Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Front Parking Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 07:51 PM
REDZED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front Parking Sensors

Have fitted a Bosch ParkPilot system to the rear and that works well - however now the front is the issue as I have had several close calls with concrete car park edges.

The problem is with ultrasonic systems you need to turn it off above low speed otherwise the airflow through the grill causes the thing to have a nervous breakdown. Theres no first gear switch and no gearbox speed sensor so it is not easy to detect when it should be active.

Infra red/ laser can be left on but the range is too short and you need several sensors to cover the front adequately

Any ideas ?
Old 05-19-2004, 08:24 PM
apsilon

Well the obvious one is to stop sooner than you think you need to but if you really want a system at the front I can only suggest a manual on off switch for it.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:09 PM
REDZED

Can't fault you logic, its just that I am concerned that I will remenber to turn it on about 100mm too late.....

The small panel that contains the interior light switch clips out easily and is a good place for a display/switch whatever.... Its also much easier running the wiring through the a pillar fasia/ headlining than through the dash - probably won't look too shabby either and if you #$%^ it up its cheap ( compared with a dash ) to replace.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:10 PM
apsilon

I know how you feel. I've sctually scrapped those parking blocks a few times. The nose is deceptive in it's length, most of the time I'm level with a full size sedans rear door when I stop.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:35 PM
REDZED

Have sourced a IR Laser sensor that reads out to around 200mm on concrete. Its field of view is narrow ( which is not ideal ) but because of this can be aimed very precisely which means it can be left on all the time ( which is good ). Its output is simply ON/OFF so its go/no go instead of the steady increase in intensity of an ultrasonic system. Will machine up a mount over the weekend and see what actually happens when mounted in the Z.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:52 PM
apsilon

Be interested to see pics etc when you're done.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:35 PM
zuff

I've pushed one of those blocks over.... it must have been hit befor as i only nudged it.

Went out and though...oooppsss!

***** me because most of the time it's the black plastic that is catching and not the bumper.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:36 AM
KY350

Done it once and that was enough for me to learn to be more careful next time. Now I it appears that the rear of my car is sticking out too far from the space, I will get out of the car and check how much space I have between the bumper and concrete.

Also, when I'm backing up, I stop when it appears as though the rear bumper is about to hit the wall behind. When I get out of the car and check, I usually still have 0.5m to go to the wall. I like that because it causes me to stop well before I will hit any immovable obstructions.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:44 PM
REDZED

Well...... 200mm isn't enough, buy the time the laser sensor is mounted in the grill area the range just isn't far enough. it would be OK if you are super carefull but not for day to day use. Back to the ol' drawing board - perhaps a switch on the ultrasonic system is the least worst solution ! Will post when I figure out the next step.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:16 PM
Infern0

Yeah, I just learned my lesson as well. Funny that this post came up because yesterday I went over a parking curb, and that freakin metal pole that they nail it down with was purtruding a little bit, was like an arrow into the underside of my bumper. Was fine going over it, but when I reversed, cut straight through the bottom of the bumper. DAMN IT! Not noticeable unless you look under, but I know it's there.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:42 PM
REDZED

Gone to the old ultrasonic system and a combined ON/Off button mounted in the overhead light assembly. Works well - just have to train myself to turn it on.
Its nice and progressive, with sensible distance feedback ( sound and light ) and for around $40 and some time its worth the effort. Working on a CAN bus intercept to pick up vehicle speed and turn it on at low speed - but its a bit of a long term project so I suspect the switch might be the actual solution......