Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

CF Mud Flaps & such

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 06:18 PM
Aus Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CF Mud Flaps & such

Guys,

Somewhere along the way whilst surfing for all things 350Z I came across a place that sold CF mud flaps. I figured that I could do with mud flaps and the CF ones might look pretty good on my lack Roadster.

I can't seem to find anything searching through the forum so wondered if you guys knew of anywhere I might be able to get these from; particularly in Australia but I'm sure I can get them shipped if not.

I might also add a couple of other CF pieces so they're not the only bits but we'll see. I thought about Bat's front lip CF look vinyl actually. (Would help limit stone chips too.) Beyond that I know I saw some CF bits for the wing mirror mounts and the pieces that slip into the Nissan emblems. But that would be about it I think.

No too Rice?
Old 08-03-2004, 06:47 PM
WhiteZed

rice is what you think is rice.. if you like it, then do it ..
i may start another thread and see what peoples definition of rice is...

and sorry i cant help with what you want... i have a whole bunch of nissan parts and accessories web sites at home...

ill have a look tonight for you !!
Old 08-03-2004, 11:05 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO CF mud flaps would be a bit of a toss / rice. There is zero benefit in having carbon fiber mud flaps and there is no way that they would actually be made out of CF. Most of the CF parts you'll find arent real Carbon Fiber because of the cost involved to produce them. Its nearly always just plastic or fiberglass with a layer of that carbon fiber look weave over the top. And if they were made out of real carbon fiber, apart from the high price they would weigh more than the fiber glass ones. Carbon fiber is lighter than metal but it isnt lighter than fiber glass and as the strength of a mud flap is irrelevant we can ignore that factor altogether. Personally I dont think a Carbon fiber mud flap would look good either, but this is just my opinion.

I agree with what WhiteZed said, if you like them then thats all that matters.

Last edited by mchapman; 08-03-2004 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:37 AM
Aus Z

Originally posted by mchapman
IMO CF mud flaps would be a bit of a toss / rice. There is zero benefit in having carbon fiber mud flaps and there is no way that they would actually be made out of CF. Most of the CF parts you'll find arent real Carbon Fiber because of the cost involved to produce them. Its nearly always just plastic or fiberglass with a layer of that carbon fiber look weave over the top. And if they were made out of real carbon fiber, apart from the high price they would weigh more than the fiber glass ones. Carbon fiber is lighter than metal but it isnt lighter than fiber glass and as the strength of a mud flap is irrelevant we can ignore that factor altogether. Personally I dont think a Carbon fiber mud flap would look good either, but this is just my opinion.

I agree with what WhiteZed said, if you like them then thats all that matters.
That's cool. You're probably right about the weight. I know the ones I stumbled across, and can't find again, were supposedly real CF but who knows what they weighed.

I've been to and fro on whether they would look any good; mostly on the basis that I think they would look good if they were very subtle but not so good if they were loudly CF, if you know what I mean.

The other thing is that, potentially, once I start on the CF path, it would self feed and I'd sort of have to put more on so that the splash guards don't look too out of place.

So I think I might just get some standard splash guards after all that. However, I did just buy a CF look car bra for when I do long trips!
Old 08-04-2004, 02:56 AM
frosty

I got "flaps" front and rear.

Pic is from an unnatural angle - they actually enhance the lines of the Z when viewed normally.

Ask Shimano - he's always behind - that's the main reason that I put them on too - 'caus he was copping my roost all the time!

SHIZZLE
Attached Thumbnails CF Mud Flaps & such-img_2147-w.jpg  
Old 08-04-2004, 02:08 PM
harryw

Aus, the only thing I can help you with is the CF inserts for the hamburger. Im not sure where you get the other bits you're chasing.

The CF inserts come from a bloke called reen and you can get them at www.reenmachine.com. Cost about $20 IIRC.

As far as Im concerned "Rice" is things like huge bodykits, those huge MF wings and neon. Must other things are OK. Like everyone else said though, who gives a flying fark, all that matters is that you like it.

As always

H
Old 08-04-2004, 10:11 PM
mchapman

I think it originates from the non-performance asian mods you can buy, like LEDS, Neon UFOs, Touring spoilers & milo tins for civics & excels etc.

IMO anything that doesnt have function or form is rice. i.e. If it isnt increasing performance (power, handling, aerodynamics, weight reduction) or making your car more visually appealing then its rice. But the line defining rice gets blurry because some people think they are making their car look better by adding blue LEDs or carbon fiber mud flaps
Old 08-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Aus Z

Unhappy Sold out

Originally posted by harryw
Aus, the only thing I can help you with is the CF inserts for the hamburger. Im not sure where you get the other bits you're chasing.

The CF inserts come from a bloke called reen and you can get them at www.reenmachine.com. Cost about $20 IIRC.

As far as Im concerned "Rice" is things like huge bodykits, those huge MF wings and neon. Must other things are OK. Like everyone else said though, who gives a flying fark, all that matters is that you like it.

As always

H
Thanks for the link I'll keep an eye on it. Unfortunately he's sold out anyway.

One thing though, I don't understand the Nav Plate insert. What's that all about? Just seems to block access to the compartment so don't really understand it.

Ciao
Old 08-05-2004, 07:58 PM
mchapman

I think it just goes at the back of the compartment, it doesnt block it off.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:07 PM
harryw

Muzz, is correct. It doesnt actually block the compartment off, it just sits in the back.

As always

H