Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Are Koni better than Tokico D Specs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 01:10 AM
DRE350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Koni better than Tokico D Specs?

I know guys that have Koni and Tokico D Specs are happy with them but it seems that most street cars that go to tracks once a while are using Koni shocks. Why is that? Has anyone ever compared Tokico with Koni back to back?

From what I understand Koni's are easier to adjust for the rears. What other advantages does Koni have over Tokico?
Old 03-09-2006, 01:30 AM
mavericck

get Bilstein or Eibach.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:01 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BMW///M3///PWR
get Bilstein or Eibach.
if you are lowered stay away from the Bilstein's.

I have the Tokico's and they are great. Yes it is a little more difficult to adjust them, but once you get them dialed in where you want them they are great.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:13 AM
Tim Mahoney

I looked into this a little too. The Koni Yellows have a very good reputation and seem to be the standard of the industry due to a long motorsport history and good factory support. They adjust from the top and are single adjustable, rebound damping only. The "race" Koni's like Truechoice or TC Kline are double adjustable, compression & rebound, and have one or the other adjuster **** on the bottom. Adjustable spring perches are part of the package too. There's a long thread on the Truechoice setup on this board.

The D Specs can be ordered as shocks only, or with adjustable spring perches/springs as part of the package. The are single adjustable from the top, but the single adjuster alters both compression and rebound. The D Specs have some adjuster extensions available for the rear that will allow damping changes without dropping the shocks, that clinched it for me. Here's a link to the install on a G35 http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86676

The damper set price is $150-200 cheaper than the Koni Yellows, can be adjusted without any disassembly, and seem to be a good value. I'm installing the D Spec dampers this weekend, and will run them on both street and track very soon.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:23 AM
del105
15 f125

I would say the koni's are superior for 3 reasons. easier to adjust, easy/cheaper to rebuild, can have them rebuilt to custom settings.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:47 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Thanks for the link Tim. I just ordered the extensions.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Good info thus far. I was doing some preliminary research on the D-Specs, but was unsure since all my AutoX buddies rave about their Koni setups. Where have you guys found the best deal on the Tokicos then?
Old 03-09-2006, 11:00 AM
abstrakt

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Good info thus far. I was doing some preliminary research on the D-Specs, but was unsure since all my AutoX buddies rave about their Koni setups. Where have you guys found the best deal on the Tokicos then?
Cheapest I found is $545 shipped
Old 03-09-2006, 11:17 AM
overboostedtoy

Originally Posted by abstrakt
Cheapest I found is $545 shipped
where is that?
Old 03-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Tim Mahoney

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
I'm sure the Koni's are great, especially if you need the custom valving/rebuildability mentioned above. Koni & Bilstein are the "names" for a reason. Having no first hand experience with any aftermarket brand, and hoping the performance is similar, the most important thing for me was ease of adjustment. The vendors I contacted couldn't assure me that the rear Koni's could be adjusted without dropping the shocks. With the extenders the Tokico's could. If the Koni Golds with "self adjusting" valving were available for the G maybe I would have gone that route and avoided any manual adjustment at all.

Every time I go to a track day it takes me 3 hrs or so to prep the car already (pads, bleed, oil change, wheels, etc..) and the last thing I need is turning a shock adjustment into another project. As far as performance goes, I have no doubt that all 3 brands offer better track performance than the stockers that are in there now.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:40 PM
merlot350Z

We have used the yellow double adjustable Koni shocks for all of our Z-28's and our new 350Z. In T-2 we have one 1st place and 2 second place finishes at the Mid-Ohio runoffs. They are easy to adjust, both top and bottom, you do need to jack the car up for bottom adjustment at front. Koni is reasonable to rebuild them but you shouldnt need that for a few years. We deal with Lee 'Grimes at Koni, who is also a racer, 800-922-2616. The factory sealed shocks are no good unless you are only going to run at one track or will only autocross the car. Even then you need someone to valve the shock who knows what they are doing and knows the track you will be running. Good luck with your racing. Bob Hines
Old 03-09-2006, 01:44 PM
merlot350Z

I forgot to mention that TC Kline had a special Koni shock built just for the 350Z. He is located in Hilliard Ohio 614-771-7744. TC has been in professional and amatuer racing for many years and is known for his car preperation. Hes also very knowledgable about suspension tuning. And no, you dont need to take any of the shocks off to make adjustments. I did have to jack up the car and wear long sleeves to adjust the bottom of the rea shocks as the tires were so hot from 3 or 4 laps on the track. I think we were getting about 180 to 190 degrees of tire temp. bobhines
Old 03-09-2006, 05:58 PM
DRE350

Originally Posted by merlot350Z
I forgot to mention that TC Kline had a special Koni shock built just for the 350Z. He is located in Hilliard Ohio 614-771-7744. TC has been in professional and amatuer racing for many years and is known for his car preperation. Hes also very knowledgable about suspension tuning. And no, you dont need to take any of the shocks off to make adjustments. I did have to jack up the car and wear long sleeves to adjust the bottom of the rea shocks as the tires were so hot from 3 or 4 laps on the track. I think we were getting about 180 to 190 degrees of tire temp. bobhines
Do TC Kline have a website? I can get DA Konis made here in Oz but the cost is Aus$6000 just for the shocks.

Everyone is saying how the Konis are easier to adjust. Does anyone have any pics cause I can't picture it. Don't they both need adjustments from the top of the strut?
Old 03-09-2006, 06:06 PM
DRE350

Forgot to mention. I go to the track 7-8 times per year but it's a daily driver so I need it to be comfortable too. So I've chosen to put RS*R springs because their spring rates are comparable to stock.

Now I'm just deciding whether to match them up with Koni or Tokico shocks.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:28 PM
knight_white99

I know many guys have the Koni's, but I have been very satisfied with my Tokicos. The trick is finding the right springs for your application.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Axelerate

Originally Posted by DRE350
Do TC Kline have a website? I can get DA Konis made here in Oz but the cost is Aus$6000 just for the shocks.

Everyone is saying how the Konis are easier to adjust. Does anyone have any pics cause I can't picture it. Don't they both need adjustments from the top of the strut?
Websight:
http://www.tcklineracing.com/nonbmw.htm
Prices are reasonable, just get some T2 springs and your set.

As far as adjusting the Koni's, the front adjust from the top, accesable from the engine bay. The rear's adjust from the top, but they are accesable from the wheel well. Meaning all you have to do is jack it up. There is a small opening at the top with a **** that has holes in it. All you have to do is put something in the hole and move it right or left. I use a small allen wrench, and it adjusts 10 full turns from soft. It's very easy to do and you DO not have to take off the entire strut.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Axelerate

Actually, if you go to the TC Kline link and look at the pictures you can see the rear adjustment at the top.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:45 AM
Tim Mahoney

Originally Posted by DRE350
Forgot to mention. I go to the track 7-8 times per year but it's a daily driver so I need it to be comfortable too. So I've chosen to put RS*R springs because their spring rates are comparable to stock.

Now I'm just deciding whether to match them up with Koni or Tokico shocks.
Hey, I wish I had started this thread a month ago! A lot of great input from those in the know. I scratch around on track track days with my daily driver too, but getting the scoop on what really works, and how, is a big help. Thanks to all for your information. I can use all the enlightenment I can get.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:10 AM
DRE350

Originally Posted by Axelerate
Websight:
http://www.tcklineracing.com/nonbmw.htm
Prices are reasonable, just get some T2 springs and your set.

As far as adjusting the Koni's, the front adjust from the top, accesable from the engine bay. The rear's adjust from the top, but they are accesable from the wheel well. Meaning all you have to do is jack it up. There is a small opening at the top with a **** that has holes in it. All you have to do is put something in the hole and move it right or left. I use a small allen wrench, and it adjusts 10 full turns from soft. It's very easy to do and you DO not have to take off the entire strut.
Thanks.

But there's a serious price difference between DA Konis and Tokico D Spec shocks. Konis being $1676 and Tokico only $550. I know you get what you pay for but I think it's only fair to compare Koni Sports (yellows) and the Tokico

Thanks for all the input guys. Keep them coming.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:04 AM
merlot350Z

Keep in mind that a good set of springs and shocks are the cheapest drop in lap times you will every buy. You get what you pay for and TC has done the engineering for you. Good luck with your racing. bobhines

Quick Reply: Are Koni better than Tokico D Specs?