Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

How long will brakes last on track?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 02:06 PM
DeludedBuzz

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How long will brakes last on track?

I have the original brake pads, they're down to 3mm/4mm (front/rear). I'm planning on two HPDE track events in the middle of February and early March, but I won't be doing much driving of any sort until then.

Will my pads last through both track sessions (I'm somewhat of a noob so I'm don't believe I use the brakes as much as you hard core folks)? Or should I replace them beforehand or between events?

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2005, 03:42 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

You didn't mention where your HPDE days will be held. Depending on the track, high-speed straights followed by heavy braking will quickly eat up pads. Worse yet, even if you've been easy on them on the street, the OEM pads tend to get hot enough to glaze the first time you hit the track. In my experience, OEM brakes are the single, biggest factor in limiting your time (and fun) on the track!

Part of the reason is that when you are new to performance driving, you will tend to over brake more than experienced drivers. Learning how to properly modulate your brakes takes time! No shame in this, but it can lead to thermal breakdown of your Z's brakes. IMHO- browse some of the other brake discussions and pick up some high performance pads. Bed them in correctly. Upgrade your brake fluid to a good DOT 4 product and there'll be less worry at your upcoming track day events. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing!

Last edited by dkmura; 01-11-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:55 PM
stumpmj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How long will brakes last on track?

I'd replace them before your first day with some higher temperature range pads. They should last for both of your track days. You can swap the stock pads back in after the second event. I'd suggest either Carbotech Panther+ or Hawk HPS pads as a good starter pad. The Hawks are cheap and they seem to hold up prety well. You may want to buy two sets of rear pads. My rears only last for one trackday but I brake pretty aggressively. I'd definently check your pads between events for wear. I'd also suggest changing your brake fluid to higher temp stuff (try Valvoline Syntec, its cheap and you can get it at Autozone) but its not an absolute necessity.

Originally posted by DeludedBuzz
I have the original brake pads, they're down to 3mm/4mm (front/rear). I'm planning on two HPDE track events in the middle of February and early March, but I won't be doing much driving of any sort until then.

Will my pads last through both track sessions (I'm somewhat of a noob so I'm don't believe I use the brakes as much as you hard core folks)? Or should I replace them beforehand or between events?

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2005, 05:13 PM
DeludedBuzz

Thanks for the info!

I'm already running Super Blue, which I'll flush and replace before my first event.

The main question is is with 3mm/4mm will my oem brake pads last the one or two HPDE events (Buttonwillow and Infineon, both technical tracks not a lot of high speed straights.)
Old 01-11-2005, 05:20 PM
daveh

Without knowing your skill level it is hard to make a recommendation. I'll second the notion of getting a second set of pads and just swapping out before the 2 events for piece of mind and SAFETY. Stock pads simply can not hold up to the heat levels found at the track. You also didn't mention if you have a base model or track model. If you have a base, than I would definately bring a second set of pads for the rear. I get about 3 days out of my rear pads.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:25 PM
DeludedBuzz

Wow brake pads look like they go pretty fast. I'm a noob as far ask my skill level goes. I did two events last year (320 minutes of total track time, 16 runs of about 20 minutes each.) And I haven't replaced the brake pads that came with the car when I first bought it new (wait does it mean I'm not braking enough when I'm on the track )

Do the aftermarket pads wear faster than the OEM ones? Also how hard is it to replace the pads yourself?

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-11-2005, 05:47 PM
C Ray Z

Default I changed to a new brake system

I do not think the touring brake system is safe for track days. I found after one day that my pads were over half worn and the were over heating. I quit until I could afford a complete brake system. I got the 350zbrake system that use a Wilwood 6 pot front and 4 pot rear and it allowed me to reduce my times another 8 seconds on a 2.8 mile track.

I guess I am saying if you plan to track more regularly consider a brake system upgrade don't stay with the standard one piston brake system.

Good luck
Old 01-11-2005, 06:00 PM
GY-Z

Default Re: I changed to a new brake system

Originally posted by C Ray Z
I do not think the touring brake system is safe for track days. I found after one day that my pads were over half worn and the were over heating. I quit until I could afford a complete brake system. I got the 350zbrake system that use a Wilwood 6 pot front and 4 pot rear and it allowed me to reduce my times another 8 seconds on a 2.8 mile track.

I guess I am saying if you plan to track more regularly consider a brake system upgrade don't stay with the standard one piston brake system.

Good luck
wow, 8 seconds?
hm..
Old 01-11-2005, 08:13 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So much depends on your driving style, and the track.
I would put on a new set of pads as suggested above, properly bedded. Especially since Buttonwillow is a track with 21 turns, and although you do not get to screaming speeds, depending on the configuration you can easily get to 120mph on at least two spots every lap, possibly three.....it is hard on brakes.

And Infineon? Ah, the lovely Infineon. You come haulin butt down the straight after the carousel turn 6, with a concrete k-rail wall two feet away on the left straight at a tire wall over 100mph and then smack the brakes into a hairpin turn 7....you cannot be thinking about gee whiz hope the brakes are ok.....or into the hairpin turn 11 surrounded by a full 180 degrees of wall and tire stacks like an arcade of fender munching decor......

Change the pads, get the lines upgraded to braided stainless, and watch them closely. But don't expect to run those two tracks with 3mm of stock pad and have a good, and safe, time of it.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:16 AM
StaticCling

I would recommend changing the pads to new ones, because that last thing you want is to run out of pads before the day is over. However, before you go around to changing the whole brake system gauge your interest in HPDE driving events. I would say you could get by for your first event with everything stock except for a set of new pads due to there wear (don't have to be the best).

Then based on how you like it decide what you want to do. I did 10 track events (HPDE) last year on the stock touring brakes, and yes they have some limitations. If you are going to pursue more events than the first thing you should do is remove the backing plates from the brakes, add high temp fluid (which you already have), and get a higher temp pad. The downside of most high temp pads is that they will be loud and dust a lot. That is why I have two sets of pads (street and track). Which track pad you get is another discussion, but don't worry about getting the best right now.

After some more events, than it is time to upgrade the brakes. I got the 13" front kit from stoptech and it works well for me.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:57 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely change out the pads since they will likely overheat faster for one main reasons. Due to the fact they are much thinner, they have less thermal mass.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:00 AM
DeludedBuzz

Thanks guys. I'm gonna order a set of Hawk HPS soon. As for a bigger brake set, if I get more serious I'm probably gonna look at a dedicated track car, e30 or e36 325is...
Old 01-15-2005, 09:05 AM
mcclaskz

Save yourself a lot of money and headache and get the track car now. The brakes on the touring/performance are not adequate at all. You will have a problem. The car is too heavy for such small brakes. Get the highest temp. pads you can. Unfortunately there are not any options. Go with XP9 carbotechs and get ready to get new sets of rotors. This car will make you become an expert about brakes really quickly...