Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Ideas for quieting exhaust for Laguna Seca?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 09:28 PM
scubasteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas for quieting exhaust for Laguna Seca?

I was at Laguna Seca and decided for some stupid reason to do a "sound check" so I wouldn't have problems. It was really stupid idea because I was lifting all day at the sound booth (uphill straight between turns 5 and 6) and had no problems. I came into the hot pit and they told me that I was at 99 db!! That could not be possible. Anyway, after that, my car number was announced on the radio that I was on track. At the final run, I figured what the hell because I had not technically been black flagged and I went wide open up the straight........no flag!!! I never did get a straight answer from them, but I just don't like the $1,000 fine that the wonderful people of Monterey impose upon violators.

I saw some of the cars with exhaust exits that had a nozzle that pointed to the drivers side of the car (away from the monitor). Does any one have any suggestions for a fix? I have the NISMO exhaust, so welding something on is not really an option.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-17-2004, 06:45 AM
phoenixZ33

Put the stock exhaust back on when you run Laguna Seca. Some people take orange juice cans to muffle the noise, others make a pipe that points to the left as you saw.. Putting the stock muffler/exhaust on would be the easiest and probably best for HP.

Pineaplle juice can..

V8 can

Old 12-17-2004, 12:28 PM
daveh

Hi Steve, thanks for letting me drive your car. I seriously think that they made a mistake in the sound booth. My last car was louder than yours and I never had a problem. Like you said you definately weren't the loudest car out there. Since you were lifting all day anyways there is no chance of you getting fined. Even if you do get black flagged, you get 3 chances to fix the noise (read, you keep lifting when you go by the sound booth). You only get fined if you ignore the black flag.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:08 PM
scubasteve

Dave,
I know it could have been an error, but I just don't like that threat lingering above my and I would love to just blow by that booth wide open with no worries. I think I have an idea for a diversion. I'll talk to a muffler shop about it.

I like the pineapple juice can idea!! I'm having a party at my house Monday night, might have to just get some pineapple juice for drinks and save the cans!!!

Thanks for the input,
Steve
Old 12-22-2004, 07:39 AM
kyleturner

scuba-nice meeting you at the track. i have the NISMO exhaust too and never lifted at all. no one ever said anything at all about noise. there had to have been some kind of issue in the booth...
Old 12-22-2004, 03:40 PM
del105
15 f125

stuff some steel wool in it. Thats the easiest way/
Old 12-22-2004, 09:51 PM
scubasteve

Kyle,
nice meeting you, also. Well, I also have NISMO headers and RT high flow cats that might be opening things up. I know there must have been some issues, but I hate the constant threat. I went to a muffler shop and they could make a bolt on muffler that utilizes the factory mounts and a magnaflow tube that points the exhaust out the drivers side. I may go with that for $100.

-Steve
Old 12-23-2004, 06:04 AM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve:
I ran there with my procharged coupe, with the borla headers and catback exhaust, and never lifted throttle and never had an issue with noise. I think you should be fine on noise at LS. The little turn down pipe should be an inexpensive type of bolt on, is often used there, and you just fit it to replace your stock exhaust tips, if you really think you want to go with something else as a precaution. I will be running there again in January with Speedventures, so if I am flagged, will report back that our cars do cross the noise limit. But I doubt it.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:13 PM
daveh

I've heard of people buying DB meters from radioshack and conducting some tests on their own. Just find a remote back road and go crazy.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:15 PM
scubasteve

This seems silly, but sound testing is coming soon to Sears Point and Thunderhill, also. I wonder if any other tracks are doing the same? Becuase of this, I think that a modified muffler with turn down pipe is a good idea. The shop that I went to said it could fit easily to the factory mounts for my NISMO muffler. Just unbolt NISMO muffler and three hangers, bolt in new muffler and three hangers and done!!

I'll go to Radio Shack tomorrow to look at db meters.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:06 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by scubasteve
This seems silly, but sound testing is coming soon to Sears Point and Thunderhill, also. I wonder if any other tracks are doing the same? Becuase of this, I think that a modified muffler with turn down pipe is a good idea. The shop that I went to said it could fit easily to the factory mounts for my NISMO muffler. Just unbolt NISMO muffler and three hangers, bolt in new muffler and three hangers and done!!

I'll go to Radio Shack tomorrow to look at db meters.
Sears Point? Thunderhill? There is nothing there!! Is the sound disturbing the mating habits of an endangered moth or something?
Old 12-24-2004, 09:40 PM
scubasteve

For Sears Point, in Sonoma County, home to all the lost hippies that drive polluting VW Busses and blow more bong smoke than a forest fire....they just like to argue a lot. As far as Thunderhill, what's in willows??????