Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Autocross invite SW Fla.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Autocross invite SW Fla.

Our summer break is over and this weekend is event #7. (sept. 1st and 2nd)

I just wanted to invite anyone who is in the SW Fla area to come out and run.

If you are new to autocross or can only make one of the two days, Saturday is the seat time day with two seperate tracks. A test and tune, and novice cource run at the same time and everyone gets a lot of driving time if they want it. (Weather permiting)

Here is what one of the full courses looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTYiWbtwvhQ

And this is our website for more info.

http://www.gulfcoastautocrossers.com/
Old 08-27-2007, 04:24 PM
l30thelion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I'm looking forward to it!

I ran Sebring this past weekend w/ Chin Motorsprots, had a blast, I'll be posting video soon.

I'll be running HMS Saturday and GCAC on Sunday, let's see if I can keep up w/ you this weekend too, =)
Old 08-27-2007, 06:06 PM
Z1NONLY

Cool. What class do you run in.

Is this Justin, BSP?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:23 PM
l30thelion

Leo, BS!
Old 08-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Z1NONLY

Keep up??? Beating me doesn't count as "keeping up." Great job at Moroso.

BTW, John and I got rained out of our last two runs at the Subaru Challenge last weekend, but we did OK. 23rd and 26th in the pax out of 126 drivers. Don't know that I have ever seen that many drivers, that good, in one place.

Any way, no offence to my brother's STi, but I'm much more comfortable in my Z, even though I'm still adjusting to my new setup.

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 08-27-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:49 PM
atrus

I've been wanting to try autocross ever since I owned my prelude like 3 years ago. I never did get to though, so I'm thinking about coming out for this event with my Z, kinda nervous though, never been to an event before, and I have only been driving the Z for a couple months.

I read the novice handbook and some other bits here and there. Looks like I mainly need to bring my car and entry fee, and maybe some other small things? Hopefully this is a beginner friendly event At any rate, I think I may just bite the bullet and come out either way and see how it is.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Z1NONLY

That's about it. Don't forget your drivers license. (It has happened) As I said above, Staurday is the day to go if you are new to this, and it is very beginner friendly.

-Hope to see you there.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:47 PM
DriveI65

The grip there is awesome. I ran the National Tour there in 2006 and on a right hand turn 3 CDs went out the window from my visor. The 2 day drive is too much for a regular autocross though.

I have never seen an autocross video like that one. Was the video taken from a car or a motorcycle?
Old 08-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Z1NONLY

It was taken from a Mazda Miata, on a "fun day." I have only seen them do this (chase car video) once in the year and a half I have been autocrossing. It was fun though.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:17 PM
nicolaycastro

Yes, Justin is in BSP.

I dont think I'll be able to make it to GCAC this weekend, I'll try to make it to next event. Are you going to Moroso on Sunday night?

How did it go in Sebring Leo?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:35 AM
l30thelion

Sebring was amazing! As much as I enjoy Homestead Miami Speedway, Sebring is my favorite of the two.

Here is a video from the mid-afternoon session:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd7ljmPHzMY

Constructive criticism appreciated!
Old 08-29-2007, 05:50 AM
nicolaycastro

Nice!! where you driving solo?

It looked like you where doing a great job, you where catching up with the BMW in the turns.

On turn one you have to try to get a little closer to the wall, and hold it there a little bit longer. Good Job!
Old 08-29-2007, 06:13 AM
l30thelion

Yes, I was driving solo.

And yeah, I see what you are saying regarding Turn 1. I actually got in the passenger's seat w/ one of the instructors that has a Z, he was doing what you said to. In the last session I worked on that, too bad I didnt get much video of it, as I think I was faster in the last session, oh well, I'll never know.

The instructor's name was Luis, I think you know him, I believe he was your instructor at the NASA event you did at HMS. He's a super cool guy, I'll be seeing him this Sat at HMS w/ NASA. I'm going to try to see what I can do to get into HPDE 4 so I can run Time Trials, now that would be fun.

My goal is to be doing Time Trials by beginning of next year, lets see how it goes!

BTW, how much time do you think R-Compounds (Toyos/Victoracers) would buy a Z at Sebring vs the Bridgestone RE01Rs (140 Treadwear Rating)? I'm trying to figure out what I have to do to be competitive at the NASA TTs regionally?
Old 08-29-2007, 06:19 AM
atrus

Hey guys, there is a good chance I will prob be coming over alone on saturday, any good tips on extra stuff to bring? How long does the event usually last? Should I bring lunch with me, is there a place to stow some personal items? The novice manual seems to cover things pretty well, but I'd like to hear from some of you guys who actually meet where this is happening. I have like a 2+hr drive to get there, but this should be worth it.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Z1NONLY

Originally Posted by l30thelion
Sebring was amazing! As much as I enjoy Homestead Miami Speedway, Sebring is my favorite of the two.

Here is a video from the mid-afternoon session:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd7ljmPHzMY

Constructive criticism appreciated!
That looked good Leo. You were outbraking the BMW most of the time. Lines looked good for the most part too.

As for slicks, They are good for a few seconds on our 60-80 sec courses, but compounds that are good for road racing may not heat up fast enough for autocross and slicks that are good for autocross might overheat on a road course. (At least, that's what I have heard)
Old 08-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Z1NONLY

Originally Posted by atrus
Hey guys, there is a good chance I will prob be coming over alone on saturday, any good tips on extra stuff to bring? How long does the event usually last? Should I bring lunch with me, is there a place to stow some personal items? The novice manual seems to cover things pretty well, but I'd like to hear from some of you guys who actually meet where this is happening. I have like a 2+hr drive to get there, but this should be worth it.
Umbrella, rain or shine. (use it for shade) Change of clothes. We do supply lunch but bring some snacks, (that won't melt) just in case you get hungry before lunch is ready. (I can't concentrate when I'm hungry) We have park-bench/table combos but you may want to bring a little fold out chair to lean back and relax a bit. We sell bottled water for .50 but you could always bring your own.The staging area is all concrete and there is plenty of space. Most drivers stow their stuff on the ground to help mark their parking spot.

And a heads up, just in case you didn't notice on our website, The locals have been complaining about loud cars so if you have a loud exhaust, see about a temporary extension that will quiet it down a bit.

Other than that, just have fun!
Old 08-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Blooster

Question for you, Z1NONLY . . . LOVE my first Z and trying to keep it pristine forever . . . but been really itching to try out a course.
Is autocross tough on the car? Will driving it hard tear up my brand-new-wheels and tires, brakes, clutch, alignment and so on?
Your experienced comments would be appreciated.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Z1NONLY

Originally Posted by Blooster
Question for you, Z1NONLY . . . LOVE my first Z and trying to keep it pristine forever . . . but been really itching to try out a course.
Is autocross tough on the car? Will driving it hard tear up my brand-new-wheels and tires, brakes, clutch, alignment and so on?
Your experienced comments would be appreciated.
If you get into autocrossing and do many events, it's a little hard on the outside edges of the tires. (I go through a set of fronts a year, but I do a lot of events.) If you tell me what tires you are running, I could let you know if I have seen them at the track. (Some hold up better than others) Most summer tires do well.

All else isn't a problem. It doesn't hurt the clutch any more than launching from a stop light. (no extra traction like at a drag strip) You do use the brakes a lot, but the courses are too short to overheat any brakes I have used/observed. Cone rash (if you hit a cone) takes a little elbo grease to get out, but it comes out and leaves no marks. Same goes for wheels.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Z1NONLY

Originally Posted by nicolaycastro
Yes, Justin is in BSP.

I dont think I'll be able to make it to GCAC this weekend, I'll try to make it to next event. Are you going to Moroso on Sunday night?
I don't think so. I want two more events out of my tires and I am already on the wear bars in the rear. I will get out there again though.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:16 PM
Andres_Miami

SM2

I will try to get Max (BMW Coupe) this time

Quick Reply: Autocross invite SW Fla.