Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Lap timers

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 08:59 AM
daveh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lap timers

What lap timers are people running? Most of the local clubs (scca, nasa, speedventures) use the amb transponder system. The only reason I don't want to use them is that once you use their system the even becomes a "timed" competition which insurance companies don't like. The in car display for these costs $500 so the total system would run roughly $860.

I think the most common unit that I've seen is the longacre hot lap timer. people seem to be happy with them.

Unitech racing recommended the AIM lap timer to me. http://www.aimsports.com/products/tg/index.html He can get them for $259 which includes everything (display, sensor, and beacon).

thoughts?
Old 06-24-2005, 09:13 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard alot of good things about the hot lap timer as well.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:26 AM
EnthuZ
Banned

Looks great! Will it easily fit the navigation compartment? Many in my area also like their Longacre Hot Lap Timers, but this new one looks like it may be better.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:36 AM
daveh

I saw the display at unitech. It is nice and small. It probably would fit into the nav compartment, but I think I would just velcro it to the outside of the nav door.
The longacre one looks like a 1980 commodore computer. The AIM is purdier. Maybe we can convince Unitech to do a group buy.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:30 AM
John

Dave, I'd probably be on board for the AIM timer... if Unitech doesn't want to do a GB, then perhaps BJ @ 350Evo would since they sell Mychron products...
Old 06-24-2005, 01:14 PM
dwnshift

www.aimsports.com/products/tg/index.html
Cheers
BJZ

ps... we are also trying to get the protocalls completed so the the Pista dash will hook straight into the CAN for the 350Z. Then with the connection of two wires......it would log wheel speed, RPM,oil psi,fuel, t position and lots more.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:39 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most people I know who run qith NASA use the HotLap timer.

http://www.advantagemotorsports.com/LTS.htm
Old 06-25-2005, 10:57 AM
ALong

I have a LongAcre Hot Lap timer that I am selling if anyone is interested
Old 06-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Skrill

I would also be interested in the AIM MyChron. Any pics of where folks install them? Is there a way to install it on a quick and easy temp basis (so I can pull it out when I am not at the track)? Where would the IR reciever go ( .... on the dash)?
Old 06-25-2005, 07:56 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I use the Ultra Lap and it is pretty cool http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/54-XT-PACK you can time various events and download them to your laptop to keep, if you have a buddy with it you can put the transponders at different points on the track to get split times.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:25 PM
StaticCling

I have the longacre hot lap. When I bought it, I was torn between the AIM and it. Although it is kinda 'simple', it uses common, easy to find parts. For example, if you want to extend the cord from the receiver to the display, just buy/make a phone cord. Also, the batteries are just a 9v and 4 C's. I also like the way it mounts to the harness bar easily with zip ties.

Just my opinion though.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:25 PM
J Ritt

I talked to Jackson about this a while ago...I might be down for one of those AIM units.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:56 PM
commasense

If you want to go beyond simple lap timing to real data acquisition, I can recommend MaxQData.

I got it last year and really enjoy it. It ties into your OBD II and, with an optional GPS unit, can give you a full track map that correlates to the data collected.

The MaxQData module is a black box with accellerometers and other circuitry that collects data from the OBD II and the GPS and records it on the Pocket PC. The custom software provided lets you analyze the data graphically in all sorts of interesting ways. And the kinds of data you can collect can help you analyze performance mods as well as your track performance.

I don't pretend to be able to use all of the unit's capabilities, but just being able to see the track map (from which you can derive your lap times) and a graphic display of Speed, RPM, latitudinal and longitudinal Gs, Throttle Position, MAP, MAF, Coolant Temperature, Spark Advance, and O2 Sensor Voltage is very informative, and just cool.

The top of the line unit is a bit pricier than the other systems mentioned here: about $1,000, including a Pocket PC. So if you already have a PPC (but not a Palm or other palmtop) you'll save that cost. And if you don't, you'll be able to use the PPC for other things.

If you don't want the OBD II connection (which is not strictly necessary just for analyzing track performance), you can get a unit that costs only $400, including a PPC.

The system was created and is sold by an engineer (and sport driver) who works for Microsoft. He's extremely knowledgeable and friendly. I've had a few problems with my unit (which he finally tracked down and solved) and he has been unfailingly responsive, patient, and helpful.

I haven't had a chance to use it this year so far, but I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces at Watkins Glen in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:16 AM
dwnshift

The AIM lat timer comes in two versions 6 volt (stand alone batteries) and 12 volt (which can be hard wired to your car).
Retail pricing is $279.95 12 volt and 249.95
We can get the 12 volts for $249.95 and the 6 volts for 219.95...just shoot me an email.
Cheers
BJ@350EVO.com
Old 06-29-2005, 06:31 PM
racin

For racing, we have the AMB in the car. For days I'm instructing, I have the Hot Lapper. Basic, but it works. The AIM seems to be a good choice, if you want the possibility of integration later on with one of their systems.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:47 AM
J Ritt

Has anyone pursued the AIM unit any further and can give more feedback on it? I think I'm ready to buy.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:21 AM
racin

You may want to look at the new Traqmate data acquisition system. The full unit, with display retails at $1K, and looks to be able to provide some useful driving data in addition to the display of lap times.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:04 PM
daveh

I ended up going with the amb transponder because nasa and speedventures use them. Maybe some day down the road when I have funds, I will get the in-car display.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:51 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Thumbs up MaxQData FTMFW!

Originally Posted by commasense
If you want to go beyond simple lap timing to real data acquisition, I can recommend MaxQData.

I got it last year and really enjoy it. It ties into your OBD II and, with an optional GPS unit, can give you a full track map that correlates to the data collected.

The MaxQData module is a black box with accellerometers and other circuitry that collects data from the OBD II and the GPS and records it on the Pocket PC. The custom software provided lets you analyze the data graphically in all sorts of interesting ways. And the kinds of data you can collect can help you analyze performance mods as well as your track performance.

I don't pretend to be able to use all of the unit's capabilities, but just being able to see the track map (from which you can derive your lap times) and a graphic display of Speed, RPM, latitudinal and longitudinal Gs, Throttle Position, MAP, MAF, Coolant Temperature, Spark Advance, and O2 Sensor Voltage is very informative, and just cool.

The top of the line unit is a bit pricier than the other systems mentioned here: about $1,000, including a Pocket PC. So if you already have a PPC (but not a Palm or other palmtop) you'll save that cost. And if you don't, you'll be able to use the PPC for other things.

If you don't want the OBD II connection (which is not strictly necessary just for analyzing track performance), you can get a unit that costs only $400, including a PPC.

The system was created and is sold by an engineer (and sport driver) who works for Microsoft. He's extremely knowledgeable and friendly. I've had a few problems with my unit (which he finally tracked down and solved) and he has been unfailingly responsive, patient, and helpful.

I haven't had a chance to use it this year so far, but I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces at Watkins Glen in a couple of weeks.
i'm glad i found this thread instead of posting up a new one...

a rep from MaxQData.com came out to a NASA event this past weekend (cal speedway). all i can say about the capabilities of this unit are "WOW!" he can literally find 10+ seconds in your times just by analyzing the way you drive, not the sort of upgrades you have.

he used a great example - one car (stock 'vette), two different drivers with different experience levels. at the end of the day, me and a few other guys looked at the software and were amazed at the level of detail that it can present. it compared both drivers on the track, but not just overall lap time, when they accelerated, when they hit the braking zone, lateral g's, etc, all from their base (ie-cheapest) unit!

i know it's been a couple of years for this thread, but you can now just do a DIY system! you just need a pocket PC, GPS antenna, and their software. i'm in the process of researching the components i need, but from what i am finding, it could be had for about $300, which is probably the best bang for the buck "mod" you can get that can actually make you go faster. i'll tell you what, the software capability alone is what sold me.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:15 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Since this thread has been bumped...

For data acquisition I really like the traqmate system. It does just about everything, including video sync, but if you are on a budget, then the MaxQ is the next best thing.

If you are just looking for lap times though, I would go ahead and get an AMB transponder. It really is the standard that most clubs and competion bodues are using.

Quick Reply: Lap timers