Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Anybody gone to the Panoz Racing School?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 11:55 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody gone to the Panoz Racing School?

I'm considering going to the Panoz Racing School this Spring. They offer courses at Road Atlanta, Sebring and Texas Motor Speedway.

Any comments on which track I should pick?
Is there any weather issue with going to Florida or Georgia in the Spring?
Anyone have experience with Panoz?

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:42 PM
tomzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anybody gone to the Panoz Racing School?

I did the Road Atlanta Panoz School. I would suggest sunny Road Atlanta in the spring.

The Panoz track days are what you get out of it. They will not agressively schedule an instructor in your car, even got group 1 students. The instructors are there to answer Q's and drive with you only if you ask. But they are very good race drivers and if you are agressive and ask for help, it might be worth the high price. Also, if you want a great track day by yourself, do Road Atlanta with Panoz. They are a little pricy compared to Car Club HPDE's. Road Atlanta is my favorire HPDE track of the mid south bunch. Barber is a wonderful experience, but Road Atlanta really is a great feeling road course with so much variety.

I do not have experience with other Panoz track day sites.

Good luck with a warm weather track. by the by, you also should do Barber some time. It is a road track experience of the highest level. We should all do Barber before death.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:32 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a friend of mine did the panoz driving school. he is already a good driver - sponsored drift driver who is flown all over the country for events - but he still said it was a great experience and well worth the 500 bucks. im pretty sure he did it at road atlanta also.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:59 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Geoff, good choices!

I'd suggest Road Atlanta. Fast like Road America, and a true road coarse. I'd love to do/recommend Sebring, but it's flat and BUMPY! Speedways are, well a large oval with a makeshift road coarse added......

But Road Atlanta Spring events can be.....heavily humid.....bring rain gear!

You'll LOVE the last turn, after the bridge.......

Now that I ponder this.....I really need to join you!
Old 01-08-2005, 08:39 PM
zillinois

Default Re: Re: Anybody gone to the Panoz Racing School?

Originally posted by tomzz
I did the Road Atlanta Panoz School. I would suggest sunny Road Atlanta in the spring.

The Panoz track days are what you get out of it. They will not agressively schedule an instructor in your car, even got group 1 students. The instructors are there to answer Q's and drive with you only if you ask. But they are very good race drivers and if you are agressive and ask for help, it might be worth the high price. Also, if you want a great track day by yourself, do Road Atlanta with Panoz. They are a little pricy compared to Car Club HPDE's. Road Atlanta is my favorire HPDE track of the mid south bunch. Barber is a wonderful experience, but Road Atlanta really is a great feeling road course with so much variety.

I do not have experience with other Panoz track day sites.

Good luck with a warm weather track. by the by, you also should do Barber some time. It is a road track experience of the highest level. We should all do Barber before death.
Thanks for the info! Road Atlanta sounds pretty good.

I read some reviews of Skip Barber Schools and they said the Barber schools had some money troubles, was bought out by some prior students and was going through a transition period and that the school was not that good anymore. Any truth to that? Also, don't the Barber schools use a one seater race car? I was looking more for a GT oriented driving school.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:42 PM
zillinois

Originally posted by EnthuZ
Geoff, good choices!

I'd suggest Road Atlanta. Fast like Road America, and a true road coarse. I'd love to do/recommend Sebring, but it's flat and BUMPY! Speedways are, well a large oval with a makeshift road coarse added......

But Road Atlanta Spring events can be.....heavily humid.....bring rain gear!

You'll LOVE the last turn, after the bridge.......

Now that I ponder this.....I really need to join you!
Bruce, come on down. I'm looking at some time in March or April. I had a blast at Road America it would be fun to have both tracks under my belt.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:47 PM
zillinois

Originally posted by hndumafia
a friend of mine did the panoz driving school. he is already a good driver - sponsored drift driver who is flown all over the country for events - but he still said it was a great experience and well worth the 500 bucks. im pretty sure he did it at road atlanta also.
Thanks. The school is like $2850 for 3 days so every piece of info helps. Most of the reviews I could find on Panoz have been pretty good.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:00 AM
StaticCling

Question

Yes... Need more info.

I am thinking of going as well. Here are some of the questions that I have:

1) Is the 3-Day Course really just a glorified HPDE in a GT-RA or is it really good training for racing/driving competively?

2) Anyone's take on Panoz, are they a decent school of the others available?

3) Does this lead in anyway to a certification (SCCA Competitive License) or ability to race in any series?

I will also send these questions to the panoz school.

Zillinois, you might have a classmate/rival
Old 01-11-2005, 12:36 PM
zillinois

Great questions StaticCling. I look forward to Panoz's reply. I think it would be awesome if you and Enthuz would attend. ParTY!!

My take on Panoz is since the car was purpose built for racing in SCCA that they would be more race/competitively oriented. Plus you can apply to get a SCCA regional license during the 3 dayer. In the 3 day class, you get passing and pace car start practice. So it seemed pretty competetion oriented from the description.

Last edited by zillinois; 01-11-2005 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:19 PM
zfastest

Originally posted by hndumafia
Who are you talking about?
Old 01-14-2005, 02:46 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

his name is jayr audije (jay-r..at least thats how everyone says it) .