Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Insurance sh!t Creek - I dont think anyone can help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 03:16 AM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Insurance **** Creek - I dont think anyone can help.

Problem 1.
My insurance company has informed me that my 9.5" wheels on the back void my insurance policy and they wont insure it with them on. 8.5" is the maximum allowed width and even now if I have a crash im not insured.

Problem 2.
Im young with a not so good driving record so finding another insurance company that will take me, even as a additional driver, will be very hard.

Problem 3.
If im forced to stay with NRMA i'll have to put the stock wheels back on for now and have to buy 2 new wheels and tyres to go on the back which will have less traction than my current setup and will cost about $3000 more.

Does anyone know an insurance company who will insure 9.5" wide wheels in the back and a 22yr old driver(23 in june) with a not so good driving record(2 offences on it over the last 3 years, or maybe only 1 thing over the last 2 years)?

Last year I paid $3500 and this year NRMA want $4500 with a $2000 excess, so im willing to pay around $5000/yr with me as an additional driver and my father as the main driver.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by mchapman; 04-22-2004 at 03:21 AM.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:40 AM
ypwpat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just Car Insurance?
Old 04-22-2004, 03:52 AM
mchapman

About Justcar,

I tried a while ago to get insurance with them but they quoted $14,000/yr to insure me on a $40,000 200sx. They want the last 3 yrs driving record so that would be worse than the last 2 years.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:00 AM
mchapman

4WSBOY, Who are you with? You have 9" wide wheels on the back?
Old 04-22-2004, 04:26 AM
4WSboy

Originally posted by mchapman
4WSBOY, Who are you with? You have 9" wide wheels on the back?
I'm with AAMI.

They allow any "legal" width, but they are, as you know associated with Just Cars..which could be a prob.

I was quoted some ridiculously high rate at Just Cars and I am concerned that the obverse could happen with a 'higher risk' younger driver with their parent Co...AAMI.

There are others here with 9" + arent there?

Maybe Father with AAMI might be a chance?

BTW.Allianz would only go to 8.5" too.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:31 AM
Z350Lover

That's a lot of money for the insurance though.... but it is always wise to get the car insured!

I am with the RACV and I just don't see why they cannot insure you with 9.5J wheels though... because you are allow to go 2" larger in diameter and 1" in width on the widest wheels that the dealer offers on the standard car by LAW... I am using 9.5J at the back as well and don't think my insurance does care because my wheels can be bought from Nissan dealer.... and if nissan dealer can sell 9.5", I cannot see why you cannot use after market 9.5J wheels though....

Other than Just Car Insurance, I cannot think of any else where to insure your car.... because those small insurance shops will not take any risk at all.... how about AAMI and GIO? my friend WAS 23 and got his S15 insured for 1600 with GIO a few years ago... worth taking a look!

cheers and good luck!

richie
Old 04-22-2004, 04:37 AM
mchapman

I agree, I cant see why they wouldnt as im only increasing the amount of grip I have, but they checked with their legal department and the largest they said they would do is 8.5".

You may want to check with your insurance company, if you have a crash they wont fork up if its incorrect?

Last edited by mchapman; 04-22-2004 at 04:43 AM.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:48 AM
mchapman

RACV online quoting system looks exactly the same as the NRMA one... Except online it wont quote for vechiles outside VIC. Im guessing they get their insurance through NRMA so you would definatly want to check as im with NRMA now and they wont insure 9.5".

Last edited by mchapman; 04-22-2004 at 04:56 AM.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:19 AM
Z350Lover

well..... I was with NRMA, but since there is no more NRMA in Victoria, so I am with RACV now... last time my car was hitted by a cement mixer truck and I was using the spacers, my insurance company saw the spacers and did not say anything, they paid for the damange on my car themselves first, then chased the bill on the "trouble maker"....

Also on my m3, I made a slightly dented on the front fender (about 3 years ago) and they fixed the car for around 5K, I have the AC Schnitzer wheels on my car which is 1" wider than original M3's wheels (even with the AC Schnitzer original spacers) also my car had exhaust, body kits, RACV has not problem with them at all That's why I chose to stay with the RACV....

Also BMW offers quite a lot of different types of wheels too, and many of them are VERY wide.... even goes up to 10J.... so if they are illegal to have them, BMW/Nissan wouldn't offer them at the very first place...

cheers,

richie
Old 04-22-2004, 05:46 AM
zuff

Have you tried GIO? I use them for my business insurance and they are fine.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:28 PM
flight

Bad luck dude. The funny thing is, 9.5 inch wheels are a passive safety feature of your car: you are less likely to crash your car if you have better grip. Ok, so they are more vulnerable to threat but I do not think that is what they are complaining about.

I can think of a three options:

1. I got a quote from a company called Famous Insurance http://www.famousinsurance.com.au/ to insure my r34 GTR. Heard good things about them and they gave me a very competitive quote and were liberal with mods. Down side is they are a smaller company, underwritten by a UK outfit. I do not see this as a real problem, but not everyone feels this way.

2. Try an insurance broker. Saves you the running around and they can get access to companies and deals that the avergage joe does not. You'd end up paying a brokerage fee but can save you money in long run. Can be hit and miss depending on how good the broker is.

3. Shannons is also a long shot because they seem to insure cars on a case by case basis. Would not insure c5 corvette for daily use, but interested in 350z and the vette the next time I called, go figure!

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2004, 05:17 PM
frosty

Just re-insured with Shannons the latest kiddeykar WRX with biger twin turbo, 3.5" ss exhaust, bigger wheels, wings, bodykit blow-offs you can hear in WA, massive suspension mods, 30 profile tyres and goes on for ever with boost controllers and and and and. $1200 for $28000 coverage.

NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER - driver 29 yo.. . JUST HAD A CAR STOLEN 4 WEEKS AGO!

Can't understand the difficulty when some have called them.

Ask for CHOOK and tell him I'll bash him if he does'nt come across!

You can even get coverage for club events.

GO TO THEIR WEB PAGE!

FROZTY
Old 04-22-2004, 05:27 PM
Z350Lover

Flight:

Sorry... OFF TOPIC HERE:

How is your R34 GTR going? what colour have you got? Show us some pics mate!

cheers,

richie
Old 04-22-2004, 07:40 PM
flight

I sold the GTR I got a really good price on it and got a lot of offers from peeps to buy if off me, and i caved into the $$$ I could easily make from selling it. I know it is shameful

Now I am sad. It was black, perfect condition and completely standard.

However, I am about to buy myself replacement

Will post pics when I get delivery of the car. Who needs money for a house...I'll live in a box dammit!

Murray, any news?
Old 04-22-2004, 07:53 PM
mchapman

I need my father to make the call etc but he wont be back in town for a few days. So im driving a civic for the moment.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:14 PM
Z350Lover

murray:

I am sure you will get a deal soon with your father name on the policy! From there, get the policy that you can get your own repairer because that will help you A LOT later on!

Flight:

It is such a wise move when you did that because the GTR price seems to be cheaper now in Japan compare to a year or a couple of years ago... I would have done the same thing if I were you. BTW, do you import cars yourself or you go through an importer? any suggestion as my friend is currently looking forward to buy a V-Spec 2 or even the Nur spec GTR R34... thanks for your help in advance!

cheers,

richie
Old 04-22-2004, 08:53 PM
dixonbn

Murray, I had the same problem with the 9.5" wheels - ended up with GIO.

Flight, am also interested to hear how you are sourcing your GTR.

Brett.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:44 PM
flight

Murray:

From zed to civic...I feel for you dude.

Richie and Brett:

First GTR sourced from a friend in Queensland who imports cars (dealership). I had a suspicion the GTR would drop due to the exchange rate of the yen. So I gambled and it paid off. Mind you, the price of GTR has not dropped as much as I thought (for a good one anyway) because the import laws have changed and Nissan has delayed the r35.

I can put you in contact with some good quality importers that have the RAWS for the GTR. The new import laws have complicated things and a few places do not have certifcation to import these cars. Should be able to get v-spec ii in good condition for a good price, but as for the nur spec, tell you friend to get his cheque book out because they are rare and often track raced. Probably better off going for a 'regular' GTR and spending that extra $ on personnalising it
Old 04-22-2004, 11:51 PM
Z350Lover

thanks flight... that's really helpful! I will pass the information on to my friend now and it is up to him to decide what to get.... he is lookin at GTR's at Gran Tourismo Auto as well, they seem to have plenty there...

cheers,

richie
Old 04-23-2004, 01:08 AM
mchapman

Does anyone know how far back driving record GIO and shanons ask for when applying for insurance?

Quick Reply: Insurance sh!t Creek - I dont think anyone can help.