wheels.

Last edited by ottonove; 06-10-2004 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:16 PM
LemanZ

Just keep your original wheels and rims in your garage, if anything happen, change it over before make any claim. Never tow you car to the crush repairer before you put you car back to stock. Haha, rims and wheels will rase your insurance price a lot.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:33 AM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ottonove
I have had alot of experience with insurance company, and all my cars I have are modded, but I never tell the insurance what I have done.
I just had a claim last week on my BMW with GIO, it has coilovers, strut bar, sways, bigger TB, AP Racing brakes, 18" BBS wheels painted black, but on inspection, they dont even care whats on the car and focus on the damage....

edit: The only prob not list the options on the policy is the aftermarket parts wont get insured, ie. if your volks gor stolen, you wont get paid for the volks, but only for the original wheels.

This is how I have done all my other cars because I was not concerned with losing the mods if I had a crash. HOWEVER I do want my expensive wheels covered, I would be stupid not to get them covered. Also NRMA have stated that my insurance is VOID with those wheels on the car, so if I have a crash they wont pay for ANYTHING!
Old 06-11-2004, 12:38 AM
mchapman

Originally posted by LemanZ
Just keep your original wheels and rims in your garage, if anything happen, change it over before make any claim. Never tow you car to the crush repairer before you put you car back to stock. Haha, rims and wheels will rase your insurance price a lot.

This is a dodgy solution that is not 100% guaranteed to work.

And I want the wheels insured.

I already pay ALOT in insurance.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:52 AM
KY350

All insurance conpanies will let an under age driver drive a vehicle that they are not covered for, but only 12 times a year. So if you drive it daily and you have a major prang, then the insurance company will have to prove that you drove the car more than 12 time in 1 year to refuse your claim.

If the vehicle is a write off and you have a bad driving record, then the insurance company will probably go to great lengths to prove you drove the car more than 12 times, to avoid paying out a large sum of money.

So it is a big risk you take if you do that.

Ring around all the insurance companies and tell them the truth about your driving record (but don't tell them your name) to see whether they will cover you and for what premium. If worse come to worst, then you may have to get rid of the Volks.

I understand that you want a fair go from the insurance companies, but they also want a fair go from you too. With your past driving record and a high powered sports car (supposedly) to boot, you're going to have to pay up for cover. Otherwise, you will have to avoid any fines / accidents / claims for 5 years to prove that you're a low risk proposition and then you will get cover at a reasonable rate (you'll also probably not be an underage driver then anyway).

Yep, it sux being young, a sports car enthusiast / owner and looking for reasonable insurance.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:45 AM
mchapman

Good post.

In general I want a fair go from insurance companies but in regards to this particular case I do know why they wouldnt want to insure me. But in the past even when record hasnt come into it, they will still try to rip you off. Last year my insurance went up $1000 for no reason.

I'll only try one other insurance company and not mention names. After they ask for 10K a year I'll order X2 new 8.5" Volk wheels & 255 S03 tyres for almost cost price and wait for them to get here. Then when im a bit older and my record is a bit clearer I'll put the 9.5" back on.

True.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:58 AM
MR RIZK

Originally posted by KY350
All insurance conpanies will let an under age driver drive a vehicle that they are not covered for, but only 12 times a year. So if you drive it daily and you have a major prang, then the insurance company will have to prove that you drove the car more than 12 time in 1 year to refuse your claim.
This used to be the case not any more. NRMA was one of these companies and if you ask them now you will be told otherwise.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:06 AM
KY350

Not true Rizk. My other car is insured through NRMA and I have lent it to a friend. Recently, my friends underage son was driving the car and he smashed (his fault). I told NRMA what happened and made a claim. Claim was accepted and I simply had to pay an excess and underage excess as there was no cover for underage drivers.

Also, my Z is insured through Allianz and I spoke to them about underage drivers. They also confirmed that an underage driver car drive my Z 12 times a year - but that won't happen.

I guess you get a different story from each telephone representative you speak to.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:57 PM
MR RIZK

KY350.

It is interesting as I did go to 3 NRMA branches and ask the same question.

Either way it is good to see that it was sorted out for you. I'm sort of lucky as none of my friends are under 25 anyway.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:18 PM
KY350

Rizk - like I said, different story depending on who you speak to.

As for the Z, no one else drives it except me, so no probs with under age drivers also.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:09 AM
Z350Lover

Originally posted by KY350
Rizk - like I said, different story depending on who you speak to.

As for the Z, no one else drives it except me, so no probs with under age drivers also.
KY350...

Luckily same as me.... I wouldn't need to worry about that.... even my financee is over 25 as well, so if she wants to drive it, that's fine too.... wooops.... shhhhhhi.... shouldn't really talk about her age really....

cheers,

richie
Old 06-13-2004, 04:21 PM
mchapman

But if someone else crashed your car who wasnt under 25, you'd still have to pay an excess wouldnt you.

Last edited by mchapman; 06-13-2004 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:56 AM
KY350

Yes - still pay your standard excess.

Also, notify the insurance company that you were not the driver, so that the accident does not affect you in future if you intend on switching insurance companies.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:16 AM
ottonove

Originally posted by mchapman
But if someone else crashed your car who wasnt under 25, you'd still have to pay an excess wouldnt you.
yes, you'll pay the basic excess, plus a premium for unlisted driver, but you're still covered.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Chuckie

Just spoke to shannon's.

they quoted me $2300 for an 04 Zed. 32 yrs old and full no claim
Old 06-14-2004, 08:20 PM
nuff

Chuckie, which suburb?
Old 06-14-2004, 11:40 PM
KY350

Shannon's quoted me the same price and I live in Southern Sydney suburbs. They also said ok to change exhaust.

But if you were doing a lot of performance mods, the bill would be $3,300. I wonder if they'd cover FI for that price?
Old 06-15-2004, 05:47 PM
Chuckie

N Sydney area
Old 06-15-2004, 06:17 PM
nuff

I just got quoted by shannons and it's $3300 for me in the city, which is $200 less then NRMA. I'll change to them once my insurance is up for renewal. And unlike NRMA they gave me ok to 9.5JJ wheels in the rear.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:18 AM
nsw350z

My insurance is $1800 with AAMI - but then again I'm old - 48 and 70% no claim.

Quick Reply: Insurance sh!t Creek - I dont think anyone can help.