Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Where can I get a gear indicator for my Z?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 04:44 PM
tomzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I get a gear indicator for my Z?

Gentlemen - I need help on locating a track related electronic instrument for track use = Digital Gear Indicator??

I cannot find a source for a simple gear indicator for my Z. Acuem makes a wondeful little shift indicator (digital light) for 6 speed motorcyles. It is 3" x 2".

I have e mailed them asking if they will work on a car. No responses. I know you can get a fancy race display to replace the entire dash unit that reads out 1,259 functions including the gear. But, I just want a simple gear indicator (lighted) for my 6 speed tranny Z that tells me which gear I am in.

I am old and forget what gear I am in running around on the track. I dare not look at the shifter at 130mph (most likely 5th but ???), and my HPDE instructors are tired of me chanting the gear numbers throught the in-car communicators like Bart Star calling audibles.

Anybody put a Acuem gear indicator light on thier Z? It wires simply to the ECU on motorcycles?

Or any other source for a simple sfift indicator anybody knows about???
Old 12-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Jason Bourne

How about checking by feel? 5th gear is in an entirely different place than 4th or 6th.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:49 PM
tomzz

Default gear by feel??

Gear by feel? Well that what what I am trying to avoid as well. My cousin is my chief DE Coach and slaps my hand any time I am "feeling" the gear shift. She says (yes she - award winning DE PCA Instructor) says that I am only to have my hand on the shifter when I am actually shifting.

It takes one time segment to feel the "gear" placement and another time segment to shift. I am trying to avoid two time segments to shift gears or having to chant my gear position. I would prefer to use a gear indicator light as many pro drivires do with digital "gear indicators". Of course they also have sequential gear shifters with only up and back for up gear and down gear. That sure makes it easy for them. That may be the ciause of so many older pro race drivers these days.

The little Acuem unit would be just perfect if it worked on cars as well as motorcycles.

Any electronic geniuses out there that know if a motorcycle gear counter that wires to the bike ECU would work if it was wired to my Z's ECU???
Old 12-11-2004, 06:55 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

The "problem" is that motorcycle transmissions are sequential, while car transmissions are not. It would be fairly easy to put two lever switches to count upshifts and downshifts.

You could probably do something similar by putting switches in the shift gates so that you could send signals to a display.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:29 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also get it by making a circuit that takes the rpm signal and compares it against wheel speed. Then get one of those numbered lcd's to display the number. Its a hack but it works. Probably cost $20 bucks to make if you had the know how.

Here's some plans for one!

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30282/article.html

Last edited by zillinois; 12-12-2004 at 01:37 AM.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:40 PM
tomzz

Default gear light

Thanks Z of Illinois,

That sounds great!!!

That sounds like just the ticket. Now I just need an expert to make one for me with some instuctions for install. Know of anyone who needs spome 104 octane mad money??

Take Care. Where is Iliinois? I B down here just south of the KY/IL border.

Take Care and Thans Zill.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:46 PM
zillinois

Default Re: gear light

Originally posted by tomzz
Thanks Z of Illinois,

That sounds great!!!

That sounds like just the ticket. Now I just need an expert to make one for me with some instuctions for install. Know of anyone who needs spome 104 octane mad money??

Take Care. Where is Iliinois? I B down here just south of the KY/IL border.

Take Care and Thans Zill.
No problem. If you find somebody to make one, I'll take one too. If its not too much money.

I'm just off hwy 88 & 39/51 west of Chicago.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:12 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

I saw one on a racing trans yesterday. I think the company is Saenz. I'll do a search......6sp sequential that handles like 500 ft lb torque. Start saving.......over $10,000!

Found a link:

http://www.saenzperformance.com/transmissions/index.asp

BTW zillinois, Jack has 2.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:55 PM
redlinez

http://www.takakaira.com/performance...mula/main.html
Above is a sequential shifter for about $1500.
It appears they had a gear indicator, but stopped including them on anything but an NSX.
Looking at the price list you can add one for $166.
Bob

Last edited by redlinez; 12-12-2004 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:25 PM
tomzz

Default gear indicator

Thanks for the help - I sent them a note asking if it will work on a 350Z. Lets see what they say.