Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Carrying extra wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 09:36 AM
njsho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrying extra wheels

How do you guys carry race rubber to an event? Doesn't seem like there's enough room in the Z to carry 4 extra rims.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:38 AM
BA Cutler

I used to pack mine in there (275/35-18 Hoosiers), until I went for the 4 X 8 trailer. 1 goes where the spare is, 1 goes high, horizontal and behind the driver's seat, 1 goes vertical behind the passenger's seat... wedged up high, and the last 1 goes in the passenger's seat... vertical or if you have an air tank or something in the seat, to elevate it; horizontal.

The trailer set-up ends up costing much more than you first imagine, but now that it's complete... I wish I had gone this route on day one. I could've avoided a lot of interior damage.

BC
Old 09-13-2005, 04:41 PM
hippie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's how I used to pack mine. One in the spare tire hole, one on a blanket on the package tray between/behind the seats with some blocks of wood to prop up the back of the tire to keep it flat, and the other two vertically in the passenger seat. I ran 245/35/18s, but I think the 275s will fit the same way. The only thing I found to be careful of is the outer tire in the pass. seat will rub against the door handle...use a sweat shirt or something as padding so you don't rub the paint off the handle like I did.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:10 PM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mmmmh... No way I'm putting a 40lb wheel IN the car with me.

I don't want to be crushed by it should a moron cut me off while driving to the track.

BA Cutler, what kind of hitch to you have ?
Old 09-13-2005, 07:08 PM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a 6x8 trailer I tow two sets of wheels/tires with me.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:56 PM
drivesolo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm guessing most guys have the budget Harbor Freight or Northern Tool 40"x48" bed trailer w/ the 12" wheels. I run pretty much the same setup as BA Cutler 'cept since I still have the stock exhaust, I have a different hitch than most folks that tow the a trailer. A trailer is so much easier than packing the Z w/ tires and gear.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:12 AM
FritzMan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't run race tires/rims but if I did I would mount a typical trunk-mount bike rack (the type with two pegs sticking out) on the hatch and put at least 2 wheels there.

The hatch can handle the weight because at least once a week I mount one or two bikes on my Hunch rack on the hatch.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:21 AM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a flatbed 6x8, I had it for my Camaro so I could tow tires and my motorcycle to events.

I've got a custom hitch built by TuxedoParkRacing.com
Old 09-14-2005, 06:33 AM
BA Cutler

Kolia... that's right! Every time I hopped into that thing with those wheels/tires and set out on the highway, I kept thinking about where those puppies would go in an accident. Ugly pictures kept popping up in my mind.

The trailer really is the way to go. One of the benefits I didn't realize prior to having one was... how nice and neat my garage ended up being. All my A/X stuff is in one place, ready to go at a moment's notice.

The hitch design I have was designed by LateApex. LateApex gave technical advise and assistance... drivesolo did the welding on the receiver and reinforcement welding around the bumper brackets (they'll become accordians if not reinforced... PDXRacer says his 2005's brackets came reinforced already)... and Torquelift in Kent, WA fabbed the insert. The design is similar to others that came out later, the receiver points down from the bumper, between the muffler and the bumper skin. The insert is "L" shaped. LateApex's design included a bolt that locks the receiver and insert in place, to prevent rattling... when towing my trailer, there isn't any rattling noise being transmitted through the bumper at all. When not in use, the whole affair is not visible.

Someone was selling a similar set-up on this site, believe me... having gone through this effort, piece-by-piece, the price I remember him asking was more than reasonable!

BC
Old 09-14-2005, 07:42 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

It's hard enough in the G...can't imagine how much of a PITA it would be in the Z!
Old 09-15-2005, 09:34 AM
DriveI65

Before I got the Harbor Freight trailer I carried 4 in the car with air tank, cooler... To keep the tire on the ledge behind me from taking my head off I tied the tire to the strut with rope. Also you should use rugs to protect any surfaces so they don't get marred up.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:53 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you carried FOUR wheels in the Z?!

i can barely get two 18x9.5 with 275s in the car.. one in the spare tire hole and one in the passengerseat seat-belted in.

there's no way i could do what the normal drifters do, aka put one in the spare tire tub, and one resting between the cabin and the strut tower brace

where do you weld the trailer hitch to? there's like no hard points underneath the car other than the tow hook and maybe the rear crash beam...

Originally Posted by DriveI65
Before I got the Harbor Freight trailer I carried 4 in the car with air tank, cooler... To keep the tire on the ledge behind me from taking my head off I tied the tire to the strut with rope. Also you should use rugs to protect any surfaces so they don't get marred up.

Last edited by Chebosto; 09-16-2005 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:00 AM
del105
15 f125

I carried 2 like chebosto and 2 vertically in the passenger seat. I drove 10+ hrs multiple times with that set up. I would reccommend blackwatch racing bags so you don't dirty up the instide of your car or scratch anything. I used a set of full tread Azenis as my rain tires and just drove to the events on them.